Inconsistent Results with 0.9.4

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ACraigL

Inconsistent Results with 0.9.4

Post by ACraigL »

Hi,

Great tool. Thank you for continuing to develop this.
I've had inconsistent and poor results with 0.9.4 thus far. I don't have a log to post -- for some reason when I call the CLI via dvrmsToolbox it never gets created -- but I have enough trys and fails to roll back to 0.9.3. I don't know if this post will be helpful or not, but I'd figured it would be worth documenting my experience. If you have any suggestions of something to try, I would be happy to do so.

1. When using the "iPhone & iPod Touch" preset, my audio is now out of sync with the video (not so in 0.9.3). Encoding mpeg2 files converted from .dvr-ms; ATSC HD. AMD 5200+ dual core if that matters.
2. The --preset option did not work for custom presets. I created a duplicate of the iPhone preset with a DRC=2 called (AndyiPod), but the app called the default preset instead. When I used "iPhone & iPod Touch" it worked fine (but out of sync, per above).
3. I manually entered values set from 0.9.3 (since presets did not work) but the result was very stuttered video and *slightly* out of sync video.
4. Where did the query option go? I wanted to generate a string instead of the presets (since I could not get presets to work), but it only offered a partial string as far as I could tell.

I'm back and fine with 0.9.3, but the speed improvements are so great in the current version I would like to get the above resolved, if possible. Thanks!
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Inconsistent Results with 0.9.4

Post by s55 »

2. Never has. --Preset is for built-in persets only. The CLI does not have the ability to parse the WinGui's user preset file.
3. Query editor is off by default. You can turn it on in options. It generates a full query minus the executable name.

Everything else needs a log. The CLI uses standard output/error so you have to pipe this to a file if you want an actual log file.

Append: > file.txt 2>&1 to the end. You'll get a blank CLI window, but the contents will be in the file.
ACraigL

Post by ACraigL »

Got it, thanks. Overlooked the query tab option -- sorry about that. I'm encoding now and will upload a log shortly.
ACraigL

Post by ACraigL »

Log for audio sync issue:
http://handbrake.fr/pastebin/pastebin.php?show=1009

Let me know if you need anything else.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

The same source file encodes in sync in 0.9.3? Because your log indicates there are problems with the source file.
ACraigL

Post by ACraigL »

Correct. No issues under 0.9.3. I've been using the previous version for 8+ months issue free. FWIW, the process is:

1. DVR-MS fie recorded via Visa Media Center
2. Convert DVR-MS > Commercial-Free DVR-MS
3. Convert Commercial-Free DVR-MS to MPEG
4. Convert MPEG to MP4 via Handbrake

All of this is processed using dvrmsToolbox. Flawless with 0.9.3.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

ACraigL wrote:Correct. No issues under 0.9.3. I've been using the previous version for 8+ months issue free. FWIW, the process is:

All of this is processed using dvrmsToolbox. Flawless with 0.9.3.
Could you please provide a log of a successful encode of the same source with 0.9.3 for comparison?
ACraigL

Post by ACraigL »

Here's an 0.9.3 log with the same source:
http://handbrake.fr/pastebin/pastebin.php?show=1012
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

A short sample of a source demonstrating this issue could be helpful.
ACraigL

Post by ACraigL »

I can try to upload something this evening, but this is currently a 22-minute show. If I alter it, it may affect the test.
Was there anything worth noting in the new log?
ACraigL

Post by ACraigL »

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I finally got it working. The change was to make the framerate 29.97. It defaulted to same as source in the iPhone profilem but once I changed this setting, the audio became sync'd wth the video. Happy days! Thanks again for a great tool!
creamyhorror
Enlightened

Post by creamyhorror »

ACraigL wrote:Correct. No issues under 0.9.3. I've been using the previous version for 8+ months issue free. FWIW, the process is:

Is that 2, or even 3, encoding processes I see?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

creamyhorror wrote:

Is that 2, or even 3, encoding processes I see?
Not necessarily. Steps 2 and 3 likely only involve remuxing, not transcoding.