READ ME / POST HERE if a specific DVD/Movie won't rip

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
baggss

Post by baggss »

I didn't try MPEG-4, only H.264. This may have only been added to the box set disc 1.
almcclymont

Eating up disk space?

Post by almcclymont »

Hi... Is it possible that a zero cell movie will somehow eat up disk space? (i.e. temp files or some such).

Am a new Mac user, sorry if this is a dumb question. I've ripped a few DVDs perfectly, but several unsuccessful attempts on the last one have coincided with disk space (in the tens of GB) disappearing.

Thanks!
slkapust

Post by slkapust »

grumpier old men
-mtr then dtox then mf
one flew over the cuckoo's nest
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Eating up disk space?

Post by rhester »

almcclymont wrote:Hi... Is it possible that a zero cell movie will somehow eat up disk space? (i.e. temp files or some such).

Am a new Mac user, sorry if this is a dumb question. I've ripped a few DVDs perfectly, but several unsuccessful attempts on the last one have coincided with disk space (in the tens of GB) disappearing.
Yes, absolutely. See the discussion at http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=437 and the Trac ticket at http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/ticket/12 for details.

Rodney
ajbarnes

Post by ajbarnes »

What's the story with Click?

Another Sony dud? HB/MF didn't cut it.
baggss

Post by baggss »

slkapust wrote:grumpier old men
-mtr then dtox then mf
one flew over the cuckoo's nest
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest ripped fine for me....
slkapust

Post by slkapust »

If it matters, my copy of One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest is an earlier release from 1997.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Actually, that would mean it would likely have no copy protection on it as this didn't start until within the last year or so.

I removed Reservoir Dogs as it just ripped fine for me without anything special.
gmalarkey

Post by gmalarkey »

baggss wrote:I ripped that with HB 0.7.1 some time back with no issues. You are saying you see a bunch of titles but not the main feature?
jediracer wrote:Both The Departed and X-Men 3 worked just fine for me. (first try and everything)
I had no issues with The Departed either. That's why neither is on the list.
yeah, it just looks like the special features. some outline drawins and such. not sure what to do on that one.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Removed Cars, it just ripped fine for me.
jediracer

Post by jediracer »

i can't get any sound for cars. same thing happened with tokyo drift.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

jediracer wrote:i can't get any sound for cars. same thing happened with tokyo drift.
Try ripping cars mtr full disk first. This one has worked just fine for me as well. Looks good on iPod too.
baggss

Post by baggss »

dynaflash wrote:
jediracer wrote:i can't get any sound for cars. same thing happened with tokyo drift.
Try ripping cars mtr full disk first. This one has worked just fine for me as well. Looks good on iPod too.
I find this odd. I ripped mine directly from the DVD with svn 493 with no audio issues at all.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

baggss, probably does work great from dvd. I just know I had already ripped full disk with mtr. which works great.

Seems strange that it works for some, and supposedly not for others though .
baggss

Post by baggss »

I'm noticing people having a lot more trouble on Intel Macs than on PPC Mac, but maybe it's just my imagination. Maybe it's because I'm ripping at a significantly lower quality than most people.

jediracer, what were your exact setting for Cars and Tokyo Drift?
jediracer

Post by jediracer »

Lords of Dogtown
jediracer

Post by jediracer »

baggss wrote: jediracer, what were your exact setting for Cars and Tokyo Drift?
i dunno exactly, i always just use the default settings and it usually works fine.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

FYI it's ARccOS not ARCoS.
jediracer

Post by jediracer »

I couldn't get ULTRAVIOLET to work
jlipsit

Post by jlipsit »

This is new type of problem that I have not seen before: when I open the DVD "Tenacious D" (The Pick Of Destiny) although the DVD is 1 Hour and 40 Minutes, the largest title found is about 30 minutes. Then there are about 30 or so titles that are about 5 - 15 minutes in length.

I suspect this is some new technique to thwart copying. I did not attempt to RIP the DVD.

Has anyone seen this before? I searched the board and did not come up with anything.

Would a future version of Handbrake be able to combine "select" titles into one feature?
hallste7

Me too...

Post by hallste7 »

I've had the same problem only with Conan the Barbarian. It will bring up all the titles in 0.8.5 but it only rips half the sound (that's coming from a Video TS folder ripped with MTR).

When I use an older version it just doesn't bring the any title longer than 5 minutes.

I'm not sure what to do because when I check for zero cells in Detox there are none, every cell has more than a minute's worth of content.
baggss

Post by baggss »

The sound issue is separate from the Zero Cell issue and is, I believe, only related to Intel Mac. I've heard no reports of it happening on PPC based machines, but I could be wrong.
jediracer

Post by jediracer »

jlipsit wrote:This is new type of problem that I have not seen before: when I open the DVD "Tenacious D" (The Pick Of Destiny) although the DVD is 1 Hour and 40 Minutes, the largest title found is about 30 minutes. Then there are about 30 or so titles that are about 5 - 15 minutes in length.

I suspect this is some new technique to thwart copying. I did not attempt to RIP the DVD.

Has anyone seen this before? I searched the board and did not come up with anything.

Would a future version of Handbrake be able to combine "select" titles into one feature?
had the same problem with Black Christmas (unrated)
zapple

Post by zapple »

40 year old virgin worked fine for me
gmalarkey

Post by gmalarkey »

jediracer wrote:
jlipsit wrote:This is new type of problem that I have not seen before: when I open the DVD "Tenacious D" (The Pick Of Destiny) although the DVD is 1 Hour and 40 Minutes, the largest title found is about 30 minutes. Then there are about 30 or so titles that are about 5 - 15 minutes in length.

had the same problem with Black Christmas (unrated)
i had the same prob with family guy. i have heard that my prob might be because i am on a mac