ATV 0.9.5 NOT WORKING.

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
sdaniels

ATV 0.9.5 NOT WORKING.

Post by sdaniels »

I updated to 0.9.5, looks great, doesn't work.

First things first. I've been using HandBrake for years... I am not pirating. I physically own over 2000 DVDs now and about 200 Blu-Rays. You would not believe the space these physical items take up in a 10' x 12' living room. About 5 years ago I began converting my movies straight after purchase and storing the physical copies in the basement.

I have a 4TB NAS and iTunes. I also have an Apple TV in every room of my house since until recently I didn't even waste my time with commercial ridden cable providers.

PROBLEM...
I installed 0.9.5 on my iMac and got an error message that my presets would automatically be updated. I clicked OK. Much to my enjoyment when 0.9.5 opened my Apple TV preset was there and appeared normal. The last three movies I encoded with the preset all appeared flawless, load and play in iTunes just fine. However, when I load them on my Apple TVs... yes, tried multiple, they actually crash the system. I've even re-encoded a couple of times thinking maybe I didn't have large file type selected or missed something else. Everything looks fine.

I'm just using the Apple -> Apple TV preset accept 1280x instead of 960x for the picture preset with Keep Aspect Ratio is On Anamorphic is off.

Any help appreciated... even if you're just having the same issues, so I don't go crazy.
Deleted User 11865

Re: ATV 0.9.5 NOT WORKING.

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Activity Log please.

Also, are you using the built-in preset and changing the settings for every source, or a custom preset with your changes? The built-in presets get updated, not user presets.
rogue23
Enlightened

Post by rogue23 »

sdaniels wrote: PROBLEM...
I installed 0.9.5 on my iMac and got an error message that my presets would automatically be updated. I clicked OK. Much to my enjoyment when 0.9.5 opened my Apple TV preset was there and appeared normal. The last three movies I encoded with the preset all appeared flawless, load and play in iTunes just fine. However, when I load them on my Apple TVs... yes, tried multiple, they actually crash the system. I've even re-encoded a couple of times thinking maybe I didn't have large file type selected or missed something else. Everything looks fine.

I'm just using the Apple -> Apple TV preset accept 1280x instead of 960x for the picture preset with Keep Aspect Ratio is On Anamorphic is off.

Any help appreciated... even if you're just having the same issues, so I don't go crazy.
PROBLEM....

You didn't follow the forum rules that appear in that invisible red box at the top of your screen that unclearly states that an "Activity Log is required for support requests."

I have to assume that you have a 1st Generation Apple TV. I'm also assuming that you are using the predefined AppleTV preset and not one that you've created yourself. However, those assumptions don't help point you in the right direction.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

sdaniels wrote:I installed 0.9.5 on my iMac and got an error message that my presets would automatically be updated. I clicked OK. Much to my enjoyment when 0.9.5 opened my Apple TV preset was there and appeared normal.
Handbrake will automatically update it's built in presets on upgrading, but doesn't touch any you've created yourself. In this particular case, Handbrake no longer overrides the x264 default setting for b-pyramid which breaks ATV compatibility. Add 'b-pyramid=none' to your advanced settings.
sdaniels

Post by sdaniels »

Thank You TedJ. Works!
Rodeo wrote:Activity Log please.

Also, are you using the built-in preset and changing the settings for every source, or a custom preset with your changes? The built-in presets get updated, not user presets.
Again... "I'm just using the Apple -> Apple TV preset accept 1280x instead of 960x for the picture preset with Keep Aspect Ratio is On Anamorphic is off." Yes, that would be the built in preset.
sdaniels

Post by sdaniels »

rogue23 wrote:
sdaniels wrote: PROBLEM...

PROBLEM....

You didn't follow the forum rules that appear in that invisible red box at the top of your screen that unclearly states that an "Activity Log is required for support requests."

I have to assume that you have a 1st Generation Apple TV. I'm also assuming that you are using the predefined AppleTV preset and not one that you've created yourself. However, those assumptions don't help point you in the right direction.
"I'm just using the Apple -> Apple TV preset accept 1280x instead of 960x for the picture preset with Keep Aspect Ratio is On Anamorphic is off." Yes, that would be the built in preset.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

sdaniels wrote:"I'm just using the Apple -> Apple TV preset accept 1280x instead of 960x for the picture preset with Keep Aspect Ratio is On Anamorphic is off." Yes, that would be the built in preset.
Sorry to say this, but that's not the case. It may sound like we're arguing semantics but the preset you're using, while based almost entirely on the original Apple TV preset, is a custom preset. When you upgraded from 0.9.4 to 0.9.5 Handbrake ensured that the built-in presets were updated to reflect the new x264 defaults but it cannot do the same with your custom presets.

We're not saying that custom presets are bad or that we won't support them, but if you've based a custom preset of one of the built-in device presets then the onus is on you to double check on upgrade to ensure that nothing's been changed behind the scenes.
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

Why are you being deliberately difficult and not posting your Activity Log as required by the BIG RED BOX at the top of the page, and as Rodeo and rogue23 both reminded you to post?
sdaniels

Post by sdaniels »

TedJ wrote:
sdaniels wrote:"I'm just using the Apple -> Apple TV preset accept 1280x instead of 960x for the picture preset with Keep Aspect Ratio is On Anamorphic is off." Yes, that would be the built in preset.
Sorry to say this, but that's not the case. It may sound like we're arguing semantics but the preset you're using, while based almost entirely on the original Apple TV preset, is a custom preset. When you upgraded from 0.9.4 to 0.9.5 Handbrake ensured that the built-in presets were updated to reflect the new x264 defaults but it cannot do the same with your custom presets.

We're not saying that custom presets are bad or that we won't support them, but if you've based a custom preset of one of the built-in device presets then the onus is on you to double check on upgrade to ensure that nothing's been changed behind the scenes.
True. My ONLY issue on the Built in Apple TV preset is Anamorphic... it breaks compatibility on my other devices and I don't want multiple copies of the same movies. But you are right.

FYI: Everyone else. I didn't post an Activity Log, because I didn't have one. These Movies where all encoded, met-x'd and loaded in tunes for weeks before I went to watch them and had the crashing issue. When I went to get it, per website instruction I noticed once you close out HandBrake it clears the file.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Read the relevant activity log page: You may still have the log file on disk
http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/HandBrakeGuide