Add scrollbars for small windows

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

whittaker007

Add scrollbars for small windows

Post by whittaker007 »

Please please please add scrollbars if Handbrake is running in a window under 1024x768 instead of refusing to run. Surely that would be so simple to do and save those of us with media centre PCs and netbooks from going crazy!

Thanks,

Scott
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Add scrollbars for small windows

Post by TedJ »

I don't know anyone who would even attempt to encode video on a netbook...
whittaker007

Post by whittaker007 »

I can. But I'm not. I'm running a reasonably well specced HTPC with the video output resolution set to match my TV so I get the best quality output I can. Which is great, except I can't run HandBrake on it without changing my resolution, running Handbrake, then changing the resolution back afterwards. It's really annoying.

Seriously, how hard is it to add scrollbars? My guess is about 3 lines of code.
whittaker007

Post by whittaker007 »

Failing that does anybody know if you can run it inside a VNC session on Windows with the VNC screen resolution higher than the actual monitor resolution? Or run it inside some other container that is capable of adding scrollbars and tricking HB into running?

Or how about turning off the preset side panel by default - that takes up at least 100 pixels of width and is not needed to be present all the time?

Or how about making a stripped down mini gui used to browse Titles and Chapters and simply add them to the queue with a preset, then starting the queue batch? That way once you've made your presets you don't need to tweak all the config options?

Of course by far the easiest solution for everyone is just to add scrollbars. Please add scrollbars. :(
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

HandBrake will not support low resolution systems.
whittaker007

Post by whittaker007 »

Lame :cry:
ccjensen

Post by ccjensen »

by far the easiest solution, because it is an option that exists right NOW, is to use the CLI tool if you need to remotely start a handbrake encoding :)
HaddenIV

Post by HaddenIV »

TedJ wrote:I don't know anyone who would even attempt to encode video on a netbook...

Lol I was encoding on a netbook yesterday and once I read up and figure out where I was going wrong I will continue to encode on a netbook today.
whittaker007 wrote:Seriously, how hard is it to add scrollbars? My guess is about 3 lines of code.
Actually it already supports scroll bars, most programs under windows do by default. What they actually need to do would be to change the popup message so that it doesnt kill the program if the screen resolution isnt high enough and just warn people about their screen resolution. Then if someones screen resolution isnt high enough then once they maxamize the program it gets scroll bars automatically. They would be removing a few lines of code not adding any...

BTW, hooking up my ultra portable to a real monitor for 30 seconds while I loaded the program worked to bypass that obnoxious piece of code and using it with scroll bars really wasnt bad. I say leave it on the user if they want to deal with scroll bars or not, let them know that their resolution is below the minium recomended resolution but dont make screen resolution a requirement for a GUI
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Encoding videos on a netbook makes baby Jesus cry. :(
HaddenIV

Post by HaddenIV »

encoding on a notebook may make baby Jesus cry, but carrying a desktop around the world is no better, its impractical for some to own a desktop at all. We choose the inconvenience that is less inconvenient and go with that. That being said why not remove the block on lower resolutions and let people scroll around to find the options that they want