Subler (like Muxo, maybe better?)

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
Northy
Enlightened

Re: Subler (like Muxo, maybe better?)

Post by Northy »

jbjoret wrote:The only thing I miss currently is a IMDB/tagChimp import function that would fill the Movie template automatically.
Personally I think that IMDB/tagChimp aren't that good and I much prefer copying the Blu-ray/DVD/HD DVD/iTunes description in :)

Just my opinion though :)
Maury Markowitz
Novice

Post by Maury Markowitz »

Someone just pointed me in the direction of Subler as a way to convert MKVs. I'm a little baffled, perhaps someone can help?

I dragged an MKV (Apollo 13) onto Subler and a dialog opened asking me what I wanted to import. It showed a video and AC3 track, as expected, with proper looking times. When I hit OK the window showed both having 0 time. Does this indicate a problem in the movie, or is this a display problem in Subler.

Anyway I then selected Save to write it to an m4v. It's been cranking for some time now, but there's no indication of the time it will take, it's a barber pole instead of a stripe. Is that expected? If so, for the 2.5 hour movie, what sort of time should I expect?

Maury
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Well yes, you just have to wait. Until I implement a progress bar you can check the size of the m4v to see how much has been written.
fcmarriott

Post by fcmarriott »

You should use the cnID tag if you want to combine files in iTunes. You will still have two separate file, but iTunes will see it as one if the cnID is the same.
Goal: to have two files in iTunes, that are presented as one, but the 720P gets played on my AppleTV while the 480p version gets copied to my ipod/iphone. I would also like to have the HD / SD image on the artwork/name so I can easily identify which movies are in HD and which aren't.

This is beautiful! I followed Nightstrm's instructions here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread. ... ost7058017. I wander out to iTunes and find the movie in question and right click on the movie and select, "Copy Address". I then paste that into Safari and find the first string of numbers. For instance, this is the URL for Valkyrie: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 5&s=143441. So, I take that 312089915 number and enter it in Subler as the cnID number for both files. And it shows up with the little HD / SD image next to it.

First HD movie that i've encoded. :D
jbjoret
Enlightened

Post by jbjoret »

I am very interested in using the cnID number. Doe the data get pulled from the iTunes store and inserted into the m4v file using Subler. Or is it just the id that you put into the file, and iTunes shows the data pulling it from its database?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

jbjoret wrote:I am very interested in using the cnID number. Doe the data get pulled from the iTunes store and inserted into the m4v file using Subler. Or is it just the id that you put into the file, and iTunes shows the data pulling it from its database?
For our purposes, the cnID only allows you to join HD/SD files together and lets the Genius functionality in newer iTunes builds work with encoded content. You have to get the cnID from the iTunes link yourself, or make something up and hope you don't duplicate something else.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

So, I'm adding a tagChimp search feature, as it was easy enough to do.
I would like some feedback on how you use tagChimp, especially for tv shows.

Here's a test build with what I have done so far: http://www.mediafire.com/?indyythjzgq
jbjoret
Enlightened

Post by jbjoret »

I just finished my version :-D. Maybe it was easy enough, but it took me more than a day to do it and it is not as good and complete as yours. I like the way you made the dropdown to chose beetween TV Shows, Movies, tagChimp IDs etc ... I only have one difficulty with this way of using TagChimp: When you search, usually you get many results, some of the tags are good some others are kind of unusable (that is why until today I was using the lookup only after searching though the tagChimp page instead of using the search). Maybe reducing the fontsize from the annotation/tag panel and displaying the complete description would help to make a choice. Nice work !
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

whoa, nice ritsuka. just tested svn 322. very nice. looks like you are not pulling artwork yet. This is awesome though.

BTW. Subler really needs a new name now ;)
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

dynaflash wrote:BTW. Subler really needs a new name now ;)
Tagler?

I have to say that you are doing a great job Ritsuka :D
Steve56

Post by Steve56 »

Thanks for providing a neat tool, Ritsuka!

I just tried to mux srt subtitles to my handbrake encoded video (m4v consisting of h.264,ac-3). The video is encoded in 1600 x 870 px resolution (which is probably not common, but perfectly suited for my 20" 4:3 display) 8) . I've set the HD-tag in Subler's save dialog and output as video (m4v).

Problem is, when I open the output movie in QuickTime X or 7.6.x I see the video as random pixels and distorted blocks only.

Is there maybe a problem with muxing video with custom resolutions (mod-16), or something?

Thanks,

Steve56
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

And if you open the movie in QuickTime before using subler were it still the same?
Steve56

Post by Steve56 »

Yes, the HandBrake encoded m4v video looks fine in QuickTime X and 7.63. BTW, I used the latest SVN HandBrake (svn3036 x86_64). Maybe I'll encode a small preview clip in HandBrake and upload it to my DropBox.
Steve56

Post by Steve56 »

I've now uploaded a short preview clip out of HandBrake:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/463632/subler_t ... w_temp.m4v

After processing in Subler the resulting video shows up garbled
at the beginning if played in QuickTime X or VLC

In QuickTime 7 it won't play at all, just shows green screen,
and takes QuickTime near crashing.

Sorry for the explicit audio track, but that was the only
suitable scene of the selectable HandBrake preview points.
:roll:
Steve56

Post by Steve56 »

Problem solved. I did save the HandBrake encode out of QuickTime 7 without reencoding, put the resulting .mov in Subler and the final video is now playing properly.

I'm glad, finally getting soft-subtitles to work.

Thanks again, Ritsuka.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

I can't reproduce it.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Oh well it's out. TV Show search is still unusable but who cares :lol:
MacFly

Post by MacFly »

MERCI
LinBrake
Experienced

Post by LinBrake »

I decided to give converting something with subtitles another try since Subler is now at such an advanced stage of development and even Handbrake has basic SRT support.

Does anyone have a workflow that would allow the conversion of an MKV with SubStation Alpha subtitles to M4V with Soft or Burned Subtitles using Handbrake and Subler?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Extract the SSA subs using mkvtoolnix, convert using Jubler then add to Handbrake?
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

Maybe I'm missing something, but I just tagged a season of a TV show and the search went flawlessly. This program is fantastic. Thanks a bundle. This just jumped over MetaX as my #1 tagger. Still has a few minor deficiencies, but overall a solid, basic, easy-to-use approach to tagging. Thanks.

A donation will be made when I get home tonight. I assume dollars is OK? (can you tell I picked up a copy of MTR 4.0 a little while ago? :lol: )
athom

Post by athom »

Subler is amazing. I love using it. It's GUI is perfectly native to OS X. I love how you can add/modify tracks in an efficient way. I was actually looking for like 2 years for something like this. I heard of command-line tools, but they never worked for me.

I also love the way it lets you add soft subtitles to mp4/m4v files (.srt), it works awesome.

But, there is my problem, just a second ago I noticed that Front Row doesn't play videos with that track enabled by default. It only shows a black screen with audio. I have searched some information about this on the internet, it is a known problem. It is super annoying...

If anyone has a (third party) solution for this, without modifying my files (since there's nothing wrong with them, iTunes, QuickTime X, QuickTime 7 Pro, VLC and my iPhone play them flawlessly), I would appreciate it. It's a pity Front Row lacks regarding this...

Thanks...
MacFly

Post by MacFly »

Front Row is the problem, and Apple don"t care about it
Same about playing AC3 in an MP4 file.
Called apple care a year ago, response: get an AppleTV. What a joke !

Subler is a really nice tool, it saved some of my older MP4 rips ;-)

Request for the author:
- make it possible to reorder the tracks
- add the category tag please (searchable in iTunes)
- multiple artworks like in iTunes ? coud this be done ?

- if you find some time one day, a progress bar on saving file ;-)

TY Ritsuka for this tool
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Just a note: It is my humble opinion that given the new Subler updates ( including searching TagChimp, and some others ) Subler is by far the best tagger / mp4 muxer for the mac platform to be found. Given the latest "Send to iTunes" option, etc. it is now a part of my official HandBrake > <tagger> > iTunes workflow. Major kudos to ritsuka ... outstanding!
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

It's awesome. One question (before Ritsuka's ego gets so large he insists on being called Jobs Junior) - Why is it so much faster than MetaX when it tags the m4v? It blows MetaX out of the water (1 minute or more for metaX versus 3-5 seconds for Subler)!