How-To: Automate DVD & Blu-Ray (Backup, Encoding & Tagging)

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mac.jedi
Enlightened

Re: How-To: Automate DVD & Blu-Ray (Backup, Encoding & Tagging)

Post by mac.jedi »

Sausage wrote:First of all, Mac.Jedi - fantastic work, thank you very much for putting all the work into this as well as supporting. Quick question about presets since the Handbrake documentation hasn't been updated yet for 0.9.4. If I want to continue using the Universal preset in conjunction with this work flow would I simply ad " --preset="Universal" " into the Custom DVD Setting within the Batch Rip - Batch Encode Automator workflow?

Running a test encode now with this setting and it appear to be running but thought I would just double check. Thanks and cheers!
Hi Sausage,

The default setting already uses the universal preset, so you probably don't need to make any changes. If you want to customize the DVD setting you'd add your settings to the custom field.

Thanks, mac.jedi
mac.jedi
Enlightened

Post by mac.jedi »

möp wrote:To change the preferred audio language:

Open this file with a text editor (Text Edit, Text Wrangler...)

Code: Select all

~/Library/Automator/Batch Encode.action/Contents/Resources/batchEncode.sh
and change on Line 60:

# SET PREFERRED AUDIO LANGUAGE
audioLanguage="Deutsch" # set to English, Espanol, Francais, etc.
save file,
should work...
Thanks for helping with this one!!!!!! You're the best!

mac.jedi
mac.jedi
Enlightened

Post by mac.jedi »

RedJeep0 wrote:Can I string together the encode, rename and tagging into one automation sequence? My guess is probably not, because of the input required to identify the title of the movie.
Hi RedJeep0,

The process is pretty automated, but for auto-tagging in the Batch Encode action, you will need to rename before encoding. Note that this will only work for movies.
RedJeep0 wrote:I have a new mac with a core 2 duo, and I wanted to use 64bit processing, but I haven't figured out a solution to this.
It looks like you are doing things correctly, and I've not seen any issues. My advice when troubleshooting this, is to take it slow and make sure you are selecting the correct version of Fairmount in the action pane. Also make sure that VLC is in the Applications folder and not inside any subfolder.
RedJeep0 wrote:It's not perfect, though, and I wonder if there is an easy solution to this: Today I ripped Bottle Rocket (totally automated, so sweet), and The Game, and a couple of other movies. However, both Bottle Rocket and The Game encoded some of the segments in french (I think...I don't speak french, but it sounds french), and some in English. I think I need to re-rip them, and maybe I need to edit the CLI somehow? It's surprising to me that some of the VOB files are in english and some in french. I think I've ripped about 15 movies so far, and I haven't watched/listened to all of them, so I don't know how many times this occurred, but the bits of the other movies that I have watched have been fine.
I haven't had any experience with these discs, but it is possible the default/first English audio track is not the main movie soundtrack. Unfortunately, this is not an exact science as it relies on the information it can get from the disc and will make assumptions based that info. For these, you may have to manually encode.
RedJeep0 wrote:Finally, do you have a solution for the rating? I'm wondering if I should just stick with MetaX for tagging, to get all the fields.
Unfortunately, I do not. Until themoviedb.org includes ratings, there is little that can be done in the actions. I don't really find them useful for me, so I don't feel like I'm really missing anything. As soon as they are available, I'll definitely include them as part of the tagging.

Thanks, mac.jedi
RedJeep0

Post by RedJeep0 »

mac.jedi wrote:
RedJeep0 wrote:I have a new mac with a core 2 duo, and I wanted to use 64bit processing, but I haven't figured out a solution to this.
It looks like you are doing things correctly, and I've not seen any issues. My advice when troubleshooting this, is to take it slow and make sure you are selecting the correct version of Fairmount in the action pane. Also make sure that VLC is in the Applications folder and not inside any subfolder.
Let me try and rephrase what I said, because I'm not sure it was clear. I have the new 64 bit CLI for Handbrake, and that works. But the newest VLC says on their website that they do not support 64 bit. I tried the prior version of VLC 1.02, which did have 64 bit version, and used that along with the 64 bit FairMount, but the process seemed to fail every time I ran it.
When I used the current version of VLC and the 64 bit Fairmount, it also failed.
But, when I used current VLC and 32 bit Fairmount, it works like a charm.
Can you or someone else advise me how to use 64 bit? I didn't uninstall the 32bit versions, but I did move them out of the applications folder, and I made sure I was pointing the batch rip service to the correct applications.
mac.jedi wrote:
RedJeep0 wrote:It's not perfect, though, and I wonder if there is an easy solution to this: Today I ripped Bottle Rocket (totally automated, so sweet), and The Game, and a couple of other movies. However, both Bottle Rocket and The Game encoded some of the segments in french (I think...I don't speak french, but it sounds french), and some in English. I think I need to re-rip them, and maybe I need to edit the CLI somehow? It's surprising to me that some of the VOB files are in english and some in french. I think I've ripped about 15 movies so far, and I haven't watched/listened to all of them, so I don't know how many times this occurred, but the bits of the other movies that I have watched have been fine.
I haven't had any experience with these discs, but it is possible the default/first English audio track is not the main movie soundtrack. Unfortunately, this is not an exact science as it relies on the information it can get from the disc and will make assumptions based that info. For these, you may have to manually encode.
Yeah, I hope no one spent a lot of time figuring this out. As it turns out, even though French or some director's commentary is on the VOB file, when Handbrake encodes it, they all seem to have english throughout the movie.

Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix quotes
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

This is only somewhat related but hoping someone can still help. I have attached a external DVD drive via USB to my MB to hopefully be able to rip two DVD's at once. When I pop in the first disc (in either drive, internal or external) everything is fine, Dispatcher pops up and movie starts to rip in Fairmount. When I pop in the second disc (again, internal or external) Fairmount automatically mounts the disc and adds it to its queue. Problem is that every second disc I pop in stops ripping at 10MB and will go no further. Even after the first disc is finished it will not continue.

Since Fairmount is automatically mounting the second disc Dispatcher never pops up and I can't manually force Dispatcher to pop up either. Thoughts?
möp

Post by möp »

mac.jedi wrote:
möp wrote:To change the preferred audio language:

Open this file with a text editor (Text Edit, Text Wrangler...)

~/Library/Automator/Batch Encode.action/Contents/Resources/batchEncode.sh
and change on Line 60:

# SET PREFERRED AUDIO LANGUAGE
audioLanguage="Deutsch" # set to English, Espanol, Francais, etc.
save file,
should work...
Thanks for helping with this one!!!!!! You're the best!

mac.jedi
Had the same problem until I looked under the hood of your encoding action, glad I could help...
maybe there are some other lines to change, but as far as I tested my output files now include the german audio.

Big props go to you for creating this superb automator actions and scripts, you're the best - three thumbs up!

möp
swemattias

Post by swemattias »

I am trying to add Custom Settings to my workflow and what I can see handbrakeCLI doesn't care about what I put in the text-box. (oh yes I have marked "Use custom 720p setting").
After this I have added the commands to every text-box and marked the "Use custom" just to see if I was wrong somehow.
No matter where I put it I fail.

What I want to do is to add subtitles to my movies.
My dream setting is:
Use original sound of DVD and add Swedish subtitles.

So far I have only seen that I can use -N swe to add subtitltes if the language of the DVD doesn't contain a swedish soundtrack.
That is ok for now I have tried to add:
-N swe
-N sv

Nothing happens.
Help! What shall I do?
swemattias

Post by swemattias »

I should add that if I use -N sv the encoding starts with only that flag as an option nothing else.
The encoding that usually takes up to 2 h on my machine takes about 20 mins.
But that shows on the quality and still the subtitles are gone.

What shall I do?
hvolmer

Post by hvolmer »

This is a great tutorial and the automation is outstanding. Thanks!

First, one minor correction from the pdf that comes with the download: Page 13 states:

1. Launch Automator and open the "Batch Rip • Batch Rip (Service).workflow" file located in ~/Library/ Automator.

The correct path is ~/Library/Services. This had me confused for a bit until I stumbled across the services path later in the pdf.

Second, are the handbrake encodes done using the best possible settings? I'm not concerned about storage space, but want to make sure that the movies are as good as they can be. I plan on only using these with either a Mac Mini or Apple TV fed into my TV.

Third, what do I do with titles that don't seem to trigger the service, e.g. the first Narnia? I put in the DVD and nothing happens. I can open Fairmount and it will remount it, but from there I'm not sure where to go from there.

Thanks.
pr0s3

Post by pr0s3 »

Attempting to get this process working on a new 2.26GHz 8-core Mac Pro with 6GB RAM and two SuperDrives.

Note that I have successfully setup this process on a MacBook Pro in the past and a on 2009 iMac.

I'm having difficulty with Fairmount and the new Mac Pro.

BatchRip Dispatch recognizes a DVD when it it inserted, launches <Batch Rip • Batch Rip (Service).workflow> as expected, initializing the Batch Rip process (launching Terminal and Fairmount).

<Batch Rip • Batch Rip (Service).workflow> goes through its routine, erroring out with the following information and eventually ejecting the disk (per the preset option to do so). The whole process takes under a minute.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Initializing Batch Rip…

batchRip.sh v1.0.4

Start: Thu Jan  7 12:15:00 CST 2010
  TV Show Output directory: /Volumes/Chancery/VideoEncode/Batch Rip TV
  Movie Output directory: /Volumes/Chancery/VideoEncode/Batch Rip Movies
  Use only MakeMKV: No
  Encode HD Sources: No
  Growl me when complete: Yes
  Eject discs when complete: Yes
  Preferred Audio Language: English

WILL COPY THE FOLLOWING DISCS:
    THE_MATRIX_REVOLUTIONS_D1

*Scanning DVD-ROM: THE_MATRIX_REVOLUTIONS_D1 
Copying /Volumes/THE_MATRIX_REVOLUTIONS_D1 
ditto: can't get real path for source
chmod: /Volumes/Chancery/VideoEncode/Batch Rip Movies/THE_MATRIX_REVOLUTIONS_D1: No such file or directory

PROCESSING COMPLETE
Disk /Volumes/THE_MATRIX_REVOLUTIONS_D1 ejected
End: Thu Jan  7 12:15:48 CST 2010

logout

[Process completed]
When using Fairmount by itself (and <Batch Rip • Batch Rip Dispatcher> disabled), the SuperDrives begin reading the DVD, but sound as though they're doing a lot of checking. Fairmount Hangs, often with the system saying: "Fairmount: Not Responding." Eventually the drives calm down, sometimes with a mounted image, sometimes without. Always hanging at 10MB. A manual eject is required.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

-p. r0s3
Last edited by pr0s3 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nemish

Post by nemish »

I would honestly try another DVD just to confirm.
I had this happen with one DVD just recently and that was it.
I actually took the culprit DVD and was able to use Handbrake directly on the movie, which didn't get stuck, as I am assuming it was an issue decrypting the entire disc.
pr0s3

Post by pr0s3 »

nemish wrote:I would honestly try another DVD just to confirm.
I had this happen with one DVD just recently and that was it.
I actually took the culprit DVD and was able to use Handbrake directly on the movie, which didn't get stuck, as I am assuming it was an issue decrypting the entire disc.
Actually I've tried 6 different DVD's, in various combinations of the two SuperDrives, and even confirmed that with my MacBook Pro setup, the same DVD's are processes as expected.

After observing the issue again, I believe that Fairmount does not mount the disk image file reliably. When it does however, it is not before <batchRip.sh> times out, causing Fairmount to quit and the disc to be ejected. Given my testing with <Batch Rip • Batch Rip Dispatcher> disabled, I believe that I have confirmed that Fairmount would just hang at 10MB after mounting the disk image file anyway.

According to the readout, the ditto command looks to be unable to "get real path for source", and subsequently there is "No such file or directory" when the chmod command is run. I wonder if this has something to do with the script or Fairmount not handling multiple drives well, as it is an issue only on my Mac Pro. When both drives are occupied, Fairmount does in fact recognize that both DVD's/drives are recongnized...
T4FF

Post by T4FF »

Hi there, thanks for this process, it is an incredible piece of work. I have a few questions and an observation on it....

Going through the process online, I got a bit stuck - for the benefit of improving this, thought I'd just point out that under the Creating your Batch Rip Service section, point one suggests that Batch Rip • Batch Rip (Service).workflow is in ~/Library/Automator when it's actually in ~/Library/Services. :wink:

As for my questions:

My intention is to rip discs whilst I'm not using the mac, to just insert the disc and walk away. How will I know if a rip has failed due to copy protection issues? Will I be able to tell from the ripped files or is the only way to see this to check the "bad sectors" column of fairmount? Problem is the disc ejects automatically so will I need to take a step back and stop the disc ejecting automatically? I'm assuming my best option round this is to the rip the disc using anydvd (oh for anydvd for mac :))??

I've also attempted to add a second, USB drive in order to rip two at a time. My assumption from reading this article was that you could rip two discs *at the same time* however, whilst fairmount mounts the disc it doesn't appear to generate a second script service? Similar to the poster above somewhere it seems to just sit at 10MB. What this appears to be doing is waiting for the first disc to stop being ripped and then starts the second one. Have I set something up wrong or is this expected?

Finally, my encode script didn't work last night, no errors or anything but I am going to investigate before crying for help.

Once again, qudos on an excellent piece of work :D
T4FF

Post by T4FF »

Ok, sorted the encode problem, something wrong with Growl, once reinstalled the encode worked process correctly.

Have a suggestion for the Rip workflow....would be useful to have the function to move *completed* rips to a different folder....kind of like a temporary folder for part rips then move to completed. Only reason being is if the encode service kicks off mid rip it could pick up a part-ripped folder (would it do that??).

I'm currently not using the encode service as I've got my storage box doing all my encoding in batch (a windoze machine) but just a suggestion.
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

T4FF,
  • With the current workflow, I don't believe there is anyway to get an alert from Fairmount, Growl, etc, when Fairmount is unable to read or rip a disc.
  • After having similar issues with Fairmount failing on some discs, not ripping two discs simultaneously or even queueing properly I contacted Metakine support. I was told that Fairmount was never tested with simultaneous ripping in mind and could not explain why queueing was not functioning. Not much help at all. Based on that I spent $20 US for RipIt. Not only has it never failed on ripping a disc but by creating multiple copies of RipIt.app I have been able to rip three discs simultaneously without issue.
  • You might consider ripping while you are using your Mac, encoding while away. On my ripping machine (MacBookPro,Core2Duo 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, internal SuperDrive, two external USB DVD) Ripping three discs, RipIt only consumes 10 - 20% of CPU and memory resources. Then let your Mac do all the encoding overnight, while you are away.
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

Finally getting to some Blu-ray's in my collection but having an issue with the workflow creating 1080p MKV files despite that option not being selected in the Batch Rip - Encode Automator script. I only have DVD (Default), SD and 720p selected and don't really need or want a 1080p MKV output. Thoughts?
T4FF

Post by T4FF »

Sausage, thanks for response, don't get me wrong, I know there are ways around it (the encoding during ripping bit), just thinking of useful things that could improve this. Me personally, I have my PC Server doing all the encoding with a script using HandbrakeCLI on there which works well. Don't want to overload the macmini as this is my HTPC.

Also, thanks for recommending ripit. I do seem to recall testing that a *long* time ago with some random disc and it didn't rip it, think it was a disney disc which is a pretty good test as they seem to be notoriously messed around with lol. Things may well have move on since...will take another look. Pretty sure I'll be able to get another demo now as I've rebuilt my mac from scratch recently :wink:

I am aware that Saving Private Ryan didn't rip the other day (using this process) so I will test that with Ripit. I'm half concerned that some rips might not have ripped correctly and I will be unaware...I'm simply popping my head in every 20 minutes or so to see if the disc has ejected....though suppose I will find out eventually.

This might be a daft question, but how will I know if a folder hasn't ripped properly? Will I be able to see anything unusual in the folder? i.e. small VOB filesize? Anything else?

I am making use of the rename and rip services of this though, quite useful. :)
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

I used RipIt with no issue to rip Saving Private Ryan and several Disney animated discs (Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Lion King, etc). I do remember RipIt has failed once on me, for some concert DVD, can't remember which one right now. 1/200+ so far.

Beside the initial rip with RipIt I am also using the rest of the Batch Rip workflow and it has been nothing but awesome.

Regarding identifying bad rips: in my experience using Fairmount, if it got past 10MB and showed no bad sectors then it was a good rip (I didn't have the disc eject). For RipIt, it told me up front when it couldn't rip that one disc. All others just completed. I've only been able to review about 25% of the encodes on the couple hundred discs I have ripped in the last couple weeks but every one has been perfect thus far.
T4FF

Post by T4FF »

Ok thanks again, I will simply have to disover them when I come to play them as I am doing the rips blind so to speak due to the demands of a two year old :)
jnyberg

Post by jnyberg »

Second, are the handbrake encodes done using the best possible settings? I'm not concerned about storage space, but want to make sure that the movies are as good as they can be. I plan on only using these with either a Mac Mini or Apple TV fed into my TV.
I would also like to know this. Are these settings good for viewing via apple tv without much loss in perceived quality?
Akositzke

Post by Akositzke »

I'm pretty new to Handbrake and the whole DVD ripping / encoding process. Can someone tell me the benefit of first ripping the DVD to the hard drive, then encoding it using Handbrake? Why not just use handbrake from the beginning?

Thank a lot for any help...and for this post! As many have said, it's a great tutorial!!
Last edited by Akositzke on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outdoorsguy

Post by Outdoorsguy »

I'm having some difficulty getting encodes to complete reliably. I'm using Fairmount to copy discs to the Batch Rip TV folder and then using the encode service. I get the following error constantly:

"Script could not complete because S1D1-1.m4v does NOT exit"

If I run the encode service again it'll encode some of those files it refused to encode on the previous attempt. Essentially, I have to run the encode service multiple times on the folder to get all the TV episodes to encode.

Looking around I saw the following:

.../Library/Automator/Batch Encode.action/Contents/Resources/batchEncode.sh: line 965: 49763 Segmentation fault , always on line 965.

I keep seeing that Segmentation fault every time a file fails to encode. I'm using the latest version of VLC and Handbrake CLI both 32-bit versions. I just downloaded the automator actions yesterday evening, so those are current too. Anyone have any ideas what might be failing with line 965 to cause the Segmentation fault??
splodgecat

Post by splodgecat »

Akositzke wrote:I'm pretty new to Handbrake and the whole DVD ripping / encoding process. Can someone tell me the benefit of first ripping the DVD to the hard drive, then encoding it using Handbrake? Why not just use handbrake from the beginning?

Thank a lot for any help...and for this post! As many have said, it's a great tutorial!!
The reason for using Fairmount to copy the DVD first, is twofold.

1) The 'ripping' process (using Fairmount) takes only 20 minutes or so. This allows a user to 'batch' multiple DVDs in less time than if they were waiting for each one to encode, ejecting disc, inserting next disc etc. Essentially you can just feed your computer dvds and it stores them on the harddrive. The conversion process (Handbrake) is far more processor intensive and time consuming, and this workflow allows you to delay this step until times of low computer usage, i.e. the middle of the night. The workflow can convert multiple videos all in a row, because it is accessing the raw data from the dvd 'rips' all stored on the harddrive that you ripped earlier in the day.

2) Allowing Handbrake to convert from rips, rather than discs, is far easier on the DVD drive. It only spins for 20 minutes versus up to 90 minutes for handbrake.

Hope this helps!
Outdoorsguy

Post by Outdoorsguy »

Outdoorsguy wrote:I'm having some difficulty getting encodes to complete reliably. I'm using Fairmount to copy discs to the Batch Rip TV folder and then using the encode service. I get the following error constantly:

"Script could not complete because S1D1-1.m4v does NOT exit"

If I run the encode service again it'll encode some of those files it refused to encode on the previous attempt. Essentially, I have to run the encode service multiple times on the folder to get all the TV episodes to encode.

Looking around I saw the following:

.../Library/Automator/Batch Encode.action/Contents/Resources/batchEncode.sh: line 965: 49763 Segmentation fault , always on line 965.

I keep seeing that Segmentation fault every time a file fails to encode. I'm using the latest version of VLC and Handbrake CLI both 32-bit versions. I just downloaded the automator actions yesterday evening, so those are current too. Anyone have any ideas what might be failing with line 965 to cause the Segmentation fault??
This is still happening but I've worked around it. I've set an iCal alarm to run an encode every 8 hours, each time it encodes something it missed the first time around. For example, I was encoding Season 2 of Veronica Mars yesterday. It only did 4 episodes out of over 20 the first time. It ran again 8 hours later and got another 9 episodes and then ran again and got another 3 episodes. I figure that after a 4-5 runs, it'll get everything in the Batch Rip Movie and Batch Rip TV folders. It would be great if it would do all the encodes in one pass, but oh well, it's still pretty nice to do very little work to get all my shows encoded. Thanks to Hazel, all the finished encodes get copied to my external drive when they're done.

Mac Jedi, is this segmentation fault on line 965 a known issue?
rykon

Post by rykon »

Hey, I am having some problems makings this work. I am not sure if the 1st error is the problem but I have placed a .mkv, .avi, .m4v in the input directories and it still gives me the 2nd error and does nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

ERROR: HandBrakeCLI command tool is not setup to execute
    ERROR: attempting to use tool at /Applications/HandBrakeCLI

batchEncode.sh v1.0.4

Input directory 1: /Users/cb/Movies1
  Input directory 2: /Users/cb/Movies2
  Output directory: /Users/cb/Movies out
  Use optical Drive: No
  Encode HD Sources: No
  Auto-add movie tags: No
  Retire Existing File: No
  Growl me when complete: No
  Use tsMuxer: No
  Encode TV Shows between: 0-39 mins
  Encode Movies between: 40-244 mins
  Preferred Audio Language: English
  Will Encode: CUSTOM, 1080p, CUSTOM, 720p, CUSTOM, SD

ERROR: No videos found
  Check input search directories ($movieSearchDir, $tvSearchDir)
logout