Advanced Bluray/HDDVD Workflow & Features Discussion

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
fangorn

Re: Advanced Bluray/HDDVD Workflow & Features Discussion

Post by fangorn »

Hi,

I did not read the whole thread, but I get the impression someone here could benefit of a little Perl program I wrote.

It is based on mpls_dump (which you might know) but reimplemented in Perl and uses the data parsed to display information (as the original) and write .meta files for tsMuxeR. Also it outputs chaptermarks in standard format (as used by dvdxchap for DVD chapter marks).

This program is developed and tested under Linux, but if you edit the languages to your likings and the paths to the external programs (tsMuxeR, java and BDSup2Sub.jar), it should run without problems on any platform that has Perl, tsMuxeR and Java runtime. :mrgreen:

Feature list
  • mpls_dump feature list reimplemented in bluray-info:
  • read BluRay Playlist(s) and display runtime of the title(s) specified
  • optionally display chapter information
  • optionally display detailed information
  • optionally display list of clips used in the title
  • when parsing multiple Playlists, filter short titles, duplicate and repetitive clips
    0.0.1 additions:
  • write .meta file(s) (for tsMuxeR) for one playlist, the longest of all given playlists or all given playlists
  • filter the output to .meta file for short titles, duplicate and repetitive clips
  • optionally only use two predefined languages for audio and subtitle streams to write to .meta file
  • optionally use tsMuxeR and generated .meta file to export selected streams to MPEG Transport stream container
  • optionally use tsMuxeR to strip DTS-HD and TrueHD down to DTS and AC3 core respectively
  • accept single directory as input and parse every playlist in the according BluRay directory structure
  • export all titles longer than <min> minutes when optional value --longer <min> bigger than 1
  • optionally only extract core stream if DTS-HD or TrueHD audio
  • export chapter marks to a file when writing tsMuxeR meta file
    (optionally specify name of the chaptermark file)
  • optionally export and convert Sup subtitles to Vobsub (DVD) format (using BDSup2Sub)
    including optional target framerate and video geometry change
Development Status

The features of the original program are quite stable and relatively well tested in my reimplementation.
The new features added by me do work as far as I have them tested, but the handling is everything but foolproof. :roll:

Usage

go into the BluRay directory (or the BDMV directory) and call the program.
for example:

Code: Select all

bluray-info BDMV/PLAYLIST/*
will list the durations of all the available titles. As does

bluray-info .

bluray-info --filter_short .
will display all titles longer than x seconds (default is 300 seconds).

bluray-info --longest 60 .
will list the durations of all titles longer than 60 minutes.

These filter options are available for tsMuxeR output mode also.

bluray-info -Tt test BDMV/PLAYLIST/00000.mpls BDMV/PLAYLIST/00001.mpls
will create test_00000.meta, test_00000.ts, test_00001.meta, test_00001.ts in the working directory.

Finally, the program

http://progs.fangornsrealm.eu/bluray-info/bluray-info

I hope someone finds this usefull.
fangorn
keithdroz

Post by keithdroz »

I know this is going to come off sounding dumb (newbie).....but is there any Windows version (or similar) of Subler? I'm trying to get subs inserted into Gojira. I got the SRT file. I have Handbrake encoding for ATV but the subs get lost in the encoding......HELP! MetaX does not help for that. thx.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

keithdroz wrote:I'm trying to get subs inserted into Gojira. I got the SRT file. I have Handbrake encoding for ATV but the subs get lost in the encoding......HELP!
You should be able to add the srt subs right in handbrake. what do you mean "they get lost in encoding" ?
I add srt subs quite frequently with the mac gui and it works fine.
keithdroz

Post by keithdroz »

Hand brake (windows) allows me to add the SRT file...but when i load the finished file into ATV the subtitles are not there. I check the SRT file and it's good. I know you can't force the Subs...that's ok but it's not even showing up on the encoded file.

When i select the SRT file it greys out the Forced and Burned In options. the only one selectable is DEFAULT. I select English as the SRT language and UTF-8 as the code....

wonder if i am missing something......thx for the replies. I appreciate it.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Are you using the mp4 suffix for your transcoded file? The Apple TV needs the m4v suffix in order to spot the subs. Try renaming the file... they're identical aside from the different suffix.
keithdroz

Post by keithdroz »

Always use the Mv4 suffix.. thx.
keithdroz

Post by keithdroz »

On to the subject of Chapters:

After ClownBD processes all of this into a MT2S file what's left, chapter-wise is a txt file with the chapter stop points. that's fine. I'm not sure if clownBD puts the chapters in the MT2S file or Handbrake doesn't recognize it...be that as it may. How can i get at least the chapter stops into Handbrake? or does that have to be done post process? and what can I use, post process (providing it's on Windows)?

thx.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

keithdroz wrote:Hand brake (windows) allows me to add the SRT file...but when i load the finished file into ATV the subtitles are not there. I check the SRT file and it's good. I know you can't force the Subs...that's ok but it's not even showing up on the encoded file.
Have you held down play/pause on your atv remote to bring up the subtitle menu ? Unless you have your subs turned on in the atv general prefs they are not on by default (regardless of the default flag set in hb). You should see them listed if they are there in that menu.
keithdroz

Post by keithdroz »

yes. and yes. the subs are just not there. I'm playing with some different settings. i'll let you you know what happens. thx for the reply
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

OK, this is why we require activity logs... All the questions you've been asked to date would have been answered by your log file.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

keithdroz wrote:On to the subject of Chapters:

After ClownBD processes all of this into a MT2S file what's left, chapter-wise is a txt file with the chapter stop points. that's fine. I'm not sure if clownBD puts the chapters in the MT2S file or Handbrake doesn't recognize it...be that as it may. How can i get at least the chapter stops into Handbrake? or does that have to be done post process? and what can I use, post process (providing it's on Windows)?

thx.
The chapter markers are not part of the m2ts file, so you'd need to use an additional piece of software to attach the chapter markers and names to the output file from Handbrake. As I said in the original post, subler on the Mac will do this nicely. Unfortunately, I do not know of a Windows utility that offers the same functionality.

Perhaps one day this functionality will be added to Handbrake. There has been a resurgence of interest in an old patch to allow save/load functionality of chapter names; maybe this will be expanded one day if/when a developer has a need for this feature.
SideShowBob

Post by SideShowBob »

thx.
I stopped having ClownBD mux with TSMuxer, partly for this reason. I know have it just extract everyting I want (video, audio, chapters, subs) and then I mux the chapter file along with the video and audio into an MKV file to feed Handbrake. Works brilliantly.
mattonline

Post by mattonline »

For Windows, I am able to use Chapter Grabber (Google ChapterGrabber.3.7) to open my Blu Ray movie and grab the actual chapters. The title search functionality doesn't work for me (not sure why and don't care) so I use 'Edit, Reset Chapter Names' to actually put placeholder names there. Then I save the file and use Drax (http://www.arlt.eu/blog/projects/drax/) to import the chapters into the finished .m4v (the output from Handbrake). Finally, MetaX will add all the tags you want - including the proper names for the chapters you imported.

The only thing I still have issues with (like many others) are the forced subtitles. There is no program for windows with functionality similar to Subler. The only reason I started converting my Blu Rays and DVD's is to watch them on an iPad. The subtitle thing is driving me batty...
TedC
Experienced

Post by TedC »

Hi All.

I am also having a problem with HandBrake inserting the srt subtitles in my encode.

here's my encode log:
http://handbrake.fr/pastebin/pastebin.php?show=1408

in VLC - the resultant .m4v file does not have the subtitles track - however - I can open the external srt in VLC with the video - and I can confirm they are showing up (I'd take this to mean that the srt file is valid - if VLC does show subtitles from the external srt file).

This was encoded with a nightly build (GUI svn 3289 (2010050901), HandBrake-svn3289-Win_CLI).

Edit: Forgot to mention - the srt file was produced from the Avatar Blu ray (extraced sup file with eac3to, converted to srt file (forced only) with SupRip) - could it be the srt file is not udf-8 and I need to use a different setting there in my encode? How could you tell what your srt file is?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

TedC wrote:Edit: Forgot to mention - the srt file was produced from the Avatar Blu ray (extraced sup file with eac3to, converted to srt file (forced only) with SupRip) - could it be the srt file is not udf-8 and I need to use a different setting there in my encode?
Either that or it's empty:
TedC wrote:

[09:41:43] mux: track 3, 0 frames, 0 bytes, 0.00 kbps, fifo 8
TedC wrote:How could you tell what your srt file is?
Smultron has a reasonably reliable charset detector and displays it in the main window - but it's a Mac app.
TedC
Experienced

Post by TedC »

Thanks Rodeo - the srt is definitely not empty (sample below):

00:11:08,584 --> 00:11:10,752
May the All Mother...

00:11:10,753 --> 00:11:12,921
...smile upon our first meeting.

00:11:13,964 --> 00:11:16,174
Not bad. You sound a little formal.

00:11:17,301 --> 00:11:19,594
I studied for five years...

00:11:19,595 --> 00:11:21,721
...but there is much to learn.

00:42:50,484 --> 00:42:53,319
Calm people, calm.

00:42:59,034 --> 00:43:01,869
What are you doing, Tsu'tey?

00:43:04,373 --> 00:43:07,333
These demons are forbidden here.

00:43:08,085 --> 00:43:10,420
There has been a sign.

00:43:10,421 --> 00:43:12,755
This is a matter for the Tsahik.
My problem was probably the same problem as this guy... http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... ode#p75725 I hadn't realized that the srt was simple a txt file that could be re-saved in notepad. I had used the raw output from whatever Suprip was giving me... Fixing it now and trying again.
gonzus

Post by gonzus »

thx.
Sorry if this is too late... Anyway, as I said on my workflow details, I use mkvmerge (http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... loads.html) to open the MKV file created with Handbrake and add the chapter markers (among other things), then remux. It works perfectly on Windows.
288enzo

Post by 288enzo »

SideShowBob wrote:

thx.
I stopped having ClownBD mux with TSMuxer, partly for this reason. I know have it just extract everyting I want (video, audio, chapters, subs) and then I mux the chapter file along with the video and audio into an MKV file to feed Handbrake. Works brilliantly.
My process is somewhat similiar, but I can't seem to get Handbrake to retain chapter markers. I use EAC3TO to mux and MKVmergeGUI to remux. I through the MKV into Handbrake, chapter markers don't automatically show up, I have to adjust one chapter down from the dropdown box, click on enable chapter markers, then adjust the chapter dropdown box to the last chapter again. Now it shows that I have chapters, but when Handbrake finishes I'm still left with a M4V file without chapters. What are you doing differently?

Thanks.
Nephilimator

Post by Nephilimator »

Wow this is frustrating. The movie in question is Pan's Labyrinth so I need subs as I don't understand Spanish.

This is a BR so I extracted the SUP files. I have tried so many different approaches: I have SRT's that came from OCR that I manually fixed for 30 minutes. Media Info displays that the MKV does indeed contain the subtitles but VLC won't display them. But come to find out that does not even matter anymore as the PS3 will not play soft subtitles period. You really suck Sony.

So I need to burn subtitles into this movie. It is of my understanding that you can't burn in SRT's because they are text and not image based. So I grabbed BDSup2Sub and made IDX / SUB files which it appears handbrake cannot even use. So my question is why offer the burn in subtitles option when SRT's are the only allowed file format for importing but yet SRT's can't be burned in? DVD's must be a different scenario that HB can actually read subtitle streams and burn them in?

Is there any option for me to 'post burn in' subtitles after handbrake has encoded the video and audio streams to MKV or MP4 with the IDX / SUB files I now have?
Bling2Ming
Enlightened

Post by Bling2Ming »

@ Nephillmator

Give this thread a read. http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... s+subtitle

You need to get the Video, Audio and IDX/SUB streams into an mkv using mkvmerge and feed that into HandBrake which should recognise the Vobsubs and give you a burn in option.
Nephilimator

Post by Nephilimator »

Bling2Ming wrote:@ Nephillmator

Give this thread a read. http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... s+subtitle

You need to get the Video, Audio and IDX/SUB streams into an mkv using mkvmerge and feed that into HandBrake which should recognise the Vobsubs and give you a burn in option.
Thank you, I searched "Bluray subtitle" but the search results were off the charts because the popularity of the two words in Handbrake's environment.
davefromcamp

despicable me

Post by davefromcamp »

I came across this thread because more and more blu rays are showing up with multiple m2ts files and struggled to combine them. Clown bd seems to work great. DVD fab will rip an mkv from the blue ray and handbrake can then compress that mkv file but sometimes the sound video playback is all messed up and you have to use clown bd.

What have people done with these BD? Disney seems notorious. I cannot get Despicable me to work out. I get the 'extra' timeline with special features. I cannot seem to back my copy up. has anyone had success with this movie? Thanks
Deleted User 11865

HandBrake understands the Blu-ray Disc structure. Open the folder above BDMV.
davefromcamp

Post by davefromcamp »

THANKS! I read somewhere it only reconized mt2s files and nothing else, I am SO MAD that I never tried that before. Talk about extra work! Its like when you are missing your keys and it turns out they were in your hand!
Deleted User 11865

davefromcamp wrote:THANKS! I read somewhere it only reconized mt2s files and nothing else, I am SO MAD that I never tried that before. Talk about extra work! Its like when you are missing your keys and it turns out they were in your hand!
It used to be true. Blu-ray support was added in HandBrake 0.9.5.