Can't run 2 handbrakes...help appreciated.

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
blademan88

Can't run 2 handbrakes...help appreciated.

Post by blademan88 »

Hiya,
So I start my first instance of handbrake, get it encoding, and close handbrake itself while the CLI works its magic. Then, I place another DVD into the other drive in my computer, start up handbrake again, browse to the right folder, scan it, and then click OK when its ready. However, it always stops responding at this point. It just stays with the little "OK" button pushed in but never advances out of the "Reading DVD..." window and into the next one. I'm using a 3.0 P4. Windows XP. 1024 ram. Help please! Thanks a ton!
-Ori

By the way, any forecast on when the next version is coming? I can't wait for the add to queue button! :D
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Its not possible to Read a DVD whilst an encode process is already going

When you Click the Read DVD button for the 2nd time, then press the OK button, its monitoring the system process list to check of hbcli.exe exists on it. If it does it will simply continue to wait until the hbcli.exe closes.

The reason for this that is this:

1. Starts hbcli.exe for reading.
2. Waits for the hbcli.exe process to finish before attempting to read the DVD information dump file.
3. Parses the dvd info file.

If it tried to read the dvd info file before hbcli had finished, it simply break.

As for the timeline... soon

The code for the beta is finished. I'm simply waiting on Handbrake 0.8.5b1 to be finished off now before release. Its currently in testing & bug fixing stage so it should not be long now.
blademan88

Post by blademan88 »

Thanks for the detailed informed response! However, I must ask, is there any method I can use to take advantage of having two DVD drives? Thanks for the advice. By the way, if you need any bug testers for the windows version, I'd be happy to help. I use the Windows GLI avidly :D
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You can run 2 instances using the CLI version however I would not recommend it using a Pentium 4. Your asking for trouble trying to do multiple encodes at once and you'll prob find it faster doing them individually.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/CLIGuide

Should help you use the CLI. bare in mind you dont need ./ infront of the exe in windows.
blademan88

Post by blademan88 »

Thanks for the advice. The main reason I would want to do two encodes at once is for example if I'm going to be away from the computer all day, I don't mind if its a bit less efficient since my computer has a full 10 hours anyhow. I figure I might as well try and get 2 encodes during that time.

When you say you wouldn't recommend it for a P4, is it because it would be slower? Or is it because there will be issues with the program? The video will not render as well as it would individually? What exactly do you mean "trouble"? Thanks again sr55.
-Ori
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

a) version 2.2 (release is soon) will have queueing so you'll be able to queue tasks up.

so you;d do

Insert disk 1 into d: > scan & select > add to queue
insert disk 2 into e: > scan & select > add to queue

Encode video

and it will do 1 after the other. Just do all the scanning first b4 starting any encoding.

b) 2 hbcli on a single processor may well take longer to encoder than 2 seperate encodes. It will run into a bottle neck and possibally cause all sorts of weird issues.

Its more likely to crash on you although this is down to CYGWIN mis-behaving, not handbrake.

From testing I simply just dont recommend. It just seems to cause more issues.
blademan88

Post by blademan88 »

Yep, I'm aware that the new version has queuving, which is why I'm eagerly awaiting it :D If using the CLI can cause crashing and whatnot, I suppose I'll just wait for the update which I check for everyday :wink: . Few clarifying questions though: In the new version, can I add multiple things from one disk to the queue? For example, if I insert a Futurama disc with episodes 1-4, can I encode episode 1, then add episode 2 to queue, episode 3, and so on...

The other thing is, can I do the above with the CLI without it causing issues? Or am I likely to encounter similar issues you just described? Thanks a ton!

And an off-topic question which you may vary well have no idea about... is AnyDVD only helpful for a rare DVD that DVD43 can't decrypt, or does DVD43 have a good amount of DVD's it has trouble with? I've noticed a few times when using DVD43 and clicking read, it just says nothing... no error messages or anything at all. I'm assuming that is becuase of encrpytion? It works I beleive when I tried AnyDVD, but just want to confirm that's no a coincendence of some sort. Thanks again!
-Ori
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Yep, I'm aware that the new version has queuving, which is why I'm eagerly awaiting it Very Happy If using the CLI can cause crashing and whatnot, I suppose I'll just wait for the update which I check for everyday Wink . Few clarifying questions though: In the new version, can I add multiple things from one disk to the queue? For example, if I insert a Futurama disc with episodes 1-4, can I encode episode 1, then add episode 2 to queue, episode 3, and so on...
Yes, Just queue each Title up. It will still do these 1 at a time. Again if you were doing 2 disks, Queue all 8 episodes up first, then start the encoding.
The other thing is, can I do the above with the CLI without it causing issues? Or am I likely to encounter similar issues you just described? Thanks a ton!
It shouldnt cause any issues since it'll still do each Title 1 after the other.

And an off-topic question which you may vary well have no idea about... is AnyDVD only helpful for a rare DVD that DVD43 can't decrypt, or does DVD43 have a good amount of DVD's it has trouble with? I've noticed a few times when using DVD43 and clicking read, it just says nothing... no error messages or anything at all. I'm assuming that is becuase of encrpytion? It works I beleive when I tried AnyDVD, but just want to confirm that's no a coincendence of some sort. Thanks again!
DVD43 can't detect many new protections so can't alert you to them. The first you'll know of a problem is when Handbrake crashes or produces a trashed video possibally with missing audio.

I think DVD43 only supports CSS encryption + maybe a few others. Not really sure. I suspect there are a good number of titles that wont encode under dvd43 but I can't be sure how many. I'll bet a good number of recent titles will have difficulties under DVD43.