0.9.4 + MetaX Not Working - SOLVED

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jrexi

0.9.4 + MetaX Not Working - SOLVED

Post by jrexi »

I have found that the 0.9.4 handbrake converted movies i tag with MetaX 2.4.6 are corrupted after the tagging process. More specifically, the files play normally in iTunes when I import them into my library but as soon as I tag the file with MetaX the file no longer plays --- it just a blank screen with no audio or anything. I tried tagging with Lostify and although the file plays, the audio is gone.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Last edited by jrexi on Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: 0.9.4 + MetaX Not Working

Post by Ritsuka »

No, the buggy thing is atomicparsley, the application used by metax and lostify to write tag. It simply goes crazy when it find something it can't handle.
cp21yos

Post by cp21yos »

I can confirm that a working file output from 0.9.4 is corrupted by using MetaX 2.4.6.

Given that the files are fine before Metax processes them I wouldn't be point the finger anywhere yet.
jrexi

Post by jrexi »

Ritsuka wrote:No, the buggy thing is atomicparsley, the application used by metax and lostify to write tag. It simply goes crazy when it find something it can't handle.
But the thing is, MetaX works fine with movies converted with 0.9.3, this is just happening now with 0.9.4 on all files. Are you saying we need to wait for an update from MetaX/Lostify before it will tag Handbrake files correctly again?
cp21yos

Post by cp21yos »

The only things I can say about "atomicparsley" are:
• The project hasn't received an update since 2006
• It doesn't support 64-bit files ( does Handbrake 0.9.4? )
• It has a range of things that need to be done to it as discussed in this thread: "Is this code dead?"
• there is hope as just yesterday it was forked http://bitbucket.org/wez/atomicparsley/ to address some of these things

Cheers
baggss

Post by baggss »

Well, I just ran some files through MetaX 2.6.4 that were ripped with 0.9.4 and they work fine in iTunes. Then again I'm on a Quad G5 and it's only working as 32 Bit (both HB and MetaX) so that is probably why.
DeDe711

Post by DeDe711 »

Having the same problem here, but I'm using 0.9.3 and MetaX 2.4.6...After converting with Handbrake, the movie (Santa Buddies) opens fine and runs in iTunes...when I go to tag data via MetaX, the movie is blank...4th time converting this darn movie!!
jrexi

Post by jrexi »

baggss wrote:Well, I just ran some files through MetaX 2.6.4 that were ripped with 0.9.4 and they work fine in iTunes. Then again I'm on a Quad G5 and it's only working as 32 Bit (both HB and MetaX) so that is probably why.
Interesting. I was using the 32 bit versions as well without success. Are you running on Snow Leopard?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

jrexi wrote:
baggss wrote:Well, I just ran some files through MetaX 2.6.4 that were ripped with 0.9.4 and they work fine in iTunes. Then again I'm on a Quad G5 and it's only working as 32 Bit (both HB and MetaX) so that is probably why.
Interesting. I was using the 32 bit versions as well without success. Are you running on Snow Leopard?
Snow Leopard doesn't run on G5s (or any PPC processor).

Also, I don't get what difference it makes whether you're running 32-bit or 64-bit HB.

cp21yos's comment about 64-bit files has nothing to do with HB being 32- or 64-bit. HandBrake creates 64-bit MP4s (i.e. files) when you enable the "Large file size" option.
baggss

Post by baggss »

DeDe711 wrote:Having the same problem here, but I'm using 0.9.3 and MetaX 2.4.6...After converting with Handbrake, the movie (Santa Buddies) opens fine and runs in iTunes...when I go to tag data via MetaX, the movie is blank...4th time converting this darn movie!!
Ya know, the easy answer would be to simply make a backup copy of the Handbrake ripped movie instead of trashing the file in MetaX and starting all over again each time.
jrexi wrote: Interesting. I was using the 32 bit versions as well without success. Are you running on Snow Leopard?
As sated above, no.

As far as 64 bit vs 32 bit, do you have the "Large File Sizes" box check on HB and do you have the 64 Bit box checked in MetaX's Prefs? I have the one on MetaX checked, but not the one on HB.
jrexi

Post by jrexi »

baggss you helped me figure it out --- the issue is certainly in the 'large file size'. I just converted Santa Buddies in 0.9.4 (32Bit) using version 1.02 of VLC, clicked on the AppleTV preset then unticked 'large file size' and everything tagged correctly in MetaX. Now that I got it working, I'll play around with the 64Bit settings on MetaX to see if I can successfully tag a 'large file size' file coming out of 0.9.4

Thanks for giving me direction baggss!
baggss

Post by baggss »

jrexi wrote:baggss you helped me figure it out --- the issue is certainly in the 'large file size'. I just converted Santa Buddies in 0.9.4 (32Bit) using version 1.02 of VLC, clicked on the AppleTV preset then unticked 'large file size' and everything tagged correctly in MetaX. Now that I got it working, I'll play around with the 64Bit settings on MetaX to see if I can successfully tag a 'large file size' file coming out of 0.9.4

Let us know how this pans out for you. I've never used the "Large File Size" in HB, but once I get my Quad Intel Mac I may start. I'm curious to see how all of this works together.
jrexi

Re: 0.9.4 + MetaX Not Working - SOLVED

Post by jrexi »

baggss wrote:
jrexi wrote:baggss you helped me figure it out --- the issue is certainly in the 'large file size'. I just converted Santa Buddies in 0.9.4 (32Bit) using version 1.02 of VLC, clicked on the AppleTV preset then unticked 'large file size' and everything tagged correctly in MetaX. Now that I got it working, I'll play around with the 64Bit settings on MetaX to see if I can successfully tag a 'large file size' file coming out of 0.9.4

Let us know how this pans out for you. I've never used the "Large File Size" in HB, but once I get my Quad Intel Mac I may start. I'm curious to see how all of this works together.
Success - enabling the option in MetaX to support 64 Bit Large Files tagged the "Large File Size" file coming out of HB 0.9.4 perfectly. FWIW I'm using the 32Bit HB on a dual core iMac running Snow Leopard.
afoessel

Post by afoessel »

Thank you. I was having similar problem. iMac Intel Snow Leopard Metax 2.4.6
nobleclem

Post by nobleclem »

jrexi wrote:Success - enabling the option in MetaX to support 64 Bit Large Files tagged the "Large File Size" file coming out of HB 0.9.4 perfectly. FWIW I'm using the 32Bit HB on a dual core iMac running Snow Leopard.
Worked Perfectly for me. I was going nuts trying to figure out what was going on with metax. Thanks for the tip.
TalonGold

Post by TalonGold »

Also worked great for me, Using 64Bit HB and checking the 64Bit Box in MetaX worked perfectly! Thanks everybody!
darenf

Post by darenf »

HI,
i am having the same problem.
where is this setting pls? i will see if it works for me once i can find it!

cheers
Daz