What does "AC3 pass through" with "DTS"?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
BRotondi

What does "AC3 pass through" with "DTS"?

Post by BRotondi »

Hello

By mistake I selected "AC3 pass through" on a 1500bps DTS. Surprisingly I got a 640bps AC3.

What happened? Is AC3 included in the DTS and has been extracted from it? Or was this a reencode?

Thanks!
Bruno
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: What does "AC3 pass through" with "DTS"?

Post by nightstrm »

The only way you can get an AC3 soundtrack from a DTS input is to re-encode. As of .9.5, Handbrake has the ability to do this; it is a key feature for those of us who encode HD sources like HDDVD and Bluray for platforms that do not support DTS (like the AppleTV).
BRotondi

Post by BRotondi »

So this is a bug!? There should be no "AC3 Passthrough" for DTS-Streams...
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

BRotondi wrote:So this is a bug!? There should be no "AC3 Passthrough" for DTS-Streams...
Not sure if I'd classify it as a bug. I believe it is this way to accommodate presets -- i.e. you can use the same preset regardless of if the source has an AC3 or DTS soundtrack. Since your source only has a DTS soundtrack, it did what it needed to do in order to output an AC3 soundtrack.

As I said, I think this is intended behavior; however, someone else might chime in. Can you post a copy of the activity log for this encode?
BRotondi

Post by BRotondi »

nightstrm wrote:Can you post a copy of the activity log for this encode?
Where can I find it?
mduell wrote:>logfile.txt will only log the progress from stdout. The activity log info the developers want to see goes to stderr, so it would be 2>logfile.txt
If this is correct: I did not make a log...