apple tv not filling screen

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
nicpec

apple tv not filling screen

Post by nicpec »

I have seinfeld dvds im ripping to itunes to watch on apple tv on my 42" sony. When i watch the dvd, the whole screen is filled, when I burn with the apple tv preset I get bars on the sides. How do i adjust so that the burned version fills the whole screen like the dvd version does. THanks.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: apple tv not filling screen

Post by nightstrm »

Moved to more appropriate section...

Your DVD player or the TV is apply some sort of stretch mode to the image; you need to do the same for the AppleTV signal. The AppleTV does not have any stretch modes built-in, so you're going to have to hope that your TV can do this for HD signals.

You could have Handbrake custom crop the image to fill a 16x9 screen, but I think you'll end up with a lot of chopped off heads.
Chris_BBR
Novice

Post by Chris_BBR »

Already discussed here: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9901

Cheers, Chris
nicpec

Post by nicpec »

stretch option on the tv's remote did the trick. Thanks.
sdm
Bright Spark User

Post by sdm »

why would you want to do this?
If the video was intended to be 4:3, stretching it to 16:9 will distort the image.
Black bars are better than fat heads...

--sdm.
Chris_BBR
Novice

Post by Chris_BBR »

sdm wrote:why would you want to do this?
Because 720x576 can equally be 4:3 or 16:9. Sometimes the movie doesn't carry information as to which aspect ratio should be used (e.g. my old Sky satellite box outputs both indiscriminately) and one has to adjust the aspect ratio from the TV remote, as nicpec found.

However, if HandBrake isn't told what aspect ratio the 720x576 output should be, then it'll encode a 16:9 movie as 4:3. AppleTV doesn't have a 'stretch' button to play that output 'correctly', and my TV at least can't adjust the ATV's HDMI feed in the same way that it can with broadcast TV or a scart feed, hence the OP's problem, and my solution on the other thread of telling HB to use custom anamorphic.

Cheers, Chris
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Chris_BBR wrote:Because 720x576 can equally be 4:3 or 16:9. Sometimes the movie doesn't carry information as to which aspect ratio should be used (e.g. my old Sky satellite box outputs both indiscriminately) and one has to adjust the aspect ratio from the TV remote, as nicpec found.
nicpec is encoding DVDs. DVDs carry aspect ratio information - if HandBrake encodes the DVD as 4:3, that's because the DVD is 4:3.
sdm
Bright Spark User

Post by sdm »

Chris_BBR wrote:
sdm wrote:why would you want to do this?
Because 720x576 can equally be 4:3 or 16:9. Sometimes the movie doesn't carry information as to which aspect ratio should be used (e.g. my old Sky satellite box outputs both indiscriminately) and one has to adjust the aspect ratio from the TV remote, as nicpec found.

However, if HandBrake isn't told what aspect ratio the 720x576 output should be, then it'll encode a 16:9 movie as 4:3. AppleTV doesn't have a 'stretch' button to play that output 'correctly', and my TV at least can't adjust the ATV's HDMI feed in the same way that it can with broadcast TV or a scart feed, hence the OP's problem, and my solution on the other thread of telling HB to use custom anamorphic.

Cheers, Chris
okay, but in the case of the OP, afaik Seinfeld dvds are 4:3 and Handbrake would know that I'd say.
--sdm.
http://www.shiftstudio.ca
Chris_BBR
Novice

Post by Chris_BBR »

You may well be right. But the OP wanted to stretch their ATV output, and we gave them various means of achieving that.

Cheers, Chris