HandBrake 0.8.5b1 -- Released!

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
jbrjake
Veteran User

HandBrake 0.8.5b1 -- Released!

Post by jbrjake »

"I don't want to go on the cart! I feel fine. I... feel... happy!"

After a 14-month hiatus, a brand new development team, a project forked then unforked, and literally hundreds of revisions...

We are pleased to announce the release of HandBrake 0.8.5b1 !

This new version of HandBrake encompasses everything that was in MediaFork 0.8.0b1 and much, much, much more.

Download HandBrake 0.8.5b1
• For Mac OS X (GUI)
• For Mac OS X (CLI)
• For Linux (CLI)
• For Windows (CLI)
• For Windows (GUI)
Source

The complete change set is available and well worth a read (PDF), but here's a summary for the impatient:

• User presets (Mac)
AppleTV and PS3 support
• Anamorphic, even in QuickTime
• Surround sound (both AAC 5.1 and Dolby Pro Logic II)
• Chapter markers (QuickTime-style)
• Official support for the Windows GUI
• PPC Linux support
• High profile H.264

A number of bugs have been fixed as well, including the restoration of multiple audio tracks. Still, keep in mind that this is a beta, and no particular level of stability or usability is guaranteed; don't delete your copy of HandBrake 0.7.1 just yet.

Following the release of MediaFork 0.8.0b1, we were overwhelmed by new users. Fortunately, with them came new coders! A year ago, there were 2 developers. Now, there are over a dozen. Thanks to this happy development, HandBrake's future is full and bright. So stay tuned: a second beta of 0.8.5 will follow this one, with a number of other exciting features.
Last edited by jbrjake on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jameslicious

Post by Jameslicious »

I've been trying to download it for hours...it's just not working.

Are there any mirrors?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Jameslicious wrote:I've been trying to download it for hours...it's just not working.
Uh, I just successfully started downloading it at 17K/s...and I'm thousands of miles away from the server....just be patient.
Tobsen

Post by Tobsen »

What about setting up a torrent?
Jameslicious

Post by Jameslicious »

jbrjake wrote:
Jameslicious wrote:I've been trying to download it for hours...it's just not working.
Uh, I just successfully started downloading it at 17K/s...and I'm thousands of miles away from the server....just be patient.
Call me crazy, but I think I'm just having trouble getting through to the "download.m0k" part of the site. I can load the forum and the rest of the site just fine, but everything times out when I try to download the beta. Furthermore, when I downloaded the previous version it ran at about 1k/sec - I just figured I had a lousy connection that day, but, it seems not. I'm in Australia, if that helps.

I'll give it another day. But, that torrent idea sounds pretty good too...
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

Thank You.
simonm

Post by simonm »

I don't get it...why have you reverted back to calling it HandBrake from MediaFork along with the crappy Pineapple/Martini icon...that's related to DVD ripping because...???

Also, when downloading HandBrake 0.8.5b1 UB, the Application identifies itself as 0.8.0b1...have I got the update or did you just not update the version information?
simonm

Post by simonm »

Also, you've changed the maximum audio bit rate to just 160 kbps. Please give us 256 and 320 kbps options in the next release. Sometimes I want to rip music DVDs not just for iPod or AppleTV!
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

They changed it back because they can. Why does it matter what the icon is anyways?

And they could allow you to specify a higher bitrate than 160kbps, but that's all you would get, and all you have been able to really get in the previous builds if I remember correctly. You could select a higher bitrate, but it wouldn't actually encode higher. It's a limitation of the encoder they use, not the program itself. 80kbps per channel is plenty for AAC (stereo AC3 gives you 96kbps, but AAC is modern and more efficient codec).
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

simonm wrote:I don't get it...why have you reverted back to calling it HandBrake from MediaFork along with the crappy Pineapple/Martini icon...that's related to DVD ripping because...???

Also, when downloading HandBrake 0.8.5b1 UB, the Application identifies itself as 0.8.0b1...have I got the update or did you just not update the version information?
Take it easy there, Sparky. And please post the URL that supposedly gave you something other than 0.8.5b1, because it looks like you're the only one making this claim.
simonm

Post by simonm »

The installer file says 8.5b1 and it is the update, just that the application (use get info) still calls itlself 8.0b1. It doesn't matter.
deckeda wrote: Take it easy there, Sparky. And please post the URL that supposedly gave you something other than 0.8.5b1, because it looks like you're the only one making this claim.
bdkennedy1
Enlightened

Post by bdkennedy1 »

YAY!!!!! Thanks you guys! I've noticed it's a tad faster?
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

simonm wrote:The installer file ...
Now I think I get it. You're using something most of us here probably aren't --- the Windows version? If I'm right, the tipoff is that there isn't an installer for the Mac version.
nekogami13

Post by nekogami13 »

Uhhhm, I go to the download site and nothing happens.
No download, nothing.
nekogami13

Post by nekogami13 »

I take that back-I got a pron pop-up and requests to put cookies on my browser.
Once I denied those-my download started. It was pretty quick.
JediRory

Post by JediRory »

I am also getting errors/TCP/timeouts while trying to access the new links. No matter what version (Linksys, Mac OS, Windows CLI, Windows GUI, Source), they all don't work. Just an FYI. ;) Even the old links aren't working.

Who knows, perhaps its an issue on my side with firewalls and whatnot at work.... *Shrugs*. Just wanted to let you guys now. Really excited about the new release! :D
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

On Saturday morning, our normal download server started getting hit too hard, so titer redirected Mac downloads to another host. Unfortunately, yesterday, 15,000 downloads later, that server decided it couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't host HandBrake. So its admin redirected the download link to megaupload--thus the [Censored] pop-ups and cookies. We would never have hosted the file there. But, hey, it's better than if the link had been redirected to goatse.cx, right?

We're trying to find a better solution, but it might be awhile.
JediRory

Post by JediRory »

Ouch...that could be bad times with regards to work downloads...I do believe I will try that later on when I get home. Thanks for the heads up, boss. ;)
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Titer put together a mirror system today, for which I'm very grateful.

And dynaflash has put together some small disk images for us Mac folks, that will be quicker to download. Instead of a 15.2 meg image with the GUI, the CLI, and the API, you get to choose between two 5 meg packages: one for the GUI, one for the CLI.

I just uploaded them to the server and updated the download page and main announcement. They should be working fine.

Oh, and the GUI's disk image is 10.4-only, to save both space and the time of people on 10.3.
krs

Post by krs »

Great!
Where ca we found some documentation about h264 High Profile?

thanks
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

krs wrote:Where ca we found some documentation about h264 High Profile?
For using it in HandBrake? http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/x264Options#high
krs

Post by krs »

yeah! Thank you!

Now I can use the SharkTooh profiles[/url]
acraft

DMG Errors?

Post by acraft »

Is anyone else having problems opening the Mac GUI DMG?

I get an error: No Mountable Filesystems

I've unzipped the file with Stuffit Expander, The Unarchiver and the command line bunzip2 with the same results.

Any help appreciated.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: DMG Errors?

Post by dynaflash »

acraft wrote:Is anyone else having problems opening the Mac GUI DMG?

I get an error: No Mountable Filesystems

I've unzipped the file with Stuffit Expander, The Unarchiver and the command line bunzip2 with the same results.

Any help appreciated.
If your on panther (10.3.9) you cant open it. The GUI is not Panther compliant.

If you on Tiger, then I am not sure what the issue is.
acraft

Re: DMG Errors?

Post by acraft »

dynaflash wrote:If your on panther (10.3.9) you cant open it. The GUI is not Panther compliant.

If you on Tiger, then I am not sure what the issue is.
I'm on Tiger (10.4.9) PPC. I'll try a different machine and see what happens. I'm sure there would be many more posts if there were something wrong with the file.

UPDATE: For anyone else having this problem, the full file (15MB) linked from VersionTracker.com works fine for me.

Thanks.