Audio saturates !

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
whateverman

Audio saturates !

Post by whateverman »

I encoded a DV file to DVD and it looks and sounds great. However, if I try to rip that DVD VIDEO_TS file with Handbrake, the audio saturates heavily. I never have that problem with commercial DVD's though. Any ideas ?

Thanks.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

Are you encoding the audio at 48 khz?
whateverman

Post by whateverman »

No, 44100 Hz...

I actually just tried 48000 but it makes no difference... :(
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

Is the audio on the DVD PCM or AC3?
whateverman

Post by whateverman »

It uses codec A52 (which if I'm not mistaken is linked to AC3) ...

I converted from DV to DVD using VisualHub, which doesn't let me choose the audio codec unfortunately...

update: according to VisualHub's info menu, the audio codec used is "Uncompressed Little Endian" at 48000 Hz...
whateverman

Post by whateverman »

I partly solved my own problem:

Encoding using AC-3 instead of MP3 works flawlessly. :)

I'd still like to be able to encode using mp3 though without having to lower the original file's volume to 25%...

Any thoughts on this ?? Developers ! :)
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

The available audio codec you encode to depends upon the container you choose from the File Format and then Codecs popups.

Only the sampling rate and bitrate are optionally editable --- and that should be true for HB/VisualHub etc.
whateverman

Post by whateverman »

Well, I wish VisualHub allowed me to choose the audio codec when encoding from DV to DVD but it doesn't.

I still find odd that Handbrake saturates the audio if I select the mp3 codec, and doesn't when I select AC-3 (at least only in the case of a DV-to-DVD file so far)