The Hire

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
Da Man
Bright Spark User

The Hire

Post by Da Man »

Does anyone else have the DVD "The Hire" by BMW Films? I am trying to rip and encode each of the 8 films with no luck. The DVD isn't structured like anything else I've seen, and so I'm hoping to stand on the back of some one else's hard work. Thanks in advance. :?:
LinBrake
Experienced

Re: The Hire

Post by LinBrake »

Have you tried the standard solutions like DTOX + Fairmount if Handbrake doesn't work alone?
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

Unfortunately, it's not a copy-protection problem, per se. It's just the structuring of the DVD itself. None of the chapters or title sets matches the eight short films on the DVD. And I can't even see in some cases a combination of any two equaling the lengths I am looking for. Just hoping maybe someone else had the silver bullet already figured out.
El Pablo

Post by El Pablo »

Try using Mac The Ripper to extract each individual film. If I watch the DVD in VLC, select Hostage, then view film, it plays Title 1, Chapter 9. Extract this, and this only, with MTR using Mode/Title - Chapter Extraction. In Handbrake, open file and select the VOB directly, don't open the TS folders.

Hope this helps.

Paul.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

Thanks El Pablo. I'll give this a try this weekend.
icfantv

Post by icfantv »

I'm suffering from the same problem. I was, however, able to extract title 1 chapter 9 (Hostage) as El Pablo states, but I was unable to figure out how he knew it was title 1 chapter 9. If you/anyone could shed some light on that, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

--adam
icfantv

Post by icfantv »

Ok, here's what I've gotten so far:

With MTR 3r14 I've managed to rip and encode with HandBrake, the following, successfully:

Ticker (Title 1, Cell 5)
Beat The Devil (Title 1, Cell 7)
Hostage (Title 1, Cell 9)
Ambush (Title 4, Cell 1)
Chosen (Title 4, Cell 3)
The Follow (Title 4, Cell 4)

MTR is reporting bad sectors with:
Star (Title 4, Cell 5) - I was able to get about 220 MB of ~443MB before it either crashed, or stopped, telling me there were bad sectors.

Powder Keg (I think Title 4, Cell 6) - but it's puking almost immediately so I can't be sure.

If anyone can figure out a way to extract these last two cells, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks,

--adam
Last edited by icfantv on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

I took El Pablo's advice and had zero problems. Seems like you are encountering a problem with either your disk media or drive.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Has anyone tried the dev snapshot with libdvdnav enabled in preferences ( it is off by default ) I would be interested to see if it works on this title.

On the macgui ( and I think the other ui's ) Its turned on in Preferences > Advanced.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

I suppose I could dig it out of the boxes in the basement. In layman's terms, I assume that setting allows handbrake to navigate a DVD's structure with more clarity? Will it bork anything else I'm doing normally (basic DVD encodes)?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Well, so far in testing it navigates problem dvd's better than libdvdread alone. But as always remember its a "dev snapshot" and is off by default.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

I understand perfectly. (Say this in your Homer Simpson Voice) "A dev snapshot means the devs are directly to blame for all cock-ups, whether they are code or user related". Reading this forum and what some newb posters type on it only reinforces this.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

lol, as always well put, concise and to the point. :) Seriously it works great in my testing anyway.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

I'll grab the DVD over the weekend from my basement lair and run it through and let you know. Holler!
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

No dice. I tried both reading the DVD straight from the drive via Handbrake and ripping with MTR, then looking at it with Handbrake. Same issue. If anyone's interested, I could loan them the DVD ro have a peek at what might be going on. Let me know.
Zanzi

Post by Zanzi »

I'm running into the same issue, but on an evil PC. Using DVDfab 6 to import the short videos, in either Full Disc or Main Movie modes, created rips that Handbrake (beta, svn2773) was unable to understand. This is the only DVD which has given this problem.

This isn't that urgent to me, but I thought people might find this information from the PC side interesting.

Aside from this one DVD, Handbrake has been a true delight to use. (It consistently crashes on one or two other DVDs, but that's during the re-encoding itself, not an initial failure--it is still beta code that I'm using, so no big deal.) The development team deserves tremendous credit and respect for making such an amazing program, especially on multiple platforms.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Zanzi wrote:I'm running into the same issue, but on an evil PC. Using DVDfab 6 to import the short videos, in either Full Disc or Main Movie modes, created rips that Handbrake (beta, svn2773) was unable to understand. This is the only DVD which has given this problem.
While I haven't had any problems with DVDFab 6 personally, several people reported issues with DVDFab 6 rips. You may want to rollback to DVDFab 5 (or install it alongside version 6).

Edit: Although with this particular DVD, the issue might not be related to DVDFab 6.