[invalid].MP4 / .M4V file extension problem

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

fprietog

[invalid].MP4 / .M4V file extension problem

Post by fprietog »

Hello,

I don't check the option "Use iPod/iTunes friendly file extension (.m4v) for MP4" but the extension assigned by the GUI is always .m4v instead of .mp4.

-Version: SVN2773 GUI
-Date of download: 23/08/2009
-Platform (Mac, Linux, Windows): WINDOWS
-Settings (video encoder, picture dimensions, etc.): MPEG4 FFmpeg
-Operating System version: WINDOWS XP SP3 Spanish
-Whether or not the problem is reproducible (happens every time with the same settings/movie): Yes

Thanks and best regards.
Last edited by fprietog on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: .MP4 / .M4V file extension problem

Post by TedJ »

The m4v switch overrides Handbrake's default behaviour, which is to use m4v only if you select options that require m4v to work on Apple hardware. If you're using AC3 passthrough or embedded chapters, Handbrake should set the output to m4v by default.

This isn't a major issue since mp4 and m4v are functionally identical except for the extension... feel free to change it back to mp4 post-encode if it bothers you.
fprietog

Re: .MP4 / .M4V file extension problem

Post by fprietog »

Ok, I misunderstood the funcionality of this option. I can change the extension after the encoding or even manually in the destination file text box before encoding.

Thanks and best regards.
vvx

Re: [invalid].MP4 / .M4V file extension problem

Post by vvx »

It would be nice to have an option to disable this "feature". I do not have any apple hardware, and play either on computer or PS3. On the computer it doesn't matter one way or the other. On the PS3 though it needs to be mp4. So for handbrake to force the extension to m4v so I can play it on apple hardware does nothing for me. It does however prevent it from playing on my PS3.

Of course I'll simply rename everything to mp4, but it seems silly for handbrake to assume everyone is using it for apple devices (unless an apple preset was used.) Just an annoyance that I'd voice in on.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

well, does the computer or ps3 recognize the triggers to .m4v (ac3 in an mp4 and hb's chapter markers as they are ) ?
If not just do not enable these features which would be useless to you anyway, then it should default to .mp4 (the macgui will at any rate as long as the iTunes friendly naming is not enabled in prefs).
brookheather

Post by brookheather »

Also the WDTV will only play videos with .mp4 file extension - you can't play .m4v files.