Last subtitle sticking on Apple TV

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
dannys1

Last subtitle sticking on Apple TV

Post by dannys1 »

Hi guys,

Weird problem with Inglorious on ATV.

First of all I had to changed all the German alphabet characters in the subtitle file, otherwise it displayed gibberish on words like Fuher

But the strange thing is the last subtitle on the movie sticks on screen all the way through the end. Fortunately this comes right at the last scene, but id like to fix it if possible. I tried adding another "blank" subtitle to the subtitle file to try and terminate the last one and have the ATV move on but that didnt work.

Any idea how I can get it to remove the last subtitle after the speech has happened (I already have to select English at the beginning to get the forced subs)

Thanks
dannys1

Re: Last subtitle sticking on Apple TV

Post by dannys1 »

No one got any input on this - why is the ATV shutting the last subtitle off?

The SRT reads..

02:23:38,026 --> 02:23:39,901
I don't know what's going on.
That does not belong in my movie!

02:26:25,401 --> 02:26:27,861
These are the American lines, Colonel sir.

That last line sticks on the TV for the rest of the film, why doesn't it terminate.

I tried adding

02:26:27,862 --> 02:26:27,865

After it, but it makes no difference. Is there something i can fit into the SRT for the subtitle to terminate or is it a bug within handbrake (maybe fixed in one of the later SVNs after 0.9.4?)
downinitjr

Post by downinitjr »

As far as I know this is an AppleTV bug. What I do is just add a blank line at the end of the .srt. This does work. You will of course have to remux the edited .srt into the file, and resync the file to the AppleTV. Even if your streaming.
dannys1

Post by dannys1 »

I did add a blank line but unfortunatly that didnt work either.

However what did work was going to settings, selecting subtitle language as english and setting closed captions as "high"

Now it works. Of course if there are subtitles on any tracks it will automatically start playing the english ones - however I only have subtitles on movies that need them...none of my english films have subtitles this means any forced subtitles such as in The Godfather will now come on automatically without me having to select them and nothing will get stuck anymore at the end, so its a winner.

Now if only perian would support the Crystal 1080p card - we'll be laughing with full HD supports in Apples beautiful native menu!
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

I've seen this on a few of the encodes I've done recently when using the closed caption track to generate soft subtitles. The last subtitle will stay on the screen throughout the remainder of the movie. This, however, appears to be an AppleTV bug as the problem does not appear when playing the file in iTunes with the subtitle track enabled.

Thankfully, I really only use this track for some of the discs I do with foreign audio tracks (recently, the new Miyazaki DVD releases), so it doesn't bother me too much... but I do hope Apple fixes the problem in the next AppleTV software release.