Strangeness with RF based encoding

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Firelight

Strangeness with RF based encoding

Post by Firelight »

Basically, here's what I'm seeing. I have two files of the same source movie ... one 720p, the other 1080p. Both sources were liberal with the bitrate. I am encoding both to 720p using the presets I specified in Devices/Apple TV presets thread ... essentially the high profile preset.

Now, If I encode the 720p file at a constant RF of 20, I get something about 3GB large. If I encode the 1080p movie, I get a file about 1.8GB large. This seems like a very large discrepancy in size for what is essentially the same material.

I can get around to posting some logs, but I would like to know if there is a legitimate reason for this type of behavior and if anyone else can duplicate the issue.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Strangeness with RF based encoding

Post by mduell »

I'd like to see the filters used and quality metrics on the source encodes.
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

Firelight wrote:I can get around to posting some logs, but I would like to know if there is a legitimate reason for this type of behavior and if anyone else can duplicate the issue.
There could be. That's why activity logs are required, so we can see exactly what is going on.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

mduell wrote:I'd like to see the filters used and quality metrics on the source encodes.
Do they put those in NFO files these days? ;)
creamyhorror
Enlightened

Post by creamyhorror »

TedJ wrote:
mduell wrote:I'd like to see the filters used and quality metrics on the source encodes.
Do they put those in NFO files these days? ;)
:lol: :lol: