Using MacTheRipper with HB - A Mini Tutorial

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Using MacTheRipper with HB - A Mini Tutorial

Post by cvk_b »

Using MacTheRipper with HB - Getting Successful Results

[step 1]
Use MTR 3.0 r14d* or latest for new releases.
[step 2] Use Full Disc Extraction. Did the ARccOS warning display?
  • NO: Use Full Disc Extraction.
    YES: Click Mode. Use pull-down Main Feature Extraction. But first, uncheck all but top 1 or 2 audio tracks and subtitles.
[step 3] Use HandBrake GUI or HandBrakeCLI (recommended).

I have no knowledge of zero cells. I have never used DTOX. I only use Macs. I have no problems.
Also, because vobs are large files, I run fsck at least once a week. Open terminal and run 'man fsck' for more info.

*NOTE: MTR 2.6.6 is often preferred for older releases.

Tutorial by cvk_b
Last edited by cvk_b on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

@cvk_b: what a simple, yet perfect tutorial. thank you :-) how many DVDs have you backed up? and have you truly NEVER, not once had an audio hiccup or drop?
baggss

Re: Using MTR with HB - A Mini Tutorial

Post by baggss »

cvk_b wrote:[step 1][/b] Use MTR 3.0 r14d. I never encode directly from disc, ever.
Why? I've done this both ways myself and have never seen a big enough speed improvement in ripping to compel me to add an extra step to the process.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

i do not like the idea to allow handbrake to do the DVD ripping itself at all. think about it this way:

1.how long does it take to rip an entire DVD in MTR?
about 15-30 mins
2.how long does it take handbreak to rip an entire DVD?
about 1.5-3 hours

how long do you think your optical drive is going to last if you rip/encode on the fly, if handbrake had some sort of buffer, where it could rip ahead of the encode, then leave the optical drive alone for the remainder of the encode... then i would consider it.

unfortunately this is not the case, so as long as your machine is encoding, your optical drive is also running...

the second reason i can think of is WORKFLOW, for example, i like to rip 4-5 DVDs at a time to my HD using MTR, then queuing up the jobs in HB so that my machine can work unattended while i am away from the computer. i dont know how much you would get done by requiring manual interaction in between every single disk.

thats just two reasons i could think of off the top of my head while at work... im sure i can come up with a few other good reasons.

:D
baggss

Post by baggss »

A-Optical drives are cheap. I can get a Pioneer DVDRW D2 drive for $35. BTW, I bought 2 of these and put them in external cases.

B-Why add the extra 15 to 20 min to the process?

C-I have 4 DVD drives, so I can rip 4 DVDs at once.

D-Rip time depends on processing power. I can rip an average move, 2 pass, in 45 to 50 Min directly from the DVD.

E-I've been ripping on my the internal drive for over a year now. It's lasted this long, but if it fails see A.

F-Workflow is the ONLY reason I can agree with you on. My wife does this, but only because she doesn't want the extra DVD drives cluttering up her somewhat limited desk space.

G-This is all purely subjective. I am simply curious as to why the OP stressed that he NEVER EVRER ripped form the DVD. A standard response to this question is that "It is faster" which I have found to be untrue, at least on my machine(s).
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

One thing I certainly think we can agree on (and is infinitely verifiable on my end) is the MTR Main Feature rips have an extremely high fault rate for HB. Period.

It is my practice to do Full Disk rips with MTR first, but that is personal preference. If you rip with HB right from the source dvd, you are effectively doing the same thing as long as HB can "ignore :)" whatever advanced copy protection schemes the dvd may have to offer. So, I do not see any harm in either method, from an encoding viewpoint.

To be plain: in my extensive experience with MTR Main feature rips, I have found an extremely high fault rate. Whether right from dvd or Full Disk rip with MTR, you want to give HB the whole disk, not just main feature.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

have you truly NEVER, not once had an audio hiccup or drop?

Only with dirty/scratched discs. Cleaned/Buffed = fixed.

I really don't have a stand against burning from the drive… I just like to keep my drive (my only one - Apple OEM) free for other uses. Certain copy protected discs would probably crash HB encoding from the optical drive anyway.
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

My experience here is quite limited (less than 10 DVDs!) but they've all been MTR Main Feature rips --- ARccOS or not --- with HB (GUI) success. Nevertheless I'll keep the full-rip recommendation in mind.

Also, don't know if it matters but I always un-check the subtitles and foreign languages as well. I see cvk_b recommends this as well. Guess I made a lucky decision here too.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

deckeda wrote:Also, don't know if it matters but I always un-check the subtitles and foreign languages as well.
No need for them :)
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

I use MTR, but only so I can set HB to run all day and night with different tv series and films and I don't have to go and insert/remove discs every few hours. I just find it handy.

ps - nice tutorial
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

It may also be worthy to note here that some users prefer MTR 2.6.6 if the disc in question has no advanced protection. There seems to be less problems with it.
cdaiger

Post by cdaiger »

I have completely stopped using Main Feature MTR extraction. Everytime I have had an audio drop, it was with a MF rip. Something must be happening when mtr rebuilds the vobs.

I have not had an audio drop since.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

cdaiger wrote:I have completely stopped using Main Feature MTR extraction. Everytime I have had an audio drop, it was with a MF rip. Something must be happening when mtr rebuilds the vobs.

I have not had an audio drop since.

I can verify this from my own experience. Full Disk rip with mtr has yielded 0 audio drops with HB for all that I have done.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

I have seen some MTR issues come up lately, so I am bumping this. After all, I took the time to do all the purdy colors :)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

O why not, Lets make it a sticky
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

Updated: added note about 2.6.6 use.