2 Pass with new Apple TV preset?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

What do these options exactly do? What is the difference if we dont activate them?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

petvas wrote:What do these options exactly do? What is the difference if we dont activate them?
http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/x264Options

Basically they give you much greater control over the x264 encoder than you currently have with the basic gui controls, incidentally, this capability comes courtesy of jbrjake. Without these options, HandBrake could'nt create the excellent video that it does.
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

If I dont use these options, will there be a quality difference? I have ripped over 200 DVDs at 3000kbps without these options and I find the quality to be excellent.
With the options enabled I think the movies end up brighter.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Well, depends on the movie, platform, the option you choose, etc. etc.
If you are happy with your movies, I wouldnt re-encode them.
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

petvas, if I were you I'd re-do them all. Obviously, what you think looks OK really isn't. And while you're at it, consider ignoring my last two sentences ... ;)
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

deckeda wrote:petvas, if I were you I'd re-do them all. Obviously, what you think looks OK really isn't. And while you're at it, consider ignoring my last two sentences ... ;)
Yeah right!

If I had a Mac Pro with 8 cores maybe.... 8)
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

If I still want to use 3000kbps, I could also use these advanced options, right?
zahadum

Re: appleTV Streaming - 4GB file size - windows or mac?

Post by zahadum »

jasonnorm wrote:
... The key is to keep the file size under 4 GB.

... (The string I am refering to is: bframes=6:ref=3:b-rdo=1:direct=auto:subme=6:trellis=1:analyse=p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,p4x4:me=umh:no-dct-decimate=1:bime=1:weightb=1:mixed-refs=1:no-fast-pskip=1)
@jason:

* the 4Gb file size is still a limit of some version(s) of windows, correct? apple removed this limitation for macs even before osx, i believe, correct?

* as for the string: what do the settings actually do? and where did u get that? it is not the default string (referenced earlier in this post) ...

ps: a suggestion for a Tutorial because being an amateur compressionist is hard! ...

so it would nice if there was some clear tutorial for how each of the parameters worked; if examples were included on a subscription torrent or a dvd (both of which would conserve bandwidth), then this project could move to some kind of financially funded basis that might enable it to support more features!
hawkman
Veteran User

Re: appleTV Streaming - 4GB file size - windows or mac?

Post by hawkman »

zahadum wrote:* the 4Gb file size is still a limit of some version(s) of windows, correct? apple removed this limitation for macs even before osx, i believe, correct?

* as for the string: what do the settings actually do? and where did u get that? it is not the default string (referenced earlier in this post) ...

ps: a suggestion for a Tutorial because being an amateur compressionist is hard! ...

so it would nice if there was some clear tutorial for how each of the parameters worked; if examples were included on a subscription torrent or a dvd (both of which would conserve bandwidth), then this project could move to some kind of financially funded basis that might enable it to support more features!
4GB files will not complete in the currently shipping version of HandBrake, because of limitations in the tools it uses. Until recently QuickTime could not play >4GB files back anyway, and many devices remain incompatible.

Read the handbrake Guide for information on x264 options, we are not going to explain them here I'm afraid, they're complicated.

Yes, being an "amateur compressionist" is hard, but a little research will take you places. Many tutorials exist, as well as extensive (and growing) documentation.

See the thread titled "How to Donate to HandBrake" in the general forum for the answer to your suggestion about finances.

Edited to sound less harsh :)
Last edited by hawkman on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

* the 4Gb file size is still a limit of some version(s) of windows, correct? apple removed this limitation for macs even before osx, i believe, correct?
Anyone using the old Fat32 file system will run into this limit. That shouldn't be too many people these days. (2000/XP made the shift to NTFS although some folk will no doubt still be using Fat32)
http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/x264Options
This is a good start to understanding the advanced options. Some of those options do require the user to put in a bit of work to understand them which isn't unreasonable to expect.
then this project could move to some kind of financially funded basis that might enable it to support more features!
There are so many issues moving with this which is why it's an open source project. There is a sticky kicking around somewhere explaining it.
sembdes

Post by sembdes »

Hey all,

Been lingering but first post here.

I want to use the special Apple TV x264 string for my movies (as above), but want AC3 audio. It doesn't seem possible to select .avi and use the x264 advanced options as above (when selecting an mp4 container). Is this just a limitation of the container format? Or is there some other way to do this?

Many Thanks!
MichaelLAX

Post by MichaelLAX »

dynaflash wrote:Okay, so this might be a decent workaround until our next release:

1. in your prefs, check the box to always set to anamorphic on launch.
2. Click on the HB-AppleTV Preset
3. Click on "2 Pass"
4. Click "+" in the preset drawer
5. Name your preset
6. Do NOT click the use picture settings in preset checkbox
7. add the magic sauce in advanced x264 options field:

Code: Select all

bframes=3:ref=1:subme=5:me=umh:no-fast-pskip=1:no-dct-decimate=1:trellis=2
8. Save preset

Now every time you scan a dvd, the anamorphic max size of the dvd is set (as per your preferences). Click on your new preset and go, your movie will use its own max width from scan and anamorphic (as it should) and you will get all of the settings of the HB-AppleTV preset as well as 2 pass.

This should work just fine, since you likely want to use anamorphic for everything anyway unless you are encoding for iPod in which case the x264(iPod) encoder automatically shuts off anamorphic anyway.

Sorry for the workaround, but the next release will have the presets system much more refined and comprehensive. Thanks for your patience.
Could you please update this post, now that version 0.9.0 has been released. Thank you.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

MichaelLAX wrote:Could you please update this post, now that version 0.9.0 has been released. Thank you.
Sure, for 0.9.0 just click on the built in appleTV preset, then click on 2-pass (also Turbo if you want the first pass done in about half the time with no perceptible quality loss). :)

Edit: Oh, yeah, and when you go to save that as your new preset, in the new preset window for picture settings, choose "Use Source Maximum". Remember, if you want anamorphic, that is considered separately, so you will either want to turn it on in the picture settings window for each encode, or alternately, set it to "on" at launch in your preferences.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Our documentation on Presets has been udpated in our wiki:
http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/Presets

This is also available right from the MacGui in the Help menu (as is all of HandBrakes documentation).