Mac vs PC

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
wigsf

Mac vs PC

Post by wigsf »

Just thought I'd share this little story with you fine people.

My brother's running Handbrake on his Mac and I'm running on my PC. We both ripped the same disc on our respective machines. Using normal settings, his end result was a nicely encoded video with sound. Just the way he intended. My result was an awful mess of squares and high pitched, almost modem-like sounds.

Never one to give up, I fooled around and tried a bunch of things. Eventually, I tried decrypting the DVD then giving Handbrake another go at it.

Huzah! This time, Handbrake provided the intended result.

Any ideas why the Mac implementation would not require a decrypting step while the PC would?
baggss

Re: Mac vs PC

Post by baggss »

The Mac version has the open source decryption library built in. Now, I'm not a Dev, but as I understand it said Open Source Library is not available on the Windows side, so a separate decryptor is needed. This is neither new nor likely to change, ever.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

...to Piggy-Back,

...the next Mac release won't have the lib either.
baggss

Post by baggss »

So we'll have to use a 3rd party app?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

yes. If you have VLC installed, the next release will be able to use that. (in other words, it works a tad like fairmount), otherwise you'd need to pre-rip it.
baggss

Post by baggss »

May I inquire why this is being done? Seems like we are taking a simple process and making it more difficult.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

baggss wrote:May I inquire why this is being done? Seems like we are taking a simple process and making it more difficult.
It's not difficult at all. If the user has VLC on their system, HandBrake automatically and seamlessly utilizes VLC's copy of libdvdcss. And if it isn't on the system, a dialog box pops up asking the user if they want to download it in order to decrypt DVDs, and provides a web link to the videolan server. At the worst, it's a one-time hassle.

HandBrake being libdvdcss-free is something that a developer asked for over a year ago, because it made him feel uncomfortable openly contributing to the project. At the time I promised him we would try to get rid of it, and while it took quite awhile, dynaflash found a way to do it on the Mac side that I feel works very well and doesn't make the process any more difficult in regular usage.

In Linux, if users have libdvdcss installed on their, it will utilize that at run-time.

And anyone can still build it into HandBrake if they start from the source code and tell the configure script to include the lib-- only, I changed it to download libdvdcss's code from videolan, not the HandBrake servers.

Basically, we're wiping our hands of storing and providing the decryption code ourselves. It won't be in HandBrake's binaries and it won't be on HandBrake's servers.
Last edited by jbrjake on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Note to self: when choosing between two ways to end a sentence, don't type both verbs, one right after the other.
baggss

Post by baggss »

I guess that makes sense, cya. Thanks for the reply.
Shibblet
Novice

Post by Shibblet »

So then how do Windows 7 users get Handbrake 0.9.5 to rip directly from the DVD?

I have installed VLC, and it doesn't seem to do a darn thing. I have to use DVD Decrypter to rip the file to the hard drive first, then I can use handbrake to make the mp4 file.

Is this just a limitation for Windows users?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

AnyDVD

VLC is useless on Windows.
Shibblet
Novice

Post by Shibblet »

Will AnyDVD allow you to rip directly to Handbrake, or do you need to rip to the hard drive first, then encode with handbrake, making this a longer 2 step process?
rogue23
Enlightened

Post by rogue23 »

You need to rip to your hard drive first.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

rogue23 wrote:You need to rip to your hard drive first.
AnyDVD is an on-the-fly decrypter. Once it's running you can encode directly from disc with HandBrake.