Toy Story 3 - Problems anyone?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
sdjeff4sc

Toy Story 3 - Problems anyone?

Post by sdjeff4sc »

Hey, I just got back from the store w/ my copy of Toy Story 3...... Problem is, disc keeps locking up on me.

First, I tried just using HB, won't find a source. Next, I tried Fairmount and DETOX - proper title on the disc is title 20, DETOX went to title 72...... when I switched it to title 20, DETOX locked up.

I'm going to try disabling libdivnav in HB preferences to see if that'll work.

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem yet
sdjeff4sc

Re: Toy Story 3 - Problems anyone?

Post by sdjeff4sc »

Disabling libdivnav seems to have done the trick............. HB is scanning the titles now........... once I'm done, I'll report back......
sdjeff4sc

Post by sdjeff4sc »

Just finished watching the encode - as usual HB worked brilliantly - it was the user who couldn't figure it out......
rodwell

Post by rodwell »

I just came back from buying Toy Story 3 DVD and tried to encode it to use on my iPod.
HB scanned the disc just fine but still a bit slower than usual. When I went to watch the encoded movie it played random scenes. I believe the title that I tried was 70 which was the default title chosen by HandBrake.

What title did you finally use in HB to get a clean working copy?
Arcticwolf

Post by Arcticwolf »

No problems here with a store bought copy I wanted to put on my iPad.
rodwell wrote:I just came back from buying Toy Story 3 DVD and tried to encode it to use on my iPod.
HB scanned the disc just fine but still a bit slower than usual. When I went to watch the encoded movie it played random scenes. I believe the title that I tried was 70 which was the default title chosen by HandBrake.

What title did you finally use in HB to get a clean working copy?
As stated in the guides and through out the forums, check the title with DVD Player app or VLC app while the film is playing.
devious_pancake

Post by devious_pancake »

I just had the same problem as you. It took me a while to solve this problem.

It turns out that Disney place a bunch of "dummy tracks" of the movie on the CD to trick us. The real track is track 36.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

The real track may be track 36.

It is quite common for Disney to release several variants of the disc in each region, each with a different title for the real feature. As always, it's a good idea to check your own copy prior to encoding than to waste time encoding the wrong title.

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15874
sdjeff4sc

Post by sdjeff4sc »

Sorry for the delay - my encode works perfectly!

For the record, I seem to recall my disc used title 22 so it appears Disney IS actually placing multiple versions of the disc on the market with different title tracks for the main feature..........
SKRYBBL3Z

Post by SKRYBBL3Z »

TedJ wrote:The real track may be track 36.

It is quite common for Disney to release several variants of the disc in each region, each with a different title for the real feature. As always, it's a good idea to check your own copy prior to encoding than to waste time encoding the wrong title.

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15874

hey, sorry if I sound COMPLETELY noob at this, but I can't figure out how to seperate the dummy titles from the real one. I read someone in a previous post say that you can tell just by running a DVD app. But this is where I think I sound hopeless. I have no idea what a DVD app is. Are we talking like Windows Media Player? If so, where can I see which title the DVD chose to play? or is it something I have to download, and what would be the best? Again I'm sorry if I'm so far out of the loop it's irritating, I just wanna figure this thing out.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

What do you play DVDs with when you're not using HandBrake? Use that.
Could be WinDVD or PowerDVD on your PC, could be a standalone set top DVD player, could be a portable DVD player with a built in screen. Any of them should tell you the title number when they're playing the main movie.
Bling2Ming
Enlightened

Post by Bling2Ming »

where can I see which title the DVD chose to play?
I find using VLC handy. The title playing is shown via :- Playback >> Title
jsandoval

Post by jsandoval »

I found my track on 20, I also downloaded VLC player payed the movie and saw the current track playing as 20 then set that as the title in hand brake works great.
1720a519

Post by 1720a519 »

Noob here. Usually use other programs to backup my DVDs without a problem. But then again, this is usually Dora, Elmo and other kids shows. Read your post about using Handbrake for Toy Story 3. Have Handbrake and VLC, and I identified the track (20 for me), but I can't figure out how to isolate that one in Handbrake. I view the list under VIDEO_TS and have a ton of options (VTS_02_2x, VTS_03_x) but the list only goes up to VTS_19_1_VOB. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place? Thank you.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

No, you select the VIDEO_TS folder (or it's parent folder), then select the title you determined using VLC from the drop-down list.

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/TitlesAndChapters
1720a519

Post by 1720a519 »

TedJ wrote:No, you select the VIDEO_TS folder (or it's parent folder), then select the title you determined using VLC from the drop-down list.

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/TitlesAndChapters
I am sorry, I am trying to read through all the posts to figure this out myself but clearly I don't have a clue here. An earlier post said to play the movie using your DVD player to identify the track and chapter, which for me is 20. Per your recommendation I tried going into VLC (after looking at the attached screnshots) to find the information that way, but I just don't see how where I can find out anything other then Chapter 20. I am sure it is right in front of me, I just don't what else I should use to copy via handbrake. Sorry again, I am trying to figure this out as best I can.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Rodeo was kind enough to lay out the procedure, step by step here.
vespol

Post by vespol »

The key is to download the Handbrake nightly build, that will allow you to choose the correct title.