Ripping DVD to use on PS3 with CLI

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Dartan

Ripping DVD to use on PS3 with CLI

Post by Dartan »

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get this to work with no luck yet. Basically, I just want to rip my DVD to a file format supported on the PS3 so I can watch my movies without having to put the DVD in. I've found a couple suggestions on here, but every time I try to play it the PS3 says it's an unsupported format.

So, I ask, what would the command be (this is in linux btw) to go from a DVD (or ISO file of the DVD) to a file that can be used on the PS3 (preferably without any downscaling, I don't care about size)?

Oh, and I am using the latest beta that has PS3 presets, but not exactly sure how to use that with the CLI.

Thanks!
Dave
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

I don't have a PS3, but looking at the preset .plist, I think it'd be:

Code: Select all

HandBrakeCLI -i dvd -o movie.mp4 -b 2500 -B 160 -R 48 -e x264 -x level=41 -p
Dartan

Post by Dartan »

Thanks for the info! It's running now and I'll let you know if it works.
Dartan

Post by Dartan »

Well, that worked great! I do have a couple questions though.

First, I noticed while playing it back (on my computer or PS3) that there are red and blue dots that flash throughout playback. Is this normal and is there anyway to avoid that?

Second, is there anyway to speed it up? I have an Athlon XP 1900+ and it took almost 5 hours for a 2 hour movie.

Oh, and last but not least, on some movies I get an error saying no title can be found. I read on here about running it with -t 0 to get a list, but how do I know which out of that list is the movie itself?

Dave
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Dartan wrote:First, I noticed while playing it back (on my computer or PS3) that there are red and blue dots that flash throughout playback. Is this normal and is there anyway to avoid that?
No...that's not normal at all--and pretty disturbing to hear. Unfortunately, I've never encountered that problem before, and cannot suggest ways to avoid it...

If it happens with more than one title, post it to the bugs forum.
Second, is there anyway to speed it up?
Probably not. The next beta might be a little faster.
I read on here about running it with -t 0 to get a list, but how do I know which out of that list is the movie itself?
It'll be the one with the right duration.
Dartan

Post by Dartan »

Ok, one last question (I think). Using the command line you gave me, will that record the sound in 5.1? If not, is there an option to record it in 5.1?

Dave
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Dartan wrote:Ok, one last question (I think). Using the command line you gave me, will that record the sound in 5.1? If not, is there an option to record it in 5.1?
The line I gave you downmixes 5.1 AC3 to Dolby Pro Logic 2 in AAC.

You can pass-through the 5.1 AC3 from the DVD, untouched, like so:

-f AVI -E AC3
However, I doubt that's compatible with the PS3.

You could also convert the 5.1 AC3 to 5.1 AAC, like so:

-6 6ch
...but I doubt the PS3 will play that either. You're probably best off sticking with Pro Logic 2 like you're using now.
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

How do I convert things to MP3's? from dvd? HELP please. *smiles*
Dartan

Post by Dartan »

Well you were right, the -f AVI -E AC3 wouldn't play on the PS3, but the -6 6ch did. Unfortunately, it was still only 2 channel. I wonder if the PS3 just refuses to play 5.1 from a video file for some reason.