Notification Support

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

gat

Notification Support

Post by gat »

Two things would be nice to have changed slightly on the Linux G.U.I. design.
1: The (I assume libnotify) pop-up that is created to indicate the conclusion of an encode. Would it be possible to alter it to open the Handbrake window/close the program/other task? This might be something that could be an alteration in the preferences for Linux.

2: The notification icon for Handbrake shows the percentage of completion and the estimated time of completion. Is it possible that it changes upon mouse hovering as opposed to change in position of the mouse while on the icon, Position v. Change in Position?. I do not know if this is a supported feature in Gnome's Panel's Notification are. This second feature is more important.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Notification Support

Post by JohnAStebbins »

gat wrote:Two things would be nice to have changed slightly on the Linux G.U.I. design.
1: The (I assume libnotify) pop-up that is created to indicate the conclusion of an encode. Would it be possible to alter it to open the Handbrake window/close the program/other task? This might be something that could be an alteration in the preferences for Linux.
If I'm understanding you correctly, look in preferences. There are already options to quit hb/suspend computer/shutdown computer when complete. No option to open the hb window yet, but this is where such things would go.
2: The notification icon for Handbrake shows the percentage of completion and the estimated time of completion. Is it possible that it changes upon mouse hovering as opposed to change in position of the mouse while on the icon, Position v. Change in Position?. I do not know if this is a supported feature in Gnome's Panel's Notification are. This second feature is more important.
Here, I think you are talking about the tooltip for the status icon. Tooltip updates are managed by libgtk. I don't have direct control over when it decides to show the update. I am updating it synchronously with the changes in the status bar at the bottom of the main handbrake window. So you would have to talk to the gtk developers about this.
gat

Post by gat »

I hadn't realized that that first part was already present as a feature in Handbrake.

For the second thing, I am talking about the "system tray icon", as it is called in the Preferences window under the General tab. The way that is currently feeds the status' information is when there is a mouse movement. This is unlike the functionality of others e.g. Transmission. Transmission seems to use a time interval of a few seconds to refresh its status information (i.e. upload and download times). Transmission seems to use https://trac.transmissionbt.com/browser ... /tr-icon.c to control its S.T.I. (system's tray's icon). I cannot find anything about controlling the refresh based on time. I seem to find a few references to it being controlled by gpointer, but if one holds the mouse over the S.T.I. for Transmission then the text will periodically change; whereas, in Handbrake, the text will remain until the mouse has changed positions over the S.T.I.
For another example of this, Rhythmbox displays the time elapsed in a song. Without movement of the mouse when over the S.T.I., the time still changes in the pop-up area. I have not browsed the code of Rhythmbox, and do not know if it is simply updating every second incrementing a time change, or if it is just displaying some variable $time or such and the pop-up automatically updates.

I am running 64-bit Fedora 14 Gnome with the latest semi-nightly x86_64 build of Handbrake (there haven't been any changes to the code since it was built).
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

The way that is currently feeds the status' information is when there is a mouse movement.
How did you draw this conclusion? This is not correct. As I already said, I update the status icon's tooltip at the same time as I update the status at the bottom of the main window. And this is updated once every 0.5 seconds on a timer. For whatever reason, gtk is not displaying that update till the mouse moves. I can't tell you why that is. I am using the exact same function to update the status as transmission is. These other apps must be fiddling with some other aspect of the status icon to make this happen. I don't know what that would be though.
gat

Post by gat »

I had meant updating the display of the status' information.
Well that surely is weird. If I discover how those applications are doing that, then I'll pass that information along.