How-To: Automate DVD & Blu-Ray (Backup, Encoding & Tagging)

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mac.jedi
Enlightened

Re: How-To: Automate DVD & Blu-Ray (Backup, Encoding & Tagging)

Post by mac.jedi »

drawkward wrote:Thank you for the 1.04 update - does it install over 1.03? or should I remove the 1.03 files?
Hi drawkward,

No need to remove 1.0.3. If you run the installer, it'll know if it's upgrading you or doing a new install.

Thanks, mac.jedi
mac.jedi
Enlightened

ANNOUNCEMENT: BATCH RIP ACTIONS UPDATE

Post by mac.jedi »

ANNOUNCEMENT: BATCH RIP ACTIONS UPDATED

I did a stealth update to Batch Rip.action and Batch Encode.action at about 8:30AM PST. I highly recommend re-downloading and re-installing to replace the actions if you downloaded v1.0.4 last night or this morning.

The Dirt - The change was a small one, the line that sent the variables (your settings) to Terminal was set as a background process. In some instances the Service would quit too early before issuing the complete command to Terminal. This only happened once during testing, but it happened again this morning. So, I thought I'd issue a quick fix.

Happy Encoding, mac.jedi
mac.jedi
Enlightened

Post by mac.jedi »

ANNOUNCEMENT: BATCH RIP ACTIONS UPDATED, AGAIN.

I did another update to Batch Rip.action and Batch Encode.action at about 4:30PM PST. I highly recommend re-downloading and re-installing to replace the actions if you've previously downloaded v1.0.4.

The fix I made earlier, didn't fix the issue. Should be resolved now. Sorry for all the updates.

Happy Encoding, mac.jedi
coggsburn

Post by coggsburn »

mac.jedi,

Thanks! The new arguments are perfect (using "-S -F -N eng") and the updates work beautifully, too.

You're brilliant.

dennis
drawkward

Post by drawkward »

Working well - many thanks.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

:!: <Better Later Than Never...>

Great write-up Mac.jedi! Keep up the great effort and support...
illitrate

Post by illitrate »

firstly i wanted to add my thanks to everyone elses to mac.jedi for both taking the time to collate all the different steps required and provide such a detailed guide, but then also to hang around and be so helpful to all of us that have had issues.
i'd always put off encoding my dvd collection because it seemed so much effort - but now i'm ripping through them all with no trouble at all

edit: was readin in the CLI forum and am i right in thinking that the CLI can only work on mpeg format files? so we wouldn't be able to drop any old video files into the Batch TV folder and use the Batch Encode service to convert them all?

anyway thanks again for the great work
illitrate

Post by illitrate »

sorry - forgot to say.
Just wanted to confirm that if we previously had the Folder Actions set up on the /Volumes directory then we should now remove that because it is superseeded by the Dispatcher, yes?
michael_m

Post by michael_m »

Hi,

very fantastic how to.

Where i can change the options Language to German

Preferred Audio Language: English want to German

Thank You Michael
brakestands
Novice

Post by brakestands »

macjedi,

I am running the 0.9.4 mac gui 64-bit version of handbrake, and also vlc 1.0.2 64-bit, because apparently 1.0.3 vlc is not working in 64bit and won't be for some time. is there any problem that you see with me continuing with 1.0.2 and implementing your process flow and associate tools? Please let me know. Thank you again!
illitrate

Post by illitrate »

i'm having a small issue with the new method of encoding.
i've got two external dvd drives on my mac (internal drive doesn't work)
if i put a disc in the one connected via firewire, it works just fine
but if i put a disc in the one connected via usb2, then FairMount seems to take about twice as long to mount the disc, and in that time, the encode process has already started to scan for the disc and then decided that it cannot find it and cancels the encode (quitting FairMount and ejecting the disc).

is it possible to alter the pause between launching FairMount and scanning for the dvd-rom image so that my slower drive has time to get up to speed (as it were)?
i can work around it by manually copying the 2nd disc from the other drive, but then, that negates the whole point of using the Rip Dispatcher in the first place.

Other than that, very much liking the 1.4 setup. everythings working very smoothly

cheers again!
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

First of all, Mac.Jedi - fantastic work, thank you very much for putting all the work into this as well as supporting. Quick question about presets since the Handbrake documentation hasn't been updated yet for 0.9.4. If I want to continue using the Universal preset in conjunction with this work flow would I simply ad " --preset="Universal" " into the Custom DVD Setting within the Batch Rip - Batch Encode Automator workflow?

Running a test encode now with this setting and it appear to be running but thought I would just double check. Thanks and cheers!
RedJeep0

Post by RedJeep0 »

Fantastic Tutorial. I'm still working on getting everything smoothed out, but I presume my problems revolve partly around the fact I am a mac newb. I have a couple of questions, that maybe are easy to answer:

Can I string together the encode, rename and tagging into one automation sequence? My guess is probably not, because of the input required to identify the title of the movie.

I have a new mac with a core 2 duo, and I wanted to use 64bit processing, but I haven't figured out a solution to this. I see your tutorial is peppered with reminders about making sure not to change 32 bit vs 64 bit for the VLC and FairMount, but I tried it all the same (and failed), and I also tried using the last version of VLC (1.02 64 bit) along with the 64 bit FairMount, but that didn't work either. Everything processes if I use the current VLC, 32 bit FairMount, and the 0.9.4 CLI handbrake.

It's not perfect, though, and I wonder if there is an easy solution to this: Today I ripped Bottle Rocket (totally automated, so sweet), and The Game, and a couple of other movies. However, both Bottle Rocket and The Game encoded some of the segments in french (I think...I don't speak french, but it sounds french), and some in English. I think I need to re-rip them, and maybe I need to edit the CLI somehow? It's surprising to me that some of the VOB files are in english and some in french. I think I've ripped about 15 movies so far, and I haven't watched/listened to all of them, so I don't know how many times this occurred, but the bits of the other movies that I have watched have been fine.

I used the defaults for everything, and can print out a terminal output if that is needed.

Finally, do you have a solution for the rating? I'm wondering if I should just stick with MetaX for tagging, to get all the fields.

Thanks for your help! This is huge!!!

RedJeep
RedJeep0

Post by RedJeep0 »

dunno if this adds to the diagnosis based on my previous post, I but just observed that Ace Ventura recorded the commentary dialog instead of english audio and the Lion King has some commentary, some english.

Thanks!

RedJeep0
michael_m

Post by michael_m »

Hi,

does not someone know how to can change the Language by CLI encoding with Automator.

All aother work very fine but i want to encode in Germany Language.

Please help me

Thanks Mike
möp

Post by möp »

To change the preferred audio language:

Open this file with a text editor (Text Edit, Text Wrangler...)

Code: Select all

~/Library/Automator/Batch Encode.action/Contents/Resources/batchEncode.sh
and change on Line 60:

Code: Select all

# SET PREFERRED AUDIO LANGUAGE
audioLanguage="Deutsch" # set to English, Espanol, Francais, etc.
save file,
should work...
NeoEvaX

Post by NeoEvaX »

Any reason why when I convert using HandbrakeCLI it goes slower than when I use the GUI?

The GUI says it is converting at around 51 average fps. The CLI (with running Batch Rip Encode script) says its only going about 29.40 fps. Both using the newest versions. 0.9.4 64 bit (for both). Nothing else running while they are converting.

does the fps not mean anything? Or are my settings wrong?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

NeoEvaX wrote:Any reason why when I convert using HandbrakeCLI it goes slower than when I use the GUI?
Assuming you're running the same binaries and have the same source, then differences in encode speed must be due to different settings, by definition.
NeoEvaX

Post by NeoEvaX »

Ya sorry about the n00bness. I guess I just assumed the settings used in Batch Rip were the same as the "Normal" preset in the GUI. I now see its not. Which does make a lot more sense.

To ask a similar question. I am not too used to the CLI settings. The default settings used in the Batch Rip, what are they closest to? Are they slightly better than the standard "Normal" preset? I figured since they go a little slower they must do a better encoding. Are they similar to the High Profile settings?

Sorry, I know I could do a ton of research on the x264, but I have other things I should be researching. :)

Thanks for the helps simplifying
RealEvil

Post by RealEvil »

Hi,

Thanks for the tutorial and all the work you put in. The issue I have is that the TV show episodes I have are not in the correct name format. They might be in the following format: TV.SHOW.S01E03.H264.MKV. When I use your Batch Encode Service they are renamed to something like: TVSHOWD1-1.m4v which then dont work with your service to get the TV Show Metadata.

Is there an easy way to get my format auto tagged with the correct metadata from tvdb.org?

Thanks.
mac.jedi
Enlightened

Post by mac.jedi »

illitrate wrote:firstly i wanted to add my thanks to everyone elses to mac.jedi for both taking the time to collate all the different steps required and provide such a detailed guide, but then also to hang around and be so helpful to all of us that have had issues.
i'd always put off encoding my dvd collection because it seemed so much effort - but now i'm ripping through them all with no trouble at all

edit: was readin in the CLI forum and am i right in thinking that the CLI can only work on mpeg format files? so we wouldn't be able to drop any old video files into the Batch TV folder and use the Batch Encode service to convert them all?

anyway thanks again for the great work
Hi illitrate,

For DVD sources, the input types supported are MKV, VIDEO_TS folder or DVD-VIDEO Disc.

For Blu-Ray sources, the input types supported are MKV, M2ts, BDMV folder or Blu-Ray Disc (MakeMKV supported discs only).

Thanks,

macjedi
mac.jedi
Enlightened

Post by mac.jedi »

illitrate wrote:sorry - forgot to say.
Just wanted to confirm that if we previously had the Folder Actions set up on the /Volumes directory then we should now remove that because it is superseeded by the Dispatcher, yes?
Hi again,

The folder action is disabled when the dispatcher is activated. You can trash it if you wish. I chose not to delete it during the install, since the dispatcher is relatively new.

Thanks,

mac.jedi
mac.jedi
Enlightened

Post by mac.jedi »

michael_m wrote:Hi,

very fantastic how to.

Where i can change the options Language to German

Preferred Audio Language: English want to German

Thank You Michael
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your post! Right now the default language is English. I need to write a subroutine to parse all the different languages, hopefully I'll get around to it in the new year. Each app the action uses have different ways they abbreviate the language names. If you're good with shell scripting, you can try hard-coding German in place of English in the batchEncode.sh file located in the action bundle, you just need to make sure you are replacing them with the correct syntax for each app.

Thanks,

mac.jedi
mac.jedi
Enlightened

Post by mac.jedi »

brakestands wrote:macjedi,

I am running the 0.9.4 mac gui 64-bit version of handbrake, and also vlc 1.0.2 64-bit, because apparently 1.0.3 vlc is not working in 64bit and won't be for some time. is there any problem that you see with me continuing with 1.0.2 and implementing your process flow and associate tools? Please let me know. Thank you again!
Hi brakestands,

You shouldn't have any issue with using VLC 1.0.2.

Thanks, mac.jedi
mac.jedi
Enlightened

Post by mac.jedi »

illitrate wrote:i'm having a small issue with the new method of encoding.
i've got two external dvd drives on my mac (internal drive doesn't work)
if i put a disc in the one connected via firewire, it works just fine
but if i put a disc in the one connected via usb2, then FairMount seems to take about twice as long to mount the disc, and in that time, the encode process has already started to scan for the disc and then decided that it cannot find it and cancels the encode (quitting FairMount and ejecting the disc).

is it possible to alter the pause between launching FairMount and scanning for the dvd-rom image so that my slower drive has time to get up to speed (as it were)?
i can work around it by manually copying the 2nd disc from the other drive, but then, that negates the whole point of using the Rip Dispatcher in the first place.

Other than that, very much liking the 1.4 setup. everythings working very smoothly

cheers again!
There is a delay built into the batchRip.sh script in the batch rip action bundle. The delay is only active when two or more drives are present. If you are fairly comfortable with bash, you can edit the amount of delay in the batchRip.sh script.

Let me know if you need some help on this.

Thanks, mac.jedi