HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
P_Jamula

Post by P_Jamula »

Hi all:
i just started with handbrake and need to have excellent quality copies of my DVD collection to my NAS for viewing on my large LED TV.
i also am not too familiar with all the technical jargon of making high defination good quality copies. i need to make copies that will play as cleanly as the original DVD on my 1080p TV. Size of files and the time to encode/copy is not an issue as i have a 8TB Nas and a i7-975 processor with 12GB of memory with a Nvidia GE-295 video card.
Could someone please provide me with the detailed parameters for copying the DVD's to NAS at the High Defination that i need.
thanks for the help...
datapotomus

Re: Newbie

Post by datapotomus »

HAHAHAHA I love this question. There is no answer to this, "i need to make copies that will play as cleanly as the original DVD". This is impossible, considering the mere fact that you are transcoding causes a reduction in quality.

That being said thisi is what I have seen on the boards in terms of a constant quality settings.
ref=2:mixed-refs=1:bframes=3:b-pyramid=1:weightb=1:analyse=all:8x8dct=1:me=umh:subq=7:b-adapt=2
If you are going to use this you can set your Constant quality slider to about 65. Even then this is kind of high(or low depending on your eyes :) ).

The problem is that every person's eyes are like snowflakes. They are all different in terms of what acceptable quality is. One person's settings are gold to them while to others it looks like crap. You really have to learn, and play to see what is good for you. Like my settings below are totally different from the ones that a lot of others use.

b-adapt=1:deblock=-1,-1:no-fast-pskip=1:trellis=2:8x8dct=1:mixed-refs=1:ref=3:bframes=5:subq=7:me=hex:weightb=1:direct=auto:psy-rd=1.0,1.0:b-pyramid=1
However, mine is designed for 500kbps dvd copy. Some would find that bitrate unacceptable. It is really up to you.
P_Jamula

Post by P_Jamula »

datapotomus wrote:However, mine is designed for 500kbps dvd copy. Some would find that bitrate unacceptable. It is really up to you.
Thanks for the response....
is 500kbps supposed to be an adequate rate or is it lower or higher than the norm?? and if it is lower than what is the "acceptable" or better rate? please understand that i am ignorant about all the terms used to encode....
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Before you go crazy, try the High Profile preset. From there make tradeoffs (higher quality, faster encoding time, or smaller files) based on the results.

500kbps is pretty low for SD video; some people want to take a very long time to encode so they can get very small files.
P_Jamula

Post by P_Jamula »

mduell wrote:Before you go crazy, try the High Profile preset. From there make tradeoffs (higher quality, faster encoding time, or smaller files) based on the results.

500kbps is pretty low for SD video; some people want to take a very long time to encode so they can get very small files.
Thanks for educating me....
my only criterea is having near DVD quality HD 1080p size output. the encode time and file size are not any issues with me and i am not considering them.
with that said, once again what would be the best quality settings i should use ...... anyone please......
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

P_Jamula wrote:my only criterea is having near DVD quality HD 1080p size output. the encode time and file size are not any issues with me and i am not considering them.
with that said, once again what would be the best quality settings i should use ...... anyone please......
High Profile preset. Work from there.
P_Jamula

Post by P_Jamula »

hmmm... okie dokie... thanks....
creamyhorror
Enlightened

Post by creamyhorror »

Since you have so much space, why bother transcoding? Just rip the ISOs from the DVD for full, untouched playback quality.
P_Jamula

Post by P_Jamula »

creamyhorror wrote:Since you have so much space, why bother transcoding? Just rip the ISOs from the DVD for full, untouched playback quality.
Great idea... thanks...