24 Bit Audio transcoding please!

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

xenomania

24 Bit Audio transcoding please!

Post by xenomania »

Just before he disappeared titer fixed for me (in 0.7.1) a previous glitching resulting from encoding 16/48 PCM to AAC.

I have since noticed that if encoding from 24 bit PCM in a VIDEO_TS, the result is just much digital nastiness.

Please fix. Good example titles include live DVDs from David Gilmour and the Dave Matthews band at 24/48, an RCA Red Seal Carmina Burana DVD-V at 24/96, and some VIDEO_TS elements on many DVD-As or Music DVD's - the 30th Anniversary CD/DVD-V double pack of Queen's a night at the opera is another good example of 24/48 PCM stereo with a Video montage.

Properly encoded AAC from 24 bit can/should sound stunning!
Conner

Re: 24 Bit Audio transcoding please!

Post by Conner »

xenomania wrote:Just before he disappeared titer fixed for me (in 0.7.1) a previous glitching resulting from encoding 16/48 PCM to AAC.

I have since noticed that if encoding from 24 bit PCM in a VIDEO_TS, the result is just much digital nastiness.

Please fix. Good example titles include live DVDs from David Gilmour and the Dave Matthews band at 24/48, an RCA Red Seal Carmina Burana DVD-V at 24/96, and some VIDEO_TS elements on many DVD-As or Music DVD's - the 30th Anniversary CD/DVD-V double pack of Queen's a night at the opera is another good example of 24/48 PCM stereo with a Video montage.

Properly encoded AAC from 24 bit can/should sound stunning!
I am pretty sure this is fixed. I just tested a PCM audio file, using Handbrake 7.1a4, I think - it lists as 7.1a2 but it was a later d/l than that. The UB build from Jan 1. Reading from ripped dvd folder, compressing to H.264 video (h.264 Baseline iPod), AAC Audio 44.1 sample rate, 128kbits. The audio sounds perfect.

the 7.1a4 UB was the latest one available 'publically' before the digg issue (a5 might have been out but not in UB form or I didn't get to it before it was pulled), but as far as I know is not publically available currently.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: 24 Bit Audio transcoding please!

Post by dynaflash »

Conner wrote:the 7.1a4 UB was the latest one available 'publically' before the digg issue (a5 might have been out but not in UB form or I didn't get to it before it was pulled), but as far as I know is not publically available currently.
I think you are right. a5 was only in PPC at the time of the digg incident. We hadnt put out a UB a5 yet.

However, as far as I know, a4 - a5 should have no change as far as audio goes.