Multiple DVD to single TS to get over the 9GB limit(SOLVED?)

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Phil Treble

Re: Multiple DVD to single TS to get over the 9GB limit(SOLVED?)

Post by Phil Treble »

OK. So I have my file now (4.41Gb). I can play it on my Mac through Quicktime but my PS3 says 'Corrupted Data'. Blast! Is there still a limit on filesize with MP4 on PS3?
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

As far as I know does the PS3 not support 64Bit MP4s (thus only files <4GB)
normang

Post by normang »

Using DTOX 2.14, I combined Return of the King, DTOX reported that both sections were around 13GB.

If you go to settings and select Dual Layer, you'll get a new folder with your title that the finder reports as 7.9GB.

If you try and set it to larger than 9216 and combine something, DTOX for me, started tossing up multiple times that the max setting is 9216, so I set the custom settting to 9216, and did the combine and now I have a folder that the Finder reports as 9GB.

In the larger folder, I have a VTS_01_8.VOB that is 1GB and a VTS_01_9.VOB that is 1023.8MB, whereas in the smaller folder, it stops at VTS_01_8.VOB which is only 917MB.

So I would think even though DTOX had to compress the combine discs to 9GB, from 13GB, that I still get a touch more quality with which to allow handbrake to make a file for Apple TV, or whatever, that would be a touch better.. It may all be moot, hard to say...
djdeejay

Post by djdeejay »

To bring this topic back, this is the same with Godfather Part 2 (PAL!!!)

Theres a lot of unnessary arguement and miss-understanding in this thread. Basically PAL DVDS are bigger - hence various dual pal disc combined will be well over the 9gb file limit even for just the main feature.

Godfather part two is one of these with 7gb on disc one and 5gb on disc 2. (These discs literally ONLY have the main feature anyway they dont even have chapter menus etc)

DVD2OneX is not a option for his until the custom menu allows you to set larger than 9gb...which is probably never will do because of breaking DVD compatibility.

Unfortnatly there is no simple application which can just merge .mp4/.m4v files and keep the dual soundtrack, subtitles (which are needed for godfather 2) and chapters - which means we currently have no choice but to have Godfather 2 as two seperate files on an Apple TV.

If any program comes out that displays any difference please post it in here.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

You can create VOBs larger than 9GB that will be readable by HandBrake, depending on the toolset used. On Windows, I just combined VOB 9 with every subsequent VOB into one gigantic VOB 9 and HandBrake read it effortlessly. Your mileage may vary, but it can be done.

Rodney
djdeejay

Post by djdeejay »

rhester wrote:You can create VOBs larger than 9GB that will be readable by HandBrake, depending on the toolset used. On Windows, I just combined VOB 9 with every subsequent VOB into one gigantic VOB 9 and HandBrake read it effortlessly. Your mileage may vary, but it can be done.

Rodney
Im on MAC.

Whilst i know Handbrake will read any Vob size - theres no program on the MAC which will make any vob size. The only decent vob merging program we've got at all is DVD2OneX and that wont let you do it, end of.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

There is a tool for combining files under OS X that's already on your machine, as long as you don't mind opening a Terminal to get to it.

http://developer.apple.com/documentatio ... cat.1.html
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Just a friendly reminder - as chapters are a function of the IFO and not the VOB, they will be borked if you try any of this. Whatever you do, don't attempt chapter breaks, or you will be badly disappointed.

Rodney
Last edited by TedJ on Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Borked BBCode. ;-)
djdeejay

Post by djdeejay »

rhester wrote:Just a friendly reminder - as chapters are a function of the IFO and not the VOB, they will be borked if you try any of this. Whatever you do, don't attempt chapter breaks, or you will be badly disappointed.

Rodney
Thanks for that Rodney (and the pointed TJ)

I will give the terminal commands a go - i think ive got them worked out - and before that i will write down the chapter times, and will try and re-add them at a later date, i can add them to MetaTag can't i? Or even in Handbrake?
djdeejay

Post by djdeejay »

Rodney, are subtitles also stored in the .ifo, or are they in the vob.

I can loose the chapter markers, but i cannot lose the subtitles in Godfather 2 - and i want to keep the 2 audio tracks ive ripped too (although id imgine these are in the vob)
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Subs are in the VOB, but the timings are absolute, not relative - so I don't know how they will behave when manually concatenated. Best thing to do is try.

Rodney
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

I could have sworn I posted something earlier...

Anyway, after a bit of brainstorming I thought about cat'ing the rips that I already had from the two DVDs. Sadly it didn't work. The combined file had the size of both files, but only played the first disc rip. Also, it showed as having double the number of soundtracks, and they were no longer labeled correctly.

So, I guess I'll see about making the monster final VOB, as Rodney suggested and see how that goes.

SC
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Looks like a giant final VOB doesn't work(for me at least), so it looks like a super giant VOB and send that direct to HB.

SC
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

I might have found something that might work for combining the output of two discs.

I can't test it right now, as the Intel mini has a queue that will keep it ripping well into the evening (it's 0200 now), and the G4 mini is working on something that has the CPU full out.

http://www.3am.pair.com/QTCoffee.html

I'll add another chapter or something, to combine with an existing file, to the Handbrake queue to see what I can get from this.

SC
golias
Enlightened

Post by golias »

I guess I'm a little confused why you can't just rip each disk as a separate media file, then combine them afterwards using QT Pro (or whatever your favorite video editing tool is.)
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

You can. But QT Pro didn't work for me on something that was pretty simple, so I don't want to trust it to something big.

I was going to use Virtual Dub, on the peecee, since I have heard how awesome it is, but it would seem that it only puts out avi files. Since I rip to m4v, that would cramp my style! :wink:

You can't cat the files because that process just dumps the info from the second file in on top of the data from the first file. Resulting a big file that only plays the first part. Apparently this has something to do with the whole container concept. And I just read a novel reason as to why it doesn't work with audio files, and I'm thinking that's why it's not working with video. However VOBs must be pretty simple, as cat worked great with VOBs. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get an IFO to show the languages correctly.

SC
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Is this a good time to mention that DTOX 2.30 will now allow you to merge titles in excess of 9GB?
jbuk

Post by jbuk »

How about ripping the discs separately, and then demuxing the .m4v so that you get two .264 files which you can cat, along with your audio tracks. After this, you can then remux the new cat'ed files back into the container using something (mp4box CLI maybe?).

Header information inside the .264s may break everything and this theory may well become completely useless, but its worth a try?

Another thought: possibly even creating a .ts with the whole .264s in it and them muxing that?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

TedJ wrote:Is this a good time to mention that DTOX 2.30 will now allow you to merge titles in excess of 9GB?
When I tried it, it only let me keep one audio track, and I wanted all four of the audio tracks in the project I had.

SC
Last edited by Smithcraft on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

jbuk wrote:How about ripping the discs separately, and then demuxing the .m4v so that you get two .264 files which you can cat, along with your audio tracks. After this, you can then remux the new cat'ed files back into the container using something (mp4box CLI maybe?).

Header information inside the .264s may break everything and this theory may well become completely useless, but its worth a try?

Another thought: possibly even creating a .ts with the whole .264s in it and them muxing that?
That seems like an awful lot of work! However, since I still haven't figured out IFOedit, in Windows, all that might let you keep the audio tracks named.

SC
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Still looking for a tool to join video files, and found that D-Vision also combines VOBs.

Won't have a chance to test till I get to Das Boot, but here you go.

http://www.objectifmac.com/dvision.php

SC
Tig3RStyluS

Re: Multiple DVD to single TS to get over the 9GB limit(SOLV

Post by Tig3RStyluS »

There is a simple way of achieving a single file output from handbrake (from the two Lord of the Rings SEE DVD Disc rips), by feeding handbrake one joined file to begin with...

My solution is using a windows pc (sorry i dont use mac's) but i think theres a method for running windows on a mac, so if you use a mac, run windows on it and you can have success with this simple method too.

Preparation:
1. Download MKVToolNix (Free)
2. Extract all the Files/folders from the zip you downloaded for MKVtoolnix and put them in a folder somewhere handy called "MKVToolNix" or whatever you desire.
3. Download and Install AnyDVD HD (Free trial)
4. Download and Install Handbrake 0.94 (windows) (Free)
5. Download and Install VLC (windows) (Free)

Ripping the DVD's to your PC
1. Go to systray and right click the red fox icon and select "Rip VideoDVD to Hard Disk" This will Use AnyDVD to rip your Lord of the rings special extended edition disc 1 and disc 2 to your hard drive. By default it will rip to 2 different folders:
2. You need to determine which folder you want those DVDrip folders to be saved to. Leave all AnyDVD settings on defaults.

folders created by AnyDVD will be:
LOTR_SEE_D1
LOTR_SEE_D2

This step should take approx 10-15 minutes per DVD on a Core-i7 / Core2 Quad / Core2 Duo or 10-15 minutes for both discs in parallel if you have more than 1 dvd drive.

Merging the Mpeg & Audio Streams
This step takes approx 2 minutes

1. Run MKVmerge (double click on mmg.exe inside the "MKVToolnix" folder if you did as i suggested above)
2. Goto the "input" tab (you dont need to use any other tab or option) hit the "Add" button
3. Browse to LOTR_SEE_D1, then the TS folder inside. Select the first VOB file in the folder that has a size of 0.99gb when you hover over it. It will popup a dialogue box stating that it is also processing the other vob files in the folder... ok the popup.
4. Untick every stream except the MPEG stream (the first item in the list) and the Audio stream(s) you require (in my case i want the first English AC3 5.1, so i tick the first AC3 stream and untick every other). This should leave you with just two items in the list ticked, assuming you only want one audio track.
5. Click the "Append" button.. this time browse to LOTR_SEE_D2, then the TS Folder inside. Again Select the first VOB file in the folder that has a size of 0.99gb when you hover over it. It will again popup the processing other vobs in folder message as before, ok the popup.
6. You will notice its added another mpeg stream and more audio streams and given them ID numbers. Just ensure that both Mpeg streams (for the first disc vobs and the second disc vobs) are ticked and the desired matching Audio stream(s) (for the first disc vobs and the second disc vobs). If you have English AC3 5.1 like me, then it will be the first 4 tickboxes in the list ticked and all the others unticked (assuming you want only 1 Audio track).
7. Set the path where you want to save the resulting MKV file and name it if you like.
8. Stick the kettle on, make a brew and come back in a min or two and you will have an MKV file containing the original Mpeg streams (joined) and AC3 streams (joined). Providing you selected matching Mpeg/AC3 streams for vobs from both discs, then normally there should be no errors reported by MKVmerge.
9. You can validate if the append operation was successful by browsing to the folder where you saved the MKV file created by MKVmerge.. right click on it and open it with VLC.

Just to stop you from panicking.....

Note 1: If you playback in VLC, the film length will be displayed on the bottom right of VLC control panel as: "00:00/4:12:23" (thats a good sign that you got all of the film inside the MKV!!)
Note 2: The full joined MKV will play in VLC only but if you try to skip forward using the control buttons or slider bar, VLC will crash.
Note 3: The file will not run Windows Media Player or DivX Plus Player, just VLC

Encode time
Final step is to open the file in Handbrake as you would normally open any type of video file, set your encoding prefs, start encoding and happy days you will have a H.264 MKV or MP4 file that is 4:12:23 in length :-)

The only drawback is one that somebody else mentions on the same thread.. you wont retain the chapter information in Handbrake.

You can exactly the same operation for other DVD's in the Trilogy. "The Two Towers" dvd rip does pop a warning during MKVmerge about the length not matching between the files, but the resulting MKV file works fine in Handbrake afterwards. Return of the King has no errors during MKVmerge and works fine in Handbrake afterwards.

Hope it helps.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Uh, simple?

Rip both disks with DVD Decrypter, IFO mode, to a single file. Optionally remove the streams you don't care about (foreign languages, subtitles, etc) in DVD Decrypter.

copy /b DISK1.VOB+DISK2.VOB LOTR1.VOB

Bam. No chapters, but whatever.
Tig3RStyluS

Post by Tig3RStyluS »

Since the DRM [Censored]'s at Macrovision now own the code for DVD Decrypter, it is not updated for a long time, maybe 2 or more years since they scared the author to death. This means a lot of latest generation of DVDs with copy protection like Macrovisions own "Ripguard" cannot have the protection removed by DVD Decrypter. Its fair to say that most of my library was ripped in the first instance with that tool, but since its no longer updated, i exclusively use AnyDVD HD for both DVD and Bluray as this is regularly updated to combat latest copy protections. I havent tried this LOTR SEE DVD with DVD Decrypter, but if it works great. But the more reliable way to remove the protection of discs on pc's these days is using AnyDVD. There may be equivalent Mac tools (sorry for my mac ignorance) but essentially using MKV Merge to create an MKV with whichever streams you decide to keep, i expect will work from any vobs you extract with most decryption tools. The MKV can then be fed into Handbrake. Im looking at importing chapters into the MKV before going into handbrake, ill post back if i have success.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

AFAIK nothing prevents you from using DVD Decrypter in combination with AnyDVD.

Either way using a program like DVD Decrypter, CloneDVD, MakeMKV or any software with a reasonable awareness of a DVD file structure is probably more user-friendly than using MKVToolnix on the structure itself.

And let's say you want to combine the 3 standard LOTR discs without the end credits, said solutions above will let you trim the last chapters (i.e. the credits) from the output where MKVToolnix can't see DVD chapters.

Also, if you use MakeMKV at some point (either directly to rip, or for the initial DVD structure -> MKV conversion), you can not only preserve chapters but also VOBSUB subtitles, in a way that the latest HandBrake nightlies support almost as well as if it came from a DVD structure (not tried Foreign Audio Search on an MKV source yet, may not work).

Once preprocessed with said tools, it's only a matter of doing Add/Append then "Start muxing" in MKVToolnix.