NO AUDIO?... Read Here! (Summary in First Post) **UPDATED**

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

DisabledTrucker wrote:Okay, I didn't read but the first 7 pages and the last 3 pages of this thread but I thought I would add my 2 cents worth anyways.
You may want to read more... (Particularly my posts on page 11 and 12).

I have a 24" Custom C2D iMac also. If I get done with my 2-pass encode of Smokin Aces before falling asleep, I'll run Tokyo Drift. Or, may have to wait till tomorrow.
DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker »

Cavalicious wrote:
DisabledTrucker wrote:Okay, I didn't read but the first 7 pages and the last 3 pages of this thread but I thought I would add my 2 cents worth anyways.
You may want to read more... (Particularly my posts on page 11 and 12).

I have a 24" Custom C2D iMac also. If I get done with my 2-pass encode of Smokin Aces before falling asleep, I'll run Tokyo Drift. Or, may have to wait till tomorrow.
My 24" has a 2.33GHz, 2GB, 250G HDD, nVidia 7600GT. I did read page 12, my last three pages are 12,13,14. The encode I was doing earlier is only ~85% complete at this point, I will try it tomorrow myself on the iMac after I get back from an appt around lunch time, as well as on the PC Machine tomorrow while I'm gone to the appt. I still think the problem lies in the way iTunes/QuickTime handles the codec and not necessarily the encoder itself. I derive that from the problems that I've had with doing the same encodes on Nero Recode using the same settings, (well as close to the same as possible being two different apps,) but the H264 codec is basically the same and it was having a problem with playback using 5.1 audio in the streams it created as well, but only with QuickTime/iTunes. It's actually in QuickTime though if it is since QuickTimes the actual player that contains the codecs, iTunes just calls them. I should also mention that my versions of QuickTime are all Pro versions with the MP2 add on, not sure if the rest of you are using the same version or not in that reguards. So I don't know if that is the problem as well or not. The version of QuickTime I was using, (there's an update that come out today that it just installed and is currently awaiting a reboot to finish it,) is version 7.1.something or other.

I also know I read one or more of the posts that said something about encoding levels slowing while increasing processor usage, what I also read was that the lower encode levels with decreased processor usage was during subsequent encodes, which tells me that HB didn't clean itself up and that it cached it's encode files the first time and used them on subsequent times. Which would also explain as to why the one person showed they had the same error in his log occured more on the subsequent conversions than it did on the initial one. One may also want to check to see that the code isn't conflicting somehow or trying to access the QuickTime codecs while doing the encode. Not to say there is anything wrong with the code, but there could possibly be a leak or conflict there somewhere causing this problem, I'm not sure. It may not show up on the older titles but be more prominent on the newer ones where the encryption may be causing it to do that. It would be interesting to find this out though, could find out they are using a rootkit in their DRM scheme to cause the software to error like that in ripper software.

The reason I provided my information is that the vast majority of posts that I read were concerning the iMac C2D's along with a G5 or so, I didn't read anything about the G4's with the exception of a single MacPro Dual Proc version of it. I'm only using a single processor in my Powerbook, the others were all reported to be dual proc's, that I had read. This was just to confirm that it also occurs in the single G4's as well. Albeit I've not as of yet used the MTR 3.14b1, I see the same problems as reported here as well. I have though confirmed that the sound is playing in the ripped DVD on the HDD though even though MTR complained about 0 size files after the rip. What I didn't mention previously was that using HB .71 only to convert the DVD, I got sound but it was choppy as hell and the video skipped tremendously. It had a great picture though when it wasn't skipping, the new version has an excellent picture but no sound at all. Much like the problems that were occuring in the Nero Recodes I did with 5.1 audio. I understand they have overcome it, maybe there is something somewhere saying what they did to fix this, but I've not delved deep enough into it as of yet to see what that may be at this point.

As I mentioned they had the problem the last I used it prior to New Years before they fixed the problem, or at least claimed to have fixed it. Maybe looking at the code for it, one can determine what they did in that to fix the problem and use it in this app to fix it as well. For all I know they may have rewrote their library file(s) to fix the problem, it would be well worth the effort of the developers to look into this though. Who knows they may have done something different in the x264/h264 compilation to address and fix this issue. I just don't know at this point, but it would definately be worth a look by the developers to see what they did differently in this to fix their problem and try to adapt it for their program as well. I believe the linux version is still available there in source form they should be able to obtain it and look at it. I think I still have the latest linux version, but I don't know if it contains the source or not, I'll have to bring up the other system to look and see what I have still if they need it, just let me know.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

eddyg wrote:
deckeda wrote: The only consistent thing so far is inconsistency (at least between users. Some never have issues with a given method.)
I wonder the the audio issues coincide with a chapter break?
in my experience, yes, the audio drops/hickups happen on chapter breaks.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

DisabledTrucker wrote:My 24" has a 2.33GHz, 2GB, 250G HDD, nVidia 7600GT.
My iMac is the same /w 500gb HDD and 1tb external.
DisabledTrucker wrote:...QuickTime codecs issue...
Then it would never work for anyone who encodes h.264
DisabledTrucker wrote:The reason I provided my information is that the vast majority of posts that I read were concerning the iMac C2D's along with a G5 or so, I didn't read anything about the G4's with the exception of a single MacPro Dual Proc version of it.
Already stated in earlier posts, that I had the same issue with PowerBook G4.

Admittedly so, you have a lot of Apple to Oranges situations compared to what is on this Thread. Not saying your post don't completely matter or anything like that.

Summary:

1. Don't use a G4 Powerbook to encode. There are a 3020 things that could go wrong in the half of day it takes to encode a good quality h.264.

2. My request that you read(re-read) page 11 and 12, was to show that Full DVD Extraction with MTR 3.0r14d along with latest HandBrakeCLI works fine (read no audio drops).

3. Tokyo Drift has the ARccOS Protection on the DVD (MTR told me). Full Extraction done. 2-Pass encoding started before work today. I will post results when I get home.

I can't speak to any issues with the Window issues, but again, that would be a Orange in a Apple world. (Pun intended).
Cavalicious

For DisabledTrucker...

Post by Cavalicious »

Code: Select all

./HandBrakeCLI -i /New\ Downloads/FASTANDFURIOUSTOKYODRIFT/ -t 1 -o /New\ Downloads/FASTANDFURIOUSTOKYODRIFTWS.mp4 -p -m -e x264 -b 3000 -2 -r 23.976 -E facc -a 1 -B 160 -R 44.1 -6 6ch -v
Works like a champ!
DisabledTrucker

Cavalicious wrote: Summary:

1. Don't use a G4 Powerbook to encode. There are a 3020 things that could go wrong in the half of day it takes to encode a good quality h.264.

2. My request that you read(re-read) page 11 and 12, was to show that Full DVD Extraction with MTR 3.0r14d along with latest HandBrakeCLI works fine (read no audio drops).

3. Tokyo Drift has the ARccOS Protection on the DVD (MTR told me). Full Extraction done. 2-Pass encoding started before work today. I will post results when I get home.

I can't speak to any issues with the Window issues, but again, that would be a Orange in a Apple world. (Pun intended).
After my meeting earlier today I come home and passed out, so I haven't had the chance to try the iMac, but when I did get done with the last conversion it didn't work. I reripped it using MTR 3.14b and that told me what I already knew that it had ARccOS on it, it ripped it fine without the errors it showed prior with the 2.6.6 version. I hadn't tried using the CLI version, I'm using the GUI version of it. If it's going to take a 1/2 day to encode on a G4 Powerbook, then I'm just going to go back to using the PC to do them as a good quality conversion on it is only about 3-4 hours. I'm getting ready to redo it on that and see what it does when played back in QuickTime. I'm also fixing to restart doing it on the G4, like I said I had ripped it again before I passed out, now I'm going to convert it. I'll post back again when I get them both done.
skim1420

Post by skim1420 »

You know after going through about 50 titles in my library, I noticed the list of titles where audio drops out for me: they're all Disney titles.

Skimming through this thread, it seems there's a large variance out there, but I thought it interesting that so far on my list it's been:

- The Incredibles
- Mary Poppins
- The Lion King
- The Princess Diaries

Now I do have Disney titles that ripped successfully - Finding Nemo, High School Musical, Fantasia 2000, Monsters, Inc... but all of my DVDs where audio dropped out were Disney's..

Think there's a pattern here?
DisabledTrucker

I forgot to update this, after I upgraded to MTR 3.R14 I re-ripped The Fast and The Furious - Tokyo drift, then re-run it through HB, it worked just fine. I've also ripped Stigmata and the other F&F series as well as few others and haven't had any other problems with it. I didn't use the CLI version either. Stigmata and a few others, although encoded did have some skips in it but I attribute that to the speed of the PowerBook. I've still not tried it on the iMac yet though, I've got to redo the iMac first, to get bootcamp working first, it's randomly crashing from a previously failed attempt to get it running.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

DisabledTrucker wrote:Stigmata and a few others, although encoded did have some skips in it but I attribute that to the speed of the PowerBook.
skips? you mean the audio breaks for a second or so? if so, i do not see how the speed of the machine you are encoding with would have anything to do with the issue.

did you rip using MTR beta in full disk or main feature only modes?

thanks.
DisabledTrucker

I used Full Disk mode, the "skips" I'm seeing is where the audio and video both "skip" like a record that's been bumped. There are a few places in them where it will jump a second or two in the film. I know for sure it's not the DVD's themselves as they play just fine as does the rips when played back using DVD Player and they do okay when using Nero/DVDIdle to rip/encode them. But the machine the Nero/DVDIdle is on is a much more powerful one than the Powerbook I'm using. Plus I goofed and left Yahoo running in the background when I was encoding them, so I'm saying that it's not necessarily the fault of the HB software but the fact that I had other processes running that caused it, along with the fact that the 1.25GHz G4 isn't powerful enough to do the encode with other things also running.

It would be nice if there was a way to run the HB software at a lower processor stage than what it's currently using, (if you look at Recode, it gives the option to run it at "Low", "Below Normal", "Normal", "Above Normal", and ""Real Speed".) Most people will never use "Above Normal" and definately not "Real Speed" but the lower ones would be nice to have so one can simultaniously run this without it causing these skips during encodes where something else may want to use some of the processor as well. This is why Nero went this route with Recode, but I don't know if this is even possible with the PPC processors or not, it is though with the x86 for sure though. I also understand the programmers may not have the knowledge to do this but it would be a welcome addition if you can add it.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

DisabledTrucker wrote:It would be nice if there was a way to run the HB software at a lower processor stage than what it's currently using, (if you look at Recode, it gives the option to run it at "Low", "Below Normal", "Normal", "Above Normal", and ""Real Speed".) Most people will never use "Above Normal" and definately not "Real Speed" but the lower ones would be nice to have so one can simultaniously run this without it causing these skips during encodes where something else may want to use some of the processor as well.
Are you insane, who would want to wait any longer than they have to, to encode a movie!?

Better yet, try using your iMac before complaining. Both cores run anywhere between 92%-100% utilization and I can still run EyeTV and browse the internet using FireFox. No problems with my encodes.

When you're using an old Powerbook G4, what expectations could you possibly have? Like I said in my earlier post, Don't use a G4 to encode!
pjroberts

No audio frequently in HB 0.8.5b1 but HB 0.7.1 works!

Post by pjroberts »

I'm not technically savvy when it comes to audio, but on perhaps 50% of my DVD to mp4 conversions, the audio from HB 0.8.5b1 goes silent after a few minutes. In 90% of the cases of HB 0.8.5b1 silence, HB 0.7.1 will work fine.

Average video bitrate: 1500
2-pass encoding
Codecs: MPEG-4 Video / AAC Audio
Encoder: FFmpeg

The DVD folder is always the result of movie-only MTR 3.0 r14d processing.
TheBum
Novice

Post by TheBum »

I'm convinced that the drives in the Apple portables are responsible for many of the audio skips. I was having problems in one spot with Star Wars: A New Hope, both straight from DVD and after extracting using MTR on my MacBook Pro. However, when I tried using my dual 1 GHz PowerMac G4 tower, I had no audio problems at all.

Just to see if it was a PowerPC vs. Intel problem, I ripped the same movie using MTR 3.0r14d on the PowerMac, copied the VIDEO_TS folder to the MBP, and then encoded it there. Again, I encountered no skips.

I've also had zero problems with all-out drop-outs since I started encoding on my PowerMac. Doing so is considerably slower than on my MBP, but the PowerMac has two DVD burners installed, so I just queue up two per day.
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

I think you may be on to something with the DVD reader built into the Mac. I had issues with Star Wars IV when using the internal DVD drive about a week ago... just tried it again using an external firewire drive and it works perfectly. Using HB 0.8.5b1 to do everything on the AppleTV setting with a 2-pass encode.
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

I need to ammend my previous post after watching the entire movie. There is a skip in the audio at the point where the audio completely dropped out before. It's the scene in the beginning of the movie where Vader's Star Destroyer is opening fire on the Tantive IV. The audio resumes after a split second gap and doesn't cut out again.
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

DisabledTrucker wrote: It would be nice if there was a way to run the HB software at a lower processor stage than what it's currently using ...
Completely unnecessary.

HB is a good neighbor to other processes that may be running. Consider:

1) If HB is the only thing of consequence running, it'll consume most of what your computer can deliver (CPU-wise) automatically --- just as you'd want it to.

2) If you step in and begin surfing the Web, check your email, mess around in the Finder, etc., HB takes a back seat so that you can do those things and not become unhappy that your Mac is "totally unresponsive" while HB is running.

3) When you lay off from doing other things HB automatically says, "geez, I thought he'd never leave ..." and goes back to work on the job some more at greater speed.

You can easily witness all of this by looking at the encoding fps in HB's window at the bottom (it tanks if you ask the Mac to do other things and goes back up when you're done) as well as HB's CPU usage in Activity Monitor.
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

TheBum & Deimos ---

It's well known that the Mitsubishi drives Apple puts in the portables are crappy for ripping DVDs. Lots of people on the Mac The Ripper forums have pulled their hair out over this.

However, I don't think a connection has been made or implied necessarily that the audio problems here with HB are related to the Mitsu drives.

In any event, if you're serious about ripping DVDs, one of the most effective things you can do for a MacBook is to invest in a decent FireWire case and a Pioneer or other good optical drive. You'll at least eliminate one variable and enjoy faster rips in the bargain.
DisabledTrucker

As I can't attest to the "Mitsu" drives, (mines a pioneer in my powerbook), if you're having a skip problem when encoding from the ripped folder and yet the ripped folder plays fine in DVD player, then that's not the problem. If there is a skip in the DVD player in the same place as the converted file has then you can claim there is a problem somewhere with the drive, (possibly.) This doesn't seem to be the case especially since you don't have a problem when encoding the same ripped folder on another system which has more processors. All that tells me is that you're having a problem that is processor related, one that would benifit from the ability to control the processor usage, as I mentioned. Actually, I've noticed none of the abilities that you claimed when using it on my powerbook. I'm barely able to use the PB to browse the internet, then it's painfully slow, as is doing any chatting on yahoo while HB is running. I have my processor running full speed while plugged in and doing these encodes, and still have this problem. I also noticed that when ANYTHING else is running in the background while this is on the G4, it produces skips in either the audio or the video or both, when nothing else is running but this, it does just fine. Why should I have to use my iMac to do it, maybe I want to do it on a G4 or maybe others whom only have the Single G4 want to use this as well. Even still they may want to change the system requirements to run this to Dual G4 as those don't seem to have the problems I'm experiencing. At least note a warning that one may not be able to use it while doing anything else on the single G4's. One last thing, if you're going to invest in the Pioneer drive, you don't necessarily have to put it in a firewire drive, just update the one on the laptop, like I did when I first got my first powerbook and this one as well, when I also upgraded my HDD to a 7200 rpm one.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

DisabledTrucker wrote: Why should I have to use my iMac to do it, maybe I want to do it on a G4 or maybe others whom only have the Single G4 want to use this as well.
DisabledTrucker wrote: I also noticed that when ANYTHING else is running in the background while this is on the G4, it produces skips in either the audio or the video or both...
You answered your own question...
DisabledTrucker wrote:Even still they may want to change the system requirements to run this to Dual G4 as those don't seem to have the problems I'm experiencing. At least note a warning that one may not be able to use it while doing anything else on the single G4's.
Why should HB change (or state for that matter) minimal requirements. If it runs on your machine, fine. If not, oh well. You didn't lose any money. Most of all, its BETA SOFTWARE.

You post a particular issue on this thread, I gave you a solution (2 in fact). Yet you still [Censored]. Thus is life I guess...
mikecool493

Post by mikecool493 »

Just wanted to say that this is very annoying.

The problem started with the release of MediaFork 0.8.0

HandBrake 0.8.5 didn't fix the issue.

The problem does not exist with HandBrake 0.7.0

I just tried ripping the exact same DVD (TV Show) with HandBrake 0.7 and the latest, and the latest does not work, but 0.7 did.

Please fix this. :)

Thanks guys, love handbrake <3
qwerty123

Audio fixed in latest SVN?

Post by qwerty123 »

Just noticed that the audio has worked perfectly on my marriage DVD rip. It has been very problematic previously. Haven't had chance to narrow it down beyond that and am off to work. Just thought I'd mention it here to see if it's somehow helped others (rather than a happy co-incidence for me).

It's the SVN with the great new dynaflash pop ups.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: Audio fixed in latest SVN?

Post by dynaflash »

qwerty123 wrote:Just noticed that the audio has worked perfectly on my marriage DVD rip. It has been very problematic previously. Haven't had chance to narrow it down beyond that and am off to work. Just thought I'd mention it here to see if it's somehow helped others (rather than a happy co-incidence for me).

It's the SVN with the great new dynaflash pop ups.
qwerty123, by "dynaflash popups" which popups do you mean ? Do you mean the new popups in the new Advanced Tab in the svn ? Do you know which rev of the svn you built? I ask because before I added that advanced tab, jbrjake updated our build of x264 which *may* have helped with the audio drop issue. especially on dvd's where ffmpeg had no problem, but x264 did.
Kopaki

Post by Kopaki »

Just wanted to relay my experiences having had the audio dropout problem and read the entire thread:

I ripped the "History Boys" DVD with MTR r14d (2.6.6 couldn't manage it).
I ripped it both as main feature only and as full disc.

I ran both rips thru HB 0.7.1 and 0.8.5b1.

I always had av bitrate at 2500, 2-pass On, and tried audio at 160kbps and 128kbps, and used either the x264 or ffmpeg encoder.

So, after 16 different attempts the conclusion is that I only get audio dropout (always at the same place right at the start of the movie) when using the x264 encoder. With ffmpeg it's fine. Neither audio bitrate, movie only or full rip, nor version of HB made any difference.

just my 2 cents.

Thanks for a superb piece of work, I look forward to further improvements!

ps: using a MBP with [Censored] UJ-857 drive.
qwerty123

Post by qwerty123 »

dynaflash wrote:qwerty123, by "dynaflash popups" which popups do you mean ? Do you mean the new popups in the new Advanced Tab in the svn ? Do you know which rev of the svn you built? I ask because before I added that advanced tab, jbrjake updated our build of x264 which *may* have helped with the audio drop issue. especially on dvd's where ffmpeg had no problem, but x264 did.
I do mean those pop-ups! I'm afraid I don't know where to find the rev. I just chose latest in RapidSVN. I did this at 6:29 BST yesterday.

It's just the one encode I tried. With the same AppleTV settings (tweaked for constant quality) I always use. However, I did change the bit rate from 160 to 128. I'll run another test without that extra change and report back.

EDIT: Whilst waiting for the encode, I re-read your question and think it might be significant re timing of adding the Advanced Tab. I had audio fail on the one with the tab and just text box. Then I downloaded again yesterday [Version 0.8.5b1 (2007050901)] and had success with the one with the pop-ups added. So, if the change in x264 you mentioned, happened before the addition of the text box (rather than just before the pop-ups), then we're on yet another pursuit of wild foul!
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

qwerty123 wrote:EDIT: Whilst waiting for the encode, I re-read your question and think it might be significant re timing of adding the Advanced Tab. I had audio fail on the one with the tab and just text box.
Then I downloaded again yesterday [Version 0.8.5b1 (2007050901)] and had success with the one with the pop-ups added. So, if the change in x264 you mentioned, happened before the addition of the text box (rather than just before the pop-ups), then we're on yet another pursuit of wild foul!
Nope, x264 was modded by jbrjake on may 2nd (svn rev's 561 and 562). which was after the advanced tab but before I added the advanced options popups.

So, I believe you are seeing a benefit from jbrjakes upgrade! If you have any others that previously gave you audio drops and want to test them, we would be interested in hearing your results.

Note: jbrjake also increased x264 efficiency for the iPod in rev 577 yesterday. Also, instead of just getting "latest" out of the svn, you really might want to take a look at the revs and the commit notes that accompany them, as some revs may actually be broken and then fixed with the next commit. If you just get "latest" and its between fixes, you might find it doesnt work at all. Sometimes we may commit four or five new revs in a day. It depends.