No 64bit VLC. What now smart guys?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
utdrmac

No 64bit VLC. What now smart guys?

Post by utdrmac »

Per: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
Note: VLC will not be available for 64-bits Intel-based Macs until further notice. You can safely use the 32-bits package instead.
So, when is this going to be fixed in HandBrake?
Deleted User 11865

Re: No 64bit VLC. What now smart guys?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

It'll be "fixed" when VLC fix their 64-bit bugs and release an official 64-bit build again. There's nothing the HandBrake devs can do about it.

In the meantime, you can either use HandBrake 32-bit or use VLC 1.0.2 64-bit:

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... .2/macosx/
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

This has been discussed to death already. There are plenty of answers if you would only use search. A simple search for the terms "vlc 64 bit" yields this gem http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... bit#p66180
ijfoote

Post by ijfoote »

And why do you have to put your question or problem so rudely? These guys at Handbrake have been making an awesome app for years now and guess what, IT'S FREE!!!! You're asking about VLC, why not complain to the VLC site instead of Handbrake, or follow the forum rules and do a [Censored] search!
baggss

Post by baggss »

ijfoote wrote:And why do you have to put your question or problem so rudely? These guys at Handbrake have been making an awesome app for years now and guess what, IT'S FREE!!!! You're asking about VLC, why not complain to the VLC site instead of Handbrake, or follow the forum rules and do a [Censored] search!
Because people are stupid...
bdkennedy1
Enlightened

Post by bdkennedy1 »

Put the [Censored] account on hold.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

I think Handbrake is becoming a victim of its own success. The more mature it gets, the more press it seems to get with every release. And the more press it gets (as well as the more Apple iThingies people buy and want to load their own video content on) the more newbs download it.

One of the really bad things about the internet is that people are becoming accustomed to everything being done as fast as a google search (.000458 seconds). When I joined this forum, I asked a few newb questions, and then came to realize I had a lot of learning to do with information that was readily available in the forum already. So that's what I did.

Unfortunately, I don't see this type of poster going away; quite the opposite. And it isn't just here. Pretty much every forum is becoming overloaded with the "tell me how now - why isn't this easier - when will you guys fix this - why aren't you still developing "X" feature?

What this board will eventually require (if it doesn't just go exclusive to current user with invites only to select additional people) is more mods and a tougher policy in crass, rude douches. Oh, and don't forget the commies. ;)
sdjeff4sc

Post by sdjeff4sc »

I gotta agree with Da Man.

I am by definition, a NB, but when I had a problem, I read the intructions first. I posted my question with as much info about my set up as possible (and a log!) and the moderators/developers were really helpful in solving my problem (and gentle w/ my post being from a NB). I also learned to search my problem before posting - I've learned a lot about encoding just from using the search function.

I started using the snapshot before 9.4 and it worked sometimes, sometimes not, now I'm on 9.4 using 32-bit VLC on an intel Mini with very little trouble (OK, sometimes the preview window crashes the program - but not during an encode....). But as soon as I upgraded to 9.4, I immediately went to VLC to make sure I had the most recent 32-bit............

Oh yeah, I'm still using the MTR 2.6.6 - after you guys solved my problem I didn't see any reason to "gift" for MTR 3.0....

Anyway, I just wanted to thank the developers, Handbrake is an awesome program, works beautifully for me AND the moderators here who are so helpful to those of us who are not tech proficient. If I could "gift" I would but I understand why it's not possible.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

utdrmac wrote:Per: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
Note: VLC will not be available for 64-bits Intel-based Macs until further notice. You can safely use the 32-bits package instead.
htf is hb supposed to fix vlc ?
jkbc
Novice

Post by jkbc »

dynaflash wrote:
utdrmac wrote:Per: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
htf is hb supposed to fix vlc ?
Well clearly you've got everything to do with VLC... :lol:

Just another guy that can't search or read.
megahurt

Post by megahurt »

Honestly, it does seem like begging for problems when your own formerly-standalone application is changed to depend on another application, built by another team of people unrelated to your own.

All of a sudden Handbrake relies on VLC, and issues with Handbrake not doing what we want it to do are answered with "ask the VLC developers".

VLC was developed to play back video files, and it does that fine.
Handbrake was developed to rip DVD's, and, well, it kinda has issues with that now that it relies on VLC.

Just saying.
tadhgadams

Post by tadhgadams »

megahurt wrote: Handbrake was developed to rip DVD's, and, well, it kinda has issues with that now that it relies on VLC.

Just saying.
I thought it was developed to encode/transcode video.
lone_tree
Experienced

Post by lone_tree »

AFAIK, VLC use was implemented for a number of reasons and has made it so HB leads a long and fruitful life without getting shutdown by the MPAA. It was a wise decision on the part of the devs. There's a reason why programs like DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor are no longer in development (though you can still find them out there).
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

The primary reason for Handbrake dropping it's use of an internal libdvdcss library is simpler than that.

Several of our developers program for large companies during the day. Said companies weren't comfortable with their employees working on a project that technically violates the DMCA. So it was either remove the library, or lose the developers.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

megahurt wrote:All of a sudden Handbrake relies on VLC, and issues with Handbrake not doing what we want it to do are answered with "ask the VLC developers".
Um.

Who held a gun to your head and forced you to use the 64-bit builds of HandBrake?

Just saying.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

If you don't like it, feel free to take the source, develop your own DMCA-violating code, splice the two together, and offer it up yourself.

Got awfully quiet all of the sudden.

All smart-aleck responses aside, VLC 32 bit works fine with Handbrake, and I've been running the 64 bit build with Handbrake for several months without problem (both with Handbrake's SVN code, and the .9.4 version). There's also a new verison of Mac the Ripper, and it scrubs the encryption off quite nicely. Am I missing the point here of harassing the Devs on this one? I smell a ban coming and there's no reason for it.

Happy Holidays everyone?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Da Man wrote:Happy Holidays everyone?
Do racist, classist, anti-environment communists even celebrate holidays?

Because if I have to choose between being a politically correct HandBrake developer and keeping the burr mill coffee grinder I got for Chanukkah, I'm going with the grinder =)

Wait...I suppose I can use Starbucks non-fair-trade coffee beans and brew through disposable paper filters with water drained from a communal aquifer, if that would help maintain credibility.
baggss

Post by baggss »

jbrjake wrote:
Da Man wrote:Happy Holidays everyone?
Because if I have to choose between being a politically correct HandBrake developer and keeping the burr mill coffee grinder I got for Chanukkah, I'm going with the grinder =)
Be a man and roast your own coffee too. Anything else is swill...good riddence 8)
jbrjake wrote:Wait...I suppose I can use Starbucks non-fair-trade coffee beans and brew through disposable paper filters with water drained from a communal aquifer, if that would help maintain credibility.
Don't do it, at least not the paper-drip-public-aquifer part...
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

JBRJake - You're a [Censored]. Be like Chuck Norris
-grind the beans with your teeth
-for water use your sweat
-brew it with your own rage and anger
bproffit

Post by bproffit »

All of you who rushed to Handbrake's defense make very valid points. However I think there's one things they can and should do: Put an asterisk beside the 64-bit version letting people know how and where to find the beta or old versions of 64-bit VLC that they'll need to make it work. That would avoid a whole lot of confusion (and stop people from blaming them for something that isn't their fault).
jkbc
Novice

Post by jkbc »

bproffit wrote:All of you who rushed to Handbrake's defense make very valid points. However I think there's one things they can and should do: Put an asterisk beside the 64-bit version letting people know how and where to find the beta or old versions of 64-bit VLC that they'll need to make it work. That would avoid a whole lot of confusion (and stop people from blaming them for something that isn't their fault).
So it's the HandBrake developer's fault that VLC had a bug in the wild on their 64-bit builds? It's the HandBrake developer's fault that the user ignores the warning from VideoLAN that 64-bit builds of VLC are on hold? It's the HandBrake developer's fault that the user doesn't understand exactly what 64-bit builds entail, and just installed it because it's got twice as many bits?

Right.
baggss

Post by baggss »

jkbc wrote:
bproffit wrote:All of you who rushed to Handbrake's defense make very valid points. However I think there's one things they can and should do: Put an asterisk beside the 64-bit version letting people know how and where to find the beta or old versions of 64-bit VLC that they'll need to make it work. That would avoid a whole lot of confusion (and stop people from blaming them for something that isn't their fault).
So it's the HandBrake developer's fault that VLC had a bug in the wild on their 64-bit builds? It's the HandBrake developer's fault that the user ignores the warning from VideoLAN that 64-bit builds of VLC are on hold? It's the HandBrake developer's fault that the user doesn't understand exactly what 64-bit builds entail, and just installed it because it's got twice as many bits?

Right.
Twice as many is always better. Ever date twins? Twice as many of everything, including the drama....much like this thread.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

jkbc wrote:So it's the HandBrake developer's fault that VLC had a bug in the wild on their 64-bit builds? It's the HandBrake developer's fault that the user ignores the warning from VideoLAN that 64-bit builds of VLC are on hold? It's the HandBrake developer's fault that the user doesn't understand exactly what 64-bit builds entail, and just installed it because it's got twice as many bits?
It's covered in our FAQ, too. I deviously hid it in the answer to the question: "Why isn't HandBrake working with my copy of VLC?" and had the temerity to point out they could just use FairMount. It's been there since before the release went live.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

Lets just put a bullet in this post and lock it. I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that, with regards to the whole VLC 32 bit versus VLC 64 bit, there are those that get it and those that refuse to.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Good Idea