NO AUDIO?... Read Here! (Summary in First Post) **UPDATED**

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

I dont think that the CLI solves the issues we have. It improves the situation though. I tried encoding Mr & Mrs Smith and Hart's War but audio drops. I still have to find a way to encode both films...
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

petvas wrote:I dont think that the CLI solves the issues we have. It improves the situation though. I tried encoding Mr & Mrs Smith and Hart's War but audio drops. I still have to find a way to encode both films...
Frankly, until a better ripper comes out. Some dvds just arent going to happen imho.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

dynaflash wrote:
petvas wrote:I dont think that the CLI solves the issues we have. It improves the situation though. I tried encoding Mr & Mrs Smith and Hart's War but audio drops. I still have to find a way to encode both films...
Frankly, until a better ripper comes out. Some dvds just arent going to happen imho.
And some are just mastered bad and will most likely never work!
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

Yes, it seems to be so... :(
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

dynaflash wrote:
I will try ripping these DVDs with DVD Fab for Windows and with AnyDVD and try again.
terabyteme

Post by terabyteme »

I'm wondering if this only happens on 2 pass encodes - that is all I've tried so far, and the second pass appears to be the failure point on mine anyway. I guess I should try one of my failed movies with single pass and see what happens.

pmoc wrote:One interresting thing: I tried encoding MATRIX from a MTR rip (main feature only).

./HandBrakeCLI -i /users/philippe/desktop/MATRIX/VIDEO_TS -o /users/philippe/desktop/matrix.mp4 -b 2000 -e x264 -m -R 48 -p -v -s 1 -6 6ch
This first command gave a working result

./HandBrakeCLI -i /users/philippe/desktop/MATRIX/VIDEO_TS -o /users/philippe/desktop/matrix.mp4 -b 2000 -2 -d -e x264 -m -R 48 -p -v -s 1 -6 6ch
Doesn't work (No sound after 2 min 46s) adding 50ms of silence....

What do you think?

Cheers.
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

Dont bother! I only use single pass and still have the same issues
pmoc

Post by pmoc »

Nope, I did a third try using
./HandBrakeCLI -i /users/philippe/desktop/MATRIX/VIDEO_TS -o /users/philippe/desktop/matrix.mp4 -b 2000 -2 -d -e x264b30 -m -R 48 -p -v -s 1 -6 6ch
This command actually is the same as the previous one which failed, but it uses x264b30. Guess what: it went through.

So now, for the same input VIDEO_TS, the first command (with x264) fails and the second one (using x264b30) works.

I'm running through this process once again just to be sure. I'll report back tomorrow.

One other thing: why do you think this problem comes from MTR? I can encode all these movies with HB 0.7. Problems only begun to occur with the new beta as far as I'm concerned.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

has anyone of you used DVD Fab for Windows? So far every problematic DVD I have works great if ripped with DVD Fab.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

petvas wrote:Unfortunately my initial impression that DVD2OneX acts as a workaround, didnt prove true. I ripped that way Die Hard and HB dropped the Audio...
...Ripped using:

MTR R14d (Full Disc Mode)

./HandBrakeCLI -i /New\ Downloads/DIE_HARD_DISC1/ -t 1 -w 720 -l 304 -m -e x264 -b 3000 -r 23.976 -E facc -a 1 -B 160 -R 44.1 -6 6ch -o /New\ Downloads/DieHardWS.mp4 -v

Works Fine.
Last edited by Cavalicious on Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

pmoc wrote:So now, for the same input VIDEO_TS, the first command (with x264) fails and the second one (using x264b30) works.
./HandBrakeCLI -i /New\ Downloads/THE_MATRIX_16X9LB_N_AMERICA/ -t 1 -w 720 -l 304 -m -e x264 -b 3000 -r 23.976 -E facc -a 1 -B 160 -R44.1 -6 6ch -o /New\ Downloads/TheMatrixWS.mp4 -v

The above works just fine...

PS...MTR says Title 13 is the "Main Feature"...Nah Nah Nah. Do a full DVD rip. MTR will crash on empty WHV folder. Thats fine, movie already ripped. Run the above on the folder...(notice -t 1).

All's well...going to sleep now.
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

Ok, I had problems with Mr & mrs Smith and Hart's War. At first I ripped both with MTR 3.0 r14 (full feature) and ran them through DTOX. It didnt work. Both encodes dropped audio.
I ran my Parallels VM with WinXP on it and ripped both DVDs with DVD Fab (Main feature only). Guess what? It works!!!
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

petvas wrote:Ok, I had problems with Mr & mrs Smith and Hart's War. At first I ripped both with MTR 3.0 r14 (full feature) and ran them through DTOX. It didnt work. Both encodes dropped audio.
I ran my Parallels VM with WinXP on it and ripped both DVDs with DVD Fab (Main feature only). Guess what? It works!!!
petvas wrote:The Audio problem is clearly a bug in Handbrake. MTR has NOTHING to do with this!
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

Well, what do you want to prove now? I dont get it

It seemed logical at the time of writing to say what I said. I still believe it is a Handbrake Bug, because the same DVDs can be encoded with Visual Hub...

Using DVD Fab seems to be a workaround...
davidhj

audio doesn't work

Post by davidhj »

I have looked at the many threads related to audio and it seems the audio is a major problem and it certainly has been for me-- I am only a casual user-- but I have tried a number of the workarounds in this thread-- nothing helps consistently-- and I don't know how to do 'command lines'-- I have been trying to simply use the control panel with the software-

Seems like the casual user can not use this software-- the audio problem seems pervasive--- and indeed a bug-- any ETA for fixing it so the software will work more predictably
Thanks
David
petvas
Experienced

Re: audio doesn't work

Post by petvas »

davidhj wrote:I have looked at the many threads related to audio and it seems the audio is a major problem and it certainly has been for me-- I am only a casual user-- but I have tried a number of the workarounds in this thread-- nothing helps consistently-- and I don't know how to do 'command lines'-- I have been trying to simply use the control panel with the software-

Seems like the casual user can not use this software-- the audio problem seems pervasive--- and indeed a bug-- any ETA for fixing it so the software will work more predictably
Thanks
David
I wouldnt go so far to say that Handbrake cannot be used by the casual user. Handbrake is by far the best solution for converting DVDs to Apple TV. The problem occurs by 15% of the DVDs (thats my experience at least). I have found that the workarounds solved almost all problems.
If you have access to Windows, get DVD Fab and rip your DVDs with it and then test. Up until now it has worked perfectly for me. I cant say that it is the perfect workaround because I have to test it more first.

As for a fix, well I think that its difficult to say. Its such a complicated issue and nobody can really say when it occurs. Noone can reproduce the problem by following specific actions...I don't see any pattern here.
ActiveFan

Post by ActiveFan »

It seems a lot of the discussion on this problem is regarding how a commercial DVD is ripped, but i experience this problem mostly on self-made DVDs.

I have ripped hundreds of commercial DVDs (mostly with DVDDecryptor on the PC) and rarley see the problem, but i do have about 200 various hand made DVDs using a variety of software such as Toast, TMPGEncoder, extracted Tivo recordings, DVD-Recorder DVDs, etc, and i experience the audio drop out about 15% of the time on these titles.

How can this be resolved?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Once Again...

MTR 3.0 r14d (Full Disc...see trend yet?)

and this:

./HandBrakeCLI -i /New\ Downloads/MR_MRS_SMITH_WS/ -t 1 -w 720 -l 304 -m -e x264 -b 3000 -r 23.976 -E facc -a 1 -B 160 -R 44.1 -6 6ch -o /New\ Downloads/MrandMrsSmith.mp4 -v

...at least I get convert my collection while debunking issues!
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

Well, I found a good workaround as I said and If you have the chance, try it! DVD Fab is a great program for Windows and everything I ripped with it so far works perfectly.
davidhj

Post by davidhj »

so maybe someone can tell me (the casual user) how to enter the CLI on my MAC
thanks

[quote="Cavalicious"][quote="petvas"]I dont think that the CLI solves the issues we have. It improves the situation though. I tried encoding Mr & Mrs Smith and Hart's War but audio drops. I still have to find a way to encode both films...[/quote]

Once Again...

MTR 3.0 r14d (Full Disc...see trend yet?)

and this:

./HandBrakeCLI -i /New\ Downloads/MR_MRS_SMITH_WS/ -t 1 -w 720 -l 304 -m -e x264 -b 3000 -r 23.976 -E facc -a 1 -B 160 -R 44.1 -6 6ch -o /New\ Downloads/MrandMrsSmith.mp4 -v

...at least I get convert my collection while debunking issues![/quote]
ActiveFan

Post by ActiveFan »

Well, one problem here, these DVDs have all been ripped years ago. I have them in VIDEO_TS files on a media server. Would burning DVDs and then re-ripping have any affect? Doesnt seem like it. Isnt' there anything i can run them through off the hard drive to fix these errors?
pmoc

Post by pmoc »

The results of my tests are very confusing:

./HandBrakeCLI -i /users/philippe/desktop/MATRIX/VIDEO_TS -o /users/philippe/desktop/matrix.mp4 -b 2000 -e x264 -m -R 48 -p -v -s 1 -6 6ch
WORKS

./HandBrakeCLI -i /users/philippe/desktop/MATRIX/VIDEO_TS -o /users/philippe/desktop/matrix.mp4 -b 2000 -2 -e x264 -m -R 48 -p -v -s 1 -6 6ch -x bframes=6:ref=3:b-rdo=1:direct=auto:subme=6:trellis=1:analyse=p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,p4x4:me=umh:no-dct-decimate=1:bime=1:weightb=1:mixed-refs=1:no-fast-pskip=1
WORKS

./HandBrakeCLI -i /users/philippe/desktop/MATRIX/VIDEO_TS -o /users/philippe/desktop/matrix.mp4 -b 2000 -2 -d -e x264 -m -R 48 -p -v -s 1 -6 6ch
DOESN'T WORK

Meanwhile, I followed Petvas advice and ripped Matrix using DVD Fab. This didn't change anything, encoding failed with the same error (Encoding: task 2 of 2, 83.22 % (8.18 fps, avg 13.57 fps, ETA 00h40m26s)[15:49:46] sync: adding 50 ms of silence for track 80bd)

To me, this proves that the problem comes from x264 and its options and not from MTR although the way the DVD is ripped could have an impact on the x264 bug I guess.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Philippe.
davidhj

Post by davidhj »

Version 0.7.1 RESOLVED ALL RANDOM AUDIO failures (my experience was about 15% of DVDs had audio failures with handbrake's latest versions.

I was able to get audio without any elaborate workarounds in CLI whatsoever on version 0.7.1

Version 0.8.0b1 obviously is very buggy for audio so I suggest you simply don't use it- (no matter what the developers say)>

Why did the developers release 0.8... or leave it available when the audio problem isd so pronounced as witnessed by the extensive threads in these forums>

Here is the link to handbrake 0.7.1:
http://download.m0k.org/handbrake/
pmoc

Post by pmoc »

I agree with you, I've never had any audio pb with the previous version. This proves, if need be, that current audio problems are related to this beta version of handbrake. But the all purpose of a beta release is to track down the bugs and correct them before a version release, isn't it?

Cheers.
davidhj

Post by davidhj »

I don't think Version 0.8.0b1 was a beta and earlier in this thread (which I had to take the time to look thru to resolve my problem, a developer says they 'don't know why' version 0.8... fails audio at such a high rate but chose to release it as a completed version--- weird for high end developers it seems to me and caused my to waste an tremendous amount of time fooling with the software- I know it is 'free' but still seems unnecessary to put new users thru this when a bug is obviously known based on extensive threads concerning it.