Apple's encoding method

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Tiesto

Apple's encoding method

Post by Tiesto »

Does anyone know what software Apple uses to encode the video in iTunes? Also, are the standard definition videos all encoded at a 1500 kbps data rate? Or does it vary from video to video? I'm just kind of curious as to how Apple does their encoding.
bxlr8ed

Re: Apple's encoding method

Post by bxlr8ed »

I am curious about this as well. I have been trying to figure out a workflow to begin archiving as I have heard of others doing. I do not get own apple tv but am coming closer to buying one. I would really like to figure out how to set up a home media server.
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Apple's encoding method

Post by rhester »

For SD encoding, they use a modified Ateme encoder at 1500kbps ABR with custom zoning from direct digital sources (read: not DVD - much, MUCH higher resolution and bitrate) and do fixed-resolution anamorphic encodes.

Apple's encoding is lowest-common-denominator - they cannot go beyond the specs of the *original* 5G iPod. HandBrake is capable of easily generating content compatible with any specific model iPod (or alternately, anything newer than a 5G) providing vastly superior quality while maintaining compatibility. However, as with most things, the better the source, the better the result...and you will never come anywhere near the quality of Apple's sources, even with Blu-ray.

Rodney