dts

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

golias
Enlightened

dts

Post by golias »

HB currently does not even see DTS tracks.

D-Vision sees them, but if you try to preserve the surround sound (instead of transcoding them into stereo AAC or MP3), you end up with silence.

Any chance of adding DTS support to HB? I don't care about transcoding, because I don't mind using VLC for playback. I have several DTS-only DVDs, and ripping them with HB would be awesome.
maurj
Enlightened

Post by maurj »

Hi golias,

I've never seen a DTS-only DVD - could you give some examples of the ones you have seen?

I don't think there's a good DTS-decoder library we could use in mediafork, but it might be possible to do DTS passthrough to an AVI.
leon

Post by leon »

This isn't about whether a DVD has 2-channel or not. It's about when a DVD has DTS, there should be an option to include it in the output container.

I'd place this request along-side the work that's being done to preserve Surround Sound... The AC3 pass thru we already have and the AAC 5.1 that's nearly complete.

I prefer DTS over AC3 over 2-channel. So given a choice, that's the order I'd choose to have included in the output container.

HB/MF has become more to me than just a way to convert my DVD's for iPod use -- it's becoming a way for me to retire my 300 disc DVD player...provided I can maintain surround sound and keep the video quality on par with the original DVD's.

We already have great flexibility with HB/MF on the video front and I'm more than satisfied with the picture quality that I can achieve. This request is to expand the flexibility on the audio front.

I think MF should still try to find a way to pass DTS through even though I'm quite certain we'll be in the same boat as for AC3 re: Apple needing to supply the necessary hooks to actually output it through the built-in TOSLink jack.

I'll add DTS to my list of things (in addition to AC3) to beat Apple up about re: features to add for us paying customers who buy OS upgrade after OS upgrade for 5 or more Mac's at a time. I ought to get at least one feature that I *truly* care about from Apple vs. half the fluff I could do without beyond what Tiger already provides. But that's a different rant. <smile>
maurj
Enlightened

Post by maurj »

Hi leon,

DTS passthru is certainly something I'd like to get working, same as we do for AC-3. I haven't really looked into it yet, but it should be possible!

You'll definitely still need a media player which will pass the DTS-encoded stream directly via optical to a DTS-savvy decoder box. I think VLC does this? The real problem is that QuickTime (and CoreAudio) are set up as a "decode/filter/output" stream, which decodes audio into raw 32-bit PCM before it gets anywhere near an output device. For encoded streams, you need to pass the stream straight to the optical out without touching it at all - and that's just not how QuickTime is set up, unfortunately.
golias
Enlightened

Post by golias »

maurj wrote:Hi golias,

I've never seen a DTS-only DVD - could you give some examples of the ones you have seen?

I don't think there's a good DTS-decoder library we could use in mediafork, but it might be possible to do DTS passthrough to an AVI.
The Japanese track of Samurai Champloo (all seven disks) is DTS-only. I have a few others.

And yes, VLC plays DTS just fine and dandy, although HB does not yet pass it through.
golias
Enlightened

Post by golias »

Although there hasn't been a lot of noise about this feature, it's still one that I would love to see if somebody can figure out how to do it.

I'm not concerned about QuickTime playback. I don't use AppleTV and I hardly ever watch stuff on my iPod.

A simple pass-through of DTS so I can play the files back on my Mac with VLC would make me overwhelmingly happy. I could finally box up my DTS disks of Stand Alone Complex, Yukikaze, Samurai Champloo, and several others. 8)