HandBrake 0.9.5 Discussion Thread

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
HandBrake

HandBrake 0.9.5 Discussion Thread

Post by HandBrake »

*Constructive* Comments and Discussion please...

HandBrake 0.9.5 Announcement Thread: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... 826#p88826
mduell
Veteran User

Re: HandBrake 0.9.5 Discussion Thread

Post by mduell »

Really, 20 minutes and no one posted?

omg wtf killed my dog or something

Best release evar.

Who's taking bets on the first bug that will come up in a forum every week for the next year? Think 0.9.4 6ch AAC, VC1, FAS, etc.

I look forward to being the first person to tell someone to upgrade when they post an 0.9.4 log with a known bug.
gat

Post by gat »

Does the development team think that the nightly releases having fixed some of the problems in the prior releases causing confusion among users might prompt back-porting of bug-fixes, only previous release feature compliant (no new features, just fixes)? Has this ever been considered?

I thank the development team especially John Stebbins for the Gtk G.U.I. for this new release.
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

gat wrote:Does the development team think that the nightly releases having fixed some of the problems in the prior releases causing confusion among users might prompt back-porting of bug-fixes, only previous release feature compliant (no new features, just fixes)? Has this ever been considered?

I thank the development team especially John Stebbins for the Gtk G.U.I. for this new release.
My guess is that back-porting is unlikely, the devs tend to (rightly, in my opinion) be very future-oriented.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Fixes won't be back ported to older releases.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

gat wrote:Does the development team think that the nightly releases having fixed some of the problems in the prior releases causing confusion among users might prompt back-porting of bug-fixes, only previous release feature compliant (no new features, just fixes)? Has this ever been considered?
Having a nightly with new features and a nightly with only bug fixes seems like it would lead to more user confusion.
tobiaspb

Post by tobiaspb »

Thank you so much, this is one of my all time favorites. All the People I help (with nerd stuff) and love get Handbrake and VLC installed :-)

- So BIG Thanks from me.
M3wThr33

Post by M3wThr33 »

I saw that the presets got updated, but does that SPECIFICALLY include the PS3? I remember I had issues converting it and on this forum someone had a better formula.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

M3wThr33 wrote:I saw that the presets got updated, but does that SPECIFICALLY include the PS3? I remember I had issues converting it and on this forum someone had a better formula.
The devs don't have a PS3, so they can't support a PS3 preset as firmware changes etc come along. Your best bet is to follow the PS3 thread for the latest.
gat

Post by gat »

To mduell, I was speaking of having the nightly and back-porting the fixes to the official release. This was answered by s55.
kkashyyyk

Post by kkashyyyk »

With the newly added BluRay support, what is the recommended workflow? I have previously used Mac BluRay Ripper Pro.
Thanks for the update, it's much appreciated.
randomreuben
Veteran User

Post by randomreuben »

What? No .avi or DivX? I'm taking my business elsewhere! **watches in horror as TedJ strangles a puppy**

Seriously. Congratulations! I've had a pretty good run with HandBrake thus far. It's stable and reliable and thanks to this forum, I've learned a lot about DVD to .mkv encoding. Thanks for all the hard work! It's much appreciated!
michel

Post by michel »

Just stopped by to say THANK YOU for your continuous work and this amazing release. And allowing more than 4 audio tracks on a mac ;)
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

kkashyyyk wrote:With the newly added BluRay support, what is the recommended workflow? I have previously used Mac BluRay Ripper Pro.
Rip the whole disk with MBRP or MakeMKV. Feed top folder or MKV to HB.

Or if you're on Windows, use AnyDVD HD and just point HB to disk.
mkr10001

Post by mkr10001 »

Question:

This new slidey bar has numbers on rather than percentages, what are the equivalents?
mathewrice

Post by mathewrice »

mduell wrote:
kkashyyyk wrote:With the newly added BluRay support, what is the recommended workflow? I have previously used Mac BluRay Ripper Pro.

Just wondering here, does this mean that I can point Handbrake to an ISO file of a decrypted Blu-ray like I've done with DVD?

Thanks,
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

mkr10001 wrote:Question:

This new slidey bar has numbers on rather than percentages, what are the equivalents?
% = ((51 - RF) / 51) * 100

RF = (-51 * % / 100) + 51

Good RF values are between 19 (excellent quality) and 25 (small files).
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

mathewrice wrote:
mduell wrote:

Just wondering here, does this mean that I can point Handbrake to an ISO file of a decrypted Blu-ray like I've done with DVD?

Thanks,
No, the image needs to be mounted (loop mount on linux and mac, something like virtual CloneDrive on windows).
david3

Post by david3 »

Were there any significant changes made between the svn3705 windows gui release (from a few weeks ago) and 0.9.5?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

david3 wrote:Were there any significant changes made between the svn3705 windows gui release (from a few weeks ago) and 0.9.5?
Yes. http://trac.handbrake.fr/timeline
david3

Post by david3 »

JohnAStebbins wrote:Yes. http://trac.handbrake.fr/timeline
Thanks. I'm trying to decide if it's worth re-encoding the last few week's worth of files with the 0.9.5 release. The results from the svn version seem to be pretty good, though.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

david3 wrote:
JohnAStebbins wrote:Yes. http://trac.handbrake.fr/timeline
Thanks. I'm trying to decide if it's worth re-encoding the last few week's worth of files with the 0.9.5 release. The results from the svn version seem to be pretty good, though.
If you didn't have total failure, then you should just keep your recent encodes. All recent changes are bug fixes.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

JohnAStebbins wrote:If you didn't have total failure, then you should just keep your recent encodes. All recent changes are bug fixes.
There was an x264 bump (svn3715) and a tweak to qpmin for playback under Quicktime (svn3708)... Unless either of these are a major concern your existing encodes should be good.
skatch

Post by skatch »

Quite excited by the new release. Thanks to all the devs for the hard work. Couple questions as I dig through the new interface & release notes:

1) I see it's now possible to encode AC3 audio. However, when encoding movies that already have AC3 present, is the old AC3 passthrough option still there? Just going by the interface I can't tell if AC3 audio will be re-encoded as AC3 (since it's no longer labeled "passthrough"), or if it does passthrough on the original audio track.

2) I see that the new "AppleTV 2" preset is set to 29.97FPS peak framerate. I'd like to be sure this doesn't mean it's changing the FR of lower framerate sources material, i.e. re-encoding 25FPS as 29.97FPS. Is this the case?

Thanks for any help!
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

skatch wrote:1) I see it's now possible to encode AC3 audio. However, when encoding movies that already have AC3 present, is the old AC3 passthrough option still there? Just going by the interface I can't tell if AC3 audio will be re-encoded as AC3 (since it's no longer labeled "passthrough"), or if it does passthrough on the original audio track.

2) I see that the new "AppleTV 2" preset is set to 29.97FPS peak framerate. I'd like to be sure this doesn't mean it's changing the FR of lower framerate sources material, i.e. re-encoding 25FPS as 29.97FPS. Is this the case?
1) Of course, the AC3 passthrough option is still there.

2) Of course not, that would be pants on head retarded. 29.97 peak means it won't let the content exceed 29.97, but it will act like same as source for 23.976 or 25 fps sources.