New AppleTV 2 preset for AppleTV 1

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jnyberg

New AppleTV 2 preset for AppleTV 1

Post by jnyberg »

Quick question: Will a video converted with the new Apple TV 2 preset work flawlessly on an older Apple TV?
Deleted User 11865

Re: New AppleTV 2 preset for AppleTV 1

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

No. It likely won't play at all (crash).
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

But the opposite situation would be fine—videos encoded for the ATV1 will play flawlessly on the ATV2.
jnyberg

Post by jnyberg »

I see. Has the Apple TV (1) preset then been updated in anyway in this new version of Handbrake?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Only insomuch as to counteract changes in the libx264 defaults that would break compatibility. Otherwise it's the same preset as 0.9.4...
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

jnyberg wrote:I see. Has the Apple TV (1) preset then been updated in anyway in this new version of Handbrake?
See also this topic discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19582
Deleted User 11865

discless wrote:
jnyberg wrote:I see. Has the Apple TV (1) preset then been updated in anyway in this new version of Handbrake?
See also this topic discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19582
That's completely unrelated. The AppleTV Legacy preset has nothing to do with 0.9.4's AppleTV preset.
lankysam

Post by lankysam »

I understand that the ATV2 preset will generate video which is unplayable on a 1st gen ATV (and I've confirmed it, repeatedly). However, am I correct that going the other way should present no problems (i.e., playing on the ATV2 video handbraked using the 1st gen preset)? I ask this because I've now had three instances of 1st gen encoded video crashing XBMC on my ATV2. I I imagine that this might be related to the relative instability of XBMC running on a jailbroken ATV2 (even w XBMC 10.1), but I wanted to see if there are users who've had success in playing ATV1 encodes on ATV2?

thanks.
Deleted User 11865

Videos encoded with the AppleTV preset should play on a stock AppleTV 2. The crash you're experiencing is most likely an XBMC crash (can easily be tested by playing the file on a non-jailbroken AppleTV 2).