Installation Problem

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jd

Installation Problem

Post by jd »

I'm a newbie attempting to install Handbrake for Windows.
Am getting an error about the cabinet file disk1.cab being corrupt.
Can someone point me in the right direction please?
Thanks for your help
JD
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Re-download it. Must be corrupted
jd

Post by jd »

Thanks for the tip - I tried that but am getting the same error. The error code is 2350 does that mean something?
Thanks again for the help.
Jeannie
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Your Windows Installer is either out of date or has some kind of issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Download the latest version of the windows installer above and try it again.
jd

Post by jd »

Scott,
It's very kind of you to persist with me on this.
I downloaded the new version of the windows installer and am still getting a similar error at the same place late in the installation process. I'm away from home on a laptop at the moment - perhaps I should wait till I'm home again and try to download and install again on the desktop there? Unless you have an other idea?
Thanks again.
Jeannie
TheFriedBob

Can't install either

Post by TheFriedBob »

When using 0.8.0 beta 1, I keep getting disk1.cab is corrupt errors when I try to install.

My windows installer is up to date, and I've redownloaded the dile several times.

I can't verify the download, because there is no MD5 checksum or any sort of signature for the files.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I'm afraid not. Its curious because it should not be looking for data1.cab :S It doesn't exist. I'm out at the moment but when I get back i'll double check the installer on the server see if I can see anything wrong with it
TheFriedBob

Post by TheFriedBob »

sr55 wrote:I'm afraid not. Its curious because it should not be looking for data1.cab :S It doesn't exist. I'm out at the moment but when I get back i'll double check the installer on the server see if I can see anything wrong with it
Well, it's not looking for "data1.cab". It's looking for "disk1.cab", just like for the guy that started this thread.

I am using Windows Installer 3.1, which is the most recent one. I'm going to assume that the "afraid not" comment is a result of a misunderstanding, since I don't know where this "data1.cab" reference came from.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

sorry, I did mean disk1.cab, my bad

However, disk1.cab does not exist. It should not exist. All the files are compressed within the msi installer itself which begs the question why its trying to reference an external file.

My guess would be that your Windows Installer has a cache of a previous application install and is getting confused.
Titan

Post by Titan »

try deleting your temp files "docunments & settings/local settings/temp" disk1.cab does exist within the installer and just extracts to the temp folder. try that :)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I'll be switching to a new installer package with the next version anyway. The 1 I am currently using is not fantastic and very limited due to it being a freeware version of a commcerical product. Seems to like to do its own thing.