Encoding for A4 devices (iPad, iPhone 4, tv 2)

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Re: Encoding for A4 devices (iPad, iPhone 4, tv 2)

Post by jamiemlaw »

There's no way in presets to say "if the frame rate is 24 or less, do this; if it's over 24, do that". It's just covering all the bases by being the smaller size; otherwise, people converting 25fps or 30fps video will end up with video that can't be synched.
BrOoke

Post by BrOoke »

Ok thank you for that!

Regards
off-road-biker

Post by off-road-biker »

mduell & Rodeo - thanks for the sharing of your experiences!

In the end I would use this setting for myself:
  • ATV2 preset as starting point
  • Video tab: Rate Factors (RF) of 19 for DVD sources and 21 for HD sources
  • Picture size: Generally (iPhone, iPad, ATV2) - leave the width alone. If HD movies as source and for for tv (and any other devices or not), width to 1280
  • Filters: Leave as it is
  • Audio: AAC (core audio) and as the second audio track AC3 passthrough (or AC3 encoding if it's a DTS source)
I think/hope that'll be the best. :)

My Question to the profi users:
  • I've an elgato turbo.264HD Stick and use it on my MacBookPro 2.2 GHz C2D (2007). Cause the software sucks (asynchron audio/video) I use Handbrake again.
    Is there a possibility to let the Hardware stick support the Handbrake conversion?
    Does anyone knows a solution to fasten the conversion using above preset?
  • I used movie file as test (Source file is - Video: H.264, 720 × 576, 25 fps, 1.91 Mbps /Audio: MPEG Layer-3 Audio stereo, 48 kHz, 192 kbps) and recognized that in same scene sometimes audio/video is asynchrony in ATV2-preset. In a second try everything works fine.
    How can I avoid asynchrony audio/video?
Thanx in advance.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

off-road-biker wrote:I've an elgato turbo.264HD Stick and use it on my MacBookPro 2.2 GHz C2D (2007). Cause the software sucks (asynchron audio/video) I use Handbrake again.
Is there a possibility to let the Hardware stick support the Handbrake conversion?
Does anyone knows a solution to fasten the conversion using above preset?
No, HandBrake doesn't support the el gato usb encoder sticks; they're lousy at encoding anyway.
For faster encodes... use faster settings. This will result in larger files. For example paste no-mixed-refs:rc-lookahead=10:ref=1:subme=2:trellis=0:weightp=0 in the advanced x264 options string.
off-road-biker wrote:I used movie file as test (Source file is - Video: H.264, 720 × 576, 25 fps, 1.91 Mbps /Audio: MPEG Layer-3 Audio stereo, 48 kHz, 192 kbps) and recognized that in same scene sometimes audio/video is asynchrony in ATV2-preset. In a second try everything works fine.
How can I avoid asynchrony audio/video?
As the directions at the top of every page say, you need to provide encoding logs for both encodes.
wmrrock

Post by wmrrock »

I am a newbie when it comes to handbrake, but I have been converting sd dvd to handbrake using the Apple tv 2 presets with no problem. However, I see all sorts of posts regarding decomb and detelecine and I dont understand (and cant figure out) what they are. If I am converting from an existing source ( ex. Invictus, which I own) isn't already decombed and detelecined on the original source dvd? Why would I need to go back and add these features before conversion to MP4? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

wmrrock
off-road-biker

Post by off-road-biker »

mduell wrote: For faster encodes... use faster settings. This will result in larger files. For example paste no-mixed-refs:rc-lookahead=10:ref=1:subme=2:trellis=0:weightp=0 in the advanced x264 options string.
Would you please explain me what does this codes mean?
I don't understand it. And I'd like to understand what I'm using. :lol:
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

off-road-biker wrote:
mduell wrote: For faster encodes... use faster settings. This will result in larger files. For example paste no-mixed-refs:rc-lookahead=10:ref=1:subme=2:trellis=0:weightp=0 in the advanced x264 options string.
http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings
off-road-biker

Post by off-road-biker »

JohnAStebbins wrote:
off-road-biker wrote:
http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings
Oh my god, I don't understand anything. Maybe my english knowledge isn't good enough for that. :roll:
JohnAStebbins - would you confirm the settings "no-mixed-refs:rc-lookahead=10:ref=1:subme=2:trellis=0:weightp=0"?
Are there noticeable disadvantages for use for iPhone4, iPad, ATV2 an futher Apple products (iPhone/iPad)? Or in visuable qualityloss on ATV2?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

The settings mduell recommended will make your encodes faster. The problem with faster settings is that less analysis is being performed during the encode which usually leads to larger file sizes and sometimes lower quality. Try the settings and look at the video. If you don't like the quality, slide the quality slider further to the right.
off-road-biker

Post by off-road-biker »

Thanks mduell and JohnAStebbins!

For all:
no-mixed-refs:rc-lookahead=10:ref=1:subme=2:trellis=0:weightp=0
  • Makes my HD-files just 1,25% bigger than ATV2-preset and almost 25,1% less than original. :D
  • Quality is nearly 1:1 with original! :)
  • Needs about 35% more time to encode than original movie - but just 30% of the encoding time of original ATV2 preset! :P
So my new ATV presets will be:
  • ATV2 preset as starting point (from the Nightly Build! :D)
  • Video tab: Rate Factors (RF) of 19 for DVD sources and 21 for HD sources
  • Picture size: Generally (iPhone, iPad, ATV2) - leave the width alone. If HD movies as source and for for tv (and any other devices or not), width to 1280
  • Filters: Leave as it is
  • Audio: AAC (core audio) and as the second audio track AC3 passthrough (or AC3 encoding if it's a DTS source)
  • Advanced x264 option string: no-mixed-refs:rc-lookahead=10:ref=1:subme=2:trellis=0:weightp=0
Last edited by off-road-biker on Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

wmrrock wrote:If I am converting from an existing source ( ex. Invictus, which I own) isn't already decombed and detelecined on the original source dvd?
No. Some DVDs are interlaced (so you need decomb to remove interlacing artifacts, aka combing), and some DVDs use hard telecine (mostly 24 fps film sources converted and stored as 29.97 fps), which can be reverted by using detelecine.
wmrrock

Post by wmrrock »

My DVD player upscales sd media to 1080p. Is there a way to upscale through handbrake to take advantage of the 720p on apple tv? OR does apple tv2 already do that?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

wmrrock wrote:My DVD player upscales sd media to 1080p. Is there a way to upscale through handbrake to take advantage of the 720p on apple tv? OR does apple tv2 already do that?
That's not useful. It's OK for the DVD player to upscale, because it's dealing with the already-decoded, uncompressed content. Upscaling the compressed movie means you need more bitrate to achieve the same quality. Plus, unless your TV is very poor at upscaling, it'll do as good a job as HandBrake would.
wmrrock

Post by wmrrock »

I have read many of these posts and I am more confused now than ever. I would like to know what the BEST HB setting should for converting to apple tv2 to achieve a 1:1 exact copy of the movie - so it looks exactly like it did on the dvd. Currently I am using the apple tv2 settings from the nightly build and I have changed my RF to 19. Should I detelicine and decomb? Why should I change my width to 1280 instead of using the defaults? I would really like to keep this as simple as possible and set everything once and possibly never touch it again. I am converting sd dvd's and vieweing through apple tv2 to a 42 inch plasma.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Happy New Year!
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

wmrrock wrote:Should I detelicine and decomb?
Only if your source material is telecined or interlaced.
wmrrock wrote:Why should I change my width to 1280 instead of using the defaults?
For DVD sources you shouldn't.
For HD sources, you have to because the ATV2 doesn't support higher resolutions.
wmrrock

Post by wmrrock »

How would I know - or how can I tell if my source material is telecined or interlaced? Off topic - but how does commercial software (Toast for example) determine if source material is telecined or interlaced? Or doesn't it.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

wmrrock wrote:How would I know - or how can I tell if my source material is telecined or interlaced? Off topic - but how does commercial software (Toast for example) determine if source material is telecined or interlaced? Or doesn't it.
If the DVD is 29.97 fps it's likely interlaced or telecined.
If HandBrake says "source is likely interlaced or telecined, you should do something about that" in the scan log, it's likely interlaced or telecined.
If you see combing (horitzontal lines) in the output, it's likely interlaced or telecined.

Consumer grade commercial software is probably retarded and just deinterlaces everything.
wmrrock

Post by wmrrock »

mduell wrote:If HandBrake says "source is likely interlaced or telecined, you should do something about that" in the scan log, it's likely interlaced or telecined.
Really dumb question - but here goes - Where is the scan log? Do you mean the activity log?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Yes, the activity log for the scan.
wmrrock

Post by wmrrock »

wmrrock wrote:I I would like to know what the BEST HB setting should for converting to apple tv2 to achieve a 1:1 exact copy of the movie - so it looks exactly like it did on the dvd.
Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Happy New Year!
What are the best settings for apple tv2?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Please read the first post in this thread.
mcravenufo

Post by mcravenufo »

This works great for playing back on my iPad. However, when I am in "Videos" I do not see a thumbnail of the movie nor the title of the file. The thumbnail displayed is a generic white image with a TV outline. Only when do I click on it does the file name show but still no thumbnail.

How do I get thumbnails and file names to show up in Videos so I know what movie I am clicking on?
PNAPHS

Post by PNAPHS »

Sorry, but can someone post a screenshot of Handbrake where I can see the settings if you want to make a file especially for AT2 but which can be shown on an iPhone as well. I don't get it but want the best possible quality.

Many thanks, P.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

PNAPHS wrote:Sorry, but can someone post a screenshot of Handbrake where I can see the settings if you want to make a file especially for AT2 but which can be shown on an iPhone as well. I don't get it but want the best possible quality.
APPLE TV 2 PRESET IN THE NIGHTLY.
PNAPHS

Post by PNAPHS »

mduell wrote:
APPLE TV 2 PRESET IN THE NIGHTLY.
Thanks

If I'm using the AppleTV-Legacy Settings, I can't import the file on my iPhone. Should that be like this, or do I have to use the iPhone-Legacy Settings? But what about the quality difference for AppleTV? (My AppleTV is not here yet, but I want to start converting)