Can't choose from all available DVD audio tracks

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
simonx314

Can't choose from all available DVD audio tracks

Post by simonx314 »

I am converting my Batman Animated Series DVDs to iPhone optimized mp4 files. Some episodes have audio commentary and I wish to include it as a secondary audio track. I was able to successfully encode an mp4 with both english and commentary tracks by importing a VOB file for that episode. I am able to choose either audio track on my iPhone and it's awesome. This episode was entirely contained on it's own VOB file, and handbrake recognized the commentary track.

My problem is all the other episodes with commentary start in the middle of a VOB and end in the next one. If I import the first VOB Handbrake doesn't detect the commentary. If I import the next VOB, Handbrake detects the commentary because the stream begins with both tracks. If I import the entire VIDEO_TS folder Handbrake only shows the audio track shared by all titles (the english track, not the commentary because only two titles have commentary).

I'm not sure if the current iteration of Handbrake is designed to handle this specific problem, but I was wondering if any one had any suggestions. Is there a good tool which can extract this particular title spanning two VOB files with both audio tracks intact? Can I split the VOB files around this title and rejoin them into one VOB file to send to handbrake? My end goal is to have a mp4 on my iPhone where I can select either audio track. Mac tools are preferred but Windows works too. Thanks.
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Can't choose from all available DVD audio tracks

Post by rhester »

I am confused as to why you are working directly with the VOBs and not the source DVD, from which chapters and other important data are derived from the IFO files.

Rodney
simonx314

Post by simonx314 »

When I load the whole DVD into Handbrake it doesn't detect the audio commentary track. It only shows up when I load a VOB which begins with the commentary episode.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Can you show the output from a title scan? Even if the commentary track doesn't "start" until halfway through the title (odd in and of itself), it should still appear.

Rodney
simonx314

Post by simonx314 »

The audio commentary doens't start half way through the title, it starts half way through the VOB (the title spans two VOBs).

I have tried three ways of importing the DVD. I can import the entire VIDEO_TS folder and select title 14. I only see one audio track.

This batman episode starts half way through VTS_1_06.vob, if I open that I only see english and 2 other foreign language tracks, not the fourth commentary track I am looking for. I assume this is because handbrake is only detecting the tracks present at the very start of the stream (a previous episode which does not contain commentary).

The first half of VTS_1_07.vob contains the rest of the episode. Using this file as a source does show the 4th commentary track, again I assume because handbrake detects the tracks present at the start of the VOB stream.

I need to somehow extract title 14 from VTS_1_06 and VTS_1_07 with the audio commentary track intact.