Encoding for A4 devices (iPad, iPhone 4, tv 2)

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
james_mac

Re: Encoding for A4 devices (iPad, iPhone 4, tv 2)

Post by james_mac »

I know that an iPad can't play a file with 5.1 AC3. But what about a 2 channel AC3 file? Can I just leave it as AC3 Passthru? or to do a AAC stereo mixdown?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

james_mac wrote:I know that an iPad can't play a file with 5.1 AC3. But what about a 2 channel AC3 file? Can I just leave it as AC3 Passthru? or to do a AAC stereo mixdown?
Apple devices don't play AC3 period. Only the AppleTV can pass it through to a receiver (but it doesn't play it).
briguy

Post by briguy »

So at the beginning of this thread people suggested using the iPad preset from the nightly builds and alter the picture settings to get the best movies to play across all A4 devices. I am interested in the Apple TV 2, iPhone 4 and iPad, but now I see that in the latest build there is a preset for Apple TV 2. So does that replace the recommendations before? Should I use the Apple TV 2 preset to get the best quality movie that can play across all A4 devices?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The only change in the tv 2 preset is to set the max width to 1280 (which all A4 devices support, but only the tv 2 has the screen resolution for) and adds an AC3 passthrough audio track (which the other A4 devices don't support but will tolerate). If you want AC3 audio passthrough, the tv 2 preset is probably the easier one to start with.
briguy

Post by briguy »

When I click on the "picture settings" button on the appletv 2 preset, the max width is the default 720. It wont let me increase, it will only let me decrease. How do I get the width to 1280?
Deleted User 11865

briguy wrote:When I click on the "picture settings" button on the appletv 2 preset, the max width is the default 720. It wont let me increase, it will only let me decrease. How do I get the width to 1280?
You don't. It's stupid: it won't increase the quality, but will actually increase the bitrate requirements to achieve a given quality.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

briguy wrote:When I click on the "picture settings" button on the appletv 2 preset, the max width is the default 720. It wont let me increase, it will only let me decrease. How do I get the width to 1280?
Your source is only 720 wide. Upscaing before encoding would be stupid. HandBrake protects you from this kind of stupid.
briguy

Post by briguy »

So it is safe to say, that if I am using SD media, I can just use the appletv 2 preset and that will give me the best picture for the file size. Am I also safe to assume that that the finished files of 2GB I am getting aren't going to give me DVD quality resolution on my appleTV?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

briguy wrote:So it is safe to say, that if I am using SD media, I can just use the appletv 2 preset and that will give me the best picture for the file size.
Yes. This shouldn't surprise you.
briguy wrote:Am I also safe to assume that that the finished files of 2GB I am getting aren't going to give me DVD quality resolution on my appleTV?
They are the same resolution as the DVD and I would expect them to look almost as good as the DVD. And often be well under 2GB.
Gunthermic

Post by Gunthermic »

So if I have a ATV1 and ATV2 and iPad and want to encode a BD what is the best preset to use? ATV1? but that goes to 960 resolution.
Deleted User 11865

Gunthermic wrote:So if I have a ATV1 and ATV2 and iPad and want to encode a BD what is the best preset to use? ATV1? but that goes to 960 resolution.
If you know that your source is 25 fps or lower, you can bump the resolution to 1280 wide. But the 1st gen. AppleTV doesn't support 720p30.
Gunthermic

Post by Gunthermic »

I thought most BD's were 23 fps. So I should customize the ATV1 and bump it to 1280. Ay other settign to customize that would make a better encode?
Deleted User 11865

Gunthermic wrote:I thought most BD's were 23 fps. So I should customize the ATV1 and bump it to 1280. Ay other settign to customize that would make a better encode?
You could use dynaflash's settings: http://dynaflashtech.net/2010/06/30/han ... ng-part-2/

But really, this thread is about targeting A4-based iOS devices. Since your weakest device isn't one of those, you should look at the ATV 1 thread: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13506
BrOoke

Post by BrOoke »

Hi mduell,

Thanks for your time in creating this post and being patient with us all!

I would just like to ask, if most of what is out there is 23.976fps, 24fps and 25fps, what is the point of the ATV2 being capable of 30fps because you cant encode 30fps on a source file that is 23.976fps as an example. Is it that apples own rented material is 720p @ 30fps?

To be fair, the UFC broadcasts its content with 720p @ 30fps, so I will give it a shot and see the quality later.

Ive been trying to find this part in the handbreak program, but cant find it anywhere:

Filters: If your source is interlaced, add decomb default. If your source is telecined, add detelecine default. If you don't understand the words you're reading, set them both to default; they're generally safe but will slow down your encode a bit.

How do I know if my source is interlaced or telecined please? Ive tried media info for mac but I cant see these details in the video file. I am a person who generally doesn't understand the words that are said, so I tried looking for the part where you can set them both to default, but I couldn't find them, so where are they located please?

Lastly, I cannot find the "peak framerate" check box that ppl keep referring to? I have downloaded the nightly build and it installed because I can see the ATV2 and iPad presets which weren't there before. Where can I find this check box please? Or is it just a case of selecting the 29.97fps option in the menu?

Thank you for your time
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

BrOoke wrote:I would just like to ask, if most of what is out there is 23.976fps, 24fps and 25fps, what is the point of the ATV2 being capable of 30fps because you cant encode 30fps on a source file that is 23.976fps as an example. Is it that apples own rented material is 720p @ 30fps?
Some TV shows are 30fps. Apple's rented material is the same as whatever their sources are, 24 or 30 fps in the US.
BrOoke wrote:To be fair, the UFC broadcasts its content with 720p @ 30fps, so I will give it a shot and see the quality later.
720p broadcasts are usually 60fps.
BrOoke wrote:Ive been trying to find this part in the handbreak program, but cant find it anywhere:

Filters: If your source is interlaced, add decomb default. If your source is telecined, add detelecine default. If you don't understand the words you're reading, set them both to default; they're generally safe but will slow down your encode a bit.

How do I know if my source is interlaced or telecined please?
If your source is 30 fps it's probably interlaced or telecined. If your source is 24 fps it's probably not. If you see combing, your source is interlaced or telecined.
BrOoke wrote:Ive tried media info for mac but I cant see these details in the video file. I am a person who generally doesn't understand the words that are said, so I tried looking for the part where you can set them both to default, but I couldn't find them, so where are they located please?
Picture Settings, Filters tab.
BrOoke wrote:Lastly, I cannot find the "peak framerate" check box that ppl keep referring to? I have downloaded the nightly build and it installed because I can see the ATV2 and iPad presets which weren't there before. Where can I find this check box please? Or is it just a case of selecting the 29.97fps option in the menu?
It appears below framerate on the Video tab.
BrOoke

Post by BrOoke »

Hi mduell,

Thanks for the reply,

That Peak Framerate check box isn't to be found, instead I have a check box that says 2-pass encoding, which is greyed out. Is it worth uninstalling & reinstalling HB?

Thanks for the other info, although confusing. I will do more research.

Regards
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The peak framerate checkbox only appears when you select a framerate other than "same as source", which the iPad or AppleTV2 preset should do.

I'd check the version number in the About menu option to see which version you're actually running.
Deleted User 11865

BrOoke wrote:I would just like to ask, if most of what is out there is 23.976fps, 24fps and 25fps
Most of what's out there isn't necessarily <= 25 fps. There are still plenty of 30 fps sources to be found, which is why the AppleTV preset defaults to 960 width instead of 1280.
BrOoke wrote:what is the point of the ATV2 being capable of 30fps because you cant encode 30fps on a source file that is 23.976fps as an example. Is it that apples own rented material is 720p @ 30fps?
AFAIK, Apple doesn't provide any 720p30 content (it wouldn't play on an ATV 1). But since the hardware is powerful enough (which isn't the case for the 1st gen. ATV), there probably isn't any good reason to disable 720p30 support on 2010 iOS devices.
BrOoke

Post by BrOoke »

mduell wrote:The peak framerate checkbox only appears when you select a framerate other than "same as source", which the iPad or AppleTV2 preset should do.

I'd check the version number in the About menu option to see which version you're actually running.

Thanks mduell,

I choose the iPad preset, as instructed at the beginning of this thread and I dont get the peak framerate check box, neither does it appear on the atv2 preset. What version should I be running of HB pls?

Just an additional question regarding audio if I may, I find after encoding, the audio is remarkably quiet and I have to turn the TV volume up quite substantially as a result. Can I do something to make the volume better or is it down to what is included with my source file and there is nothing that can be done? I dont have a receiver, but thinking of getting one.

Regards
BrOoke

Post by BrOoke »

Rodeo wrote:
which is why the AppleTV preset defaults to 960 width instead of 1280.
Why does the ATV preset default to 960 instead of 1280, when 1280 x 720 @ 24,25&30fps works just fine on my ATV2 and iPhone 4 devices?

Also, is there any noticeable difference in pic quality from 1280 x 720 to 960 x 576?

Thank you for your time rodeo

Regards.
BrOoke

Post by BrOoke »

I would just like to ask the experts here a question about the new iPhone 5 and iPad 2 having dual core processors. What impact would this have with regards to HB encoded content? Could the devices handle 1080 as opposed to 720? Or is it just that the devices will be a whole lot faster at doing everything than the current models we have now?

Regards
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

I guess it would be the same, those devices does not use the main cpu to decode video.
Deleted User 11865

The processor is too slow for software-based 720p playback. 2010 iOS devices can play 720p because they use a dedicated chip (aka "hardware acceleration"). So a new, faster processor probably wouldn't change much.
BrOoke

Post by BrOoke »

Thanks Rodeo, although I have a couple questions four posts up re: screen resolution, unless of course your latest post was in reply to them? If so, can you expand further please?

Kind regards
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

BrOoke wrote: Why does the ATV preset default to 960 instead of 1280, when 1280 x 720 @ 24,25&30fps works just fine on my ATV2 and iPhone 4 devices?
Regards.
The ATV preset is for the ATV. Not for the ATV2 and not for the iPhone 4. So naturally it is designed to the limitations of the ATV. At 30fps, the max resolution the ATV supports is 960.