iPhone (Presets) Default Video Size

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
srm

iPhone (Presets) Default Video Size

Post by srm »

I'm using 0.9.4, Windows XP. Using the default presets for the iPhone. When I add a video (file or folder) the defaults for video size are 480 x 208. If I click on another preset, then select the iPhone defaults again, it then goes to a video size of 480 x 0.

I then created my own profile using 480 x 320 and set it as my default. I run Handbrake, select my video, and my custom video size is 480 x 208. I then select another profile and then re-select my default profile and it goes back to 480 x 320.

I thought the size for iPhone was 480 x 320? Should it be 480 x 320, 480 x 0, or 480 x 208 and what should be the default setting for the iPhone? :?:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shawn
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: iPhone (Presets) Default Video Size

Post by s55 »

The presets are not enabling Keep Aspect Ratio. If you check that, it'll correctly set the Height.
You don't have to do this for the built-ins. "0" doesn't get passed through to the CLI so it'll automatically calculate the correct height.

You should be careful for your own presets are you could squash your video if Keep AR is not checked.
srm

Post by srm »

Thanks. The only reason I created a new default was I thought the height wasn't being set correctly for the iPhone.

So for the iPhone default should I just use it and know that it will work or check keep aspect ratio for the iPhone default preset? If I understand what you are saying, either option seems to have the same results. I have no need to create a default setting if the iPhone one will work.

Should the setting be 480 x 320 for an iPhone?

Thank you.

Shawn
srm

Post by srm »

Forgot to ask one item. Assuming I do not check Keep Aspect Ratio for the iPhone default, since the default iPhone preset does change from 480 x 208 to 480 x 0, should I be sure the setting is 480 x 0 before I start the conversion?

It seems by checking Keep Aspect Ratio for the default iPhone setting, it does make it 480 x 208 but as you noted, it does not keep the setting saved.

Thanks again.

Shawn
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Should the setting be 480 x 320 for an iPhone?
No. Your video sources will have different aspect rations so you want to let HB take care of the height value for you. Always setting it to 320 will squish/stretch video that isn't the same ratio as the screen.

Just leave it at 0 or check keep ar which will auto calculate it.
srm

Post by srm »

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate your time and feedback :mrgreen:
creamyhorror
Enlightened

Post by creamyhorror »

For videos that are significantly wider than the iPhone's AR, I like to encode at a higher resolution and zoom the video on the iPhone to fill the screen. Makes quite a bit of difference for viewing (in particular, subtitles are easier to read). Plus I can switch to full video (widescreen) view if I want.