Dolby TruHD/DTS HD-MA

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
bondoo0

Dolby TruHD/DTS HD-MA

Post by bondoo0 »

I tried searching, but wasn't able to find an answer. I'm trying to find out if Handbrake can handle Dolby Tru HD or (DTS HD-MA) when converting VC-1 to H264? I'd like to be able to leave the HD Audio on the files if possible.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: Dolby TruHD/DTS HD-MA

Post by nightstrm »

Not in MP4, and I'm pretty sure not in MKV... it will use the core AC3/DTS track.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Correct, handbrake can't do TrueHD or DTS-HD passthru. The mp4 registration authority has an entry for TrueHD. It also has entries for DTS-HD/MA, but they link to a closed specification that we can't get a copy of "DTS Document #9302J81100, Implementation of DTS Audio in Media Files Based on ISO/IEC 14496". I've yet to see a player that supports any of these audio codec in mp4. mkv supports TrueHD, DTS-HD/MA, but we haven't written the code to allow passthru for these codecs. Patches welcome :wink:
bondoo0

Post by bondoo0 »

Sorry, I should have mentioned in mkv. Thanks for the clarification.
Monroville

Post by Monroville »

To add to this, what options do you choose under "AUDIO" to retain the DTS audio track, much less at the best level? I understand you can increase the bit rate of the audio recording, but I've also noticed between MKVs that whether I handbraked it at 160kps or 640kps, there wasn't much of a difference if any in the sound quality.

I've also noticed that sometimes when choosing "DTS passthru" the sound wouldn't record at all.

What would be the best setting under the AUDIO section to retain surround sound (Dolby ProLogic, 6 Channel Discrete, AC3 passthru, AC3 (ffmpeg), DTS passthru, vorbis)?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The passthrough options are usually best.

How are you ripping your BDs (on-the-fly decryption then encoding from dic, ISO image, BD file/folder structure, MKV file with MakeMKV)?

Also, what are you using for playback after encoding with HandBrake?