Handbrake can not read the mkv file for input

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
flapp3rs

Handbrake can not read the mkv file for input

Post by flapp3rs »

I've converted a few seasons from my DVD South Park series with makeMKV.

The resulting mkv files were compressed using handbrake 094. The seasons 1 to 3 were done without any problems. Starting with season 4 i get an error dialog box with, when opening the mkv:

---------------------------
Error
No Title(s) found.

Your Source may be copy protected, badly mastered or in a format which HandBrake does not support.
Please refer to the Documentation and FAQ (see Help Menu).
OK

I've tried also the latest nightly build (15.11.2010) with the same result. I also tried to use the mkclean tool from the Matroska webpage. I've checked a few runs with different options (remux, optimize etc. pp.) everything without success.

The mvk files work like a charme in vlc and DirectX based Players on my system. I can choose any audio track or subtitle in that container.

After further investigating with Mediainfo i think that handbrake struggles with the amount of streams in the mkv file. Alle files have
MPEG2 Video (Original DVD Stream, Interlaced), 2 Audio Tracks and 20(!) subtitle streams.

See details here: http://mp.pastebin.com/zRKPdZps

The first three seasons did not have so much subtitle streams. Just 3 or 4.

Could this be the reason why handbrake can't open the mkv containers?
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake can not read the mkv file for input

Post by TedJ »

You're 100% correct, Handbrake (ffmpeg actually) has issues with source files with >16 subtitle streams. Easy fix is to deselect the streams you don't need prior to ripping with MakeMKV.
flapp3rs

Post by flapp3rs »

To bad :(

Has someone any other hint how to remove quickly subtitle streams without the makeMKV turnaround?

But anyway, thanks for your quick reply.
Bling2Ming
Enlightened

Post by Bling2Ming »

flapp3rs wrote:To bad :(

Has someone any other hint how to remove quickly subtitle streams without the makeMKV turnaround?
Open mkv in mkvmergeGUI untick the tracks that aren't required and click the Start Muxing button.
flapp3rs

Post by flapp3rs »

A "do it all just automatically in a batch" would be nicer :D but its almost better, fast than makeMKV them all again...

Thanks for that hint!