Snow Leopard

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Roger Weir

Snow Leopard

Post by Roger Weir »

Is the Snow Leopard grand central feature likely to be used with new releases of Handbrake? Do the devs think it'll increase speed on multi-core machines?

PS. Great app Handbrake

Thanks

Roger
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Snow Leopard

Post by TedJ »

You'll find that libx264, which handles the video encoding, is already multi-threaded and optimised for up to 8 cores so I doubt Grand Central support will be a high priority.
Crush

Post by Crush »

What about OpenCL? If I understand it correctly, it taps into the video card to help out with processor intensive tasks.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

GIven the current state of OpenCL, I suspect it'll be atleast a year before anyone knows if it'll be worth the development time.
Crush

Post by Crush »

s55 wrote:GIven the current state of OpenCL, I suspect it'll be atleast a year before anyone knows if it'll be worth the development time.
Ahh, that's disappointing to here :(

Thanks for the heads up!
TysonEdwards

Post by TysonEdwards »

A year?
What makes you think that that is a real figure?

OpenCL is roughly equivalent to CUDA, and we have seen that CUDA has nice performance benefits when it comes to video encoding.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Perhaps because these guys are developers who maintain close ties to the team behind the most highly respected FOSS H264 encoder on the market?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

TysonEdwards wrote:OpenCL is roughly equivalent to CUDA, and we have seen that CUDA has nice performance benefits when it comes to video encoding.
At the expense of quality, however.
L255J
Novice

Post by L255J »

Rodeo wrote:
TysonEdwards wrote:OpenCL is roughly equivalent to CUDA, and we have seen that CUDA has nice performance benefits when it comes to video encoding.
At the expense of quality, however.
How come? Please explain how using a graphics processor to help quickly encode a video would hurt the quality.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Mostly because the CUDA-based apps that are turning out "amazing performance" are actually doing very low-quality encodes and roughly virtually the same speeds could be realized *without* CUDA on equivalent processors. Even more simply, CUDA is pretty much smoke-and-mirrors for H.264 encoding outside of motion estimation, where it remains of dubious value from a coding complexity standpoint.

Rodney
chieffun

Post by chieffun »

i hope that handbrake can do a cuda based encoding in the near future, because the most graficcards are much faster than a new cpu.
but i hope that handbrake will not use graficcard only, it should use the cpu and the graficcard, similar to elgato turbo, but with graphiccard instead of the usb dongle.

here are some benchmarks from another site, and i have compared it myself a little bit, my new core i7 is only a few seconds faster compared to a graficcard only encoding (gf8600gt).
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3374&p=5

so, opencl would be a very very cool thing here ;)

regards chief
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Feel free to just ignore everything that has been said in this thread.
CUDA + x264 turned out to be a bust so that's not likely to happen.

Benchmarks don't say much at all. They compare GPU against an extremely old version of x264 and don't match the settings up like-for-like, thus give an unbalanced look at performance.
chieffun

Post by chieffun »

s55 wrote:Feel free to just ignore everything that has been said in this thread.
CUDA + x264 turned out to be a bust so that's not likely to happen.

Benchmarks don't say much at all. They compare GPU against an extremely old version of x264 and don't match the settings up like-for-like, thus give an unbalanced look at performance.
i dont think so, i have compared it with the newest x264 on core i7 and with the newest badaboom cuda conversion on gf8600gt and on a 9600gt, same quality setting (i compared the quality on a few frames with text for example, output size, ...), and the 9600gt is as fast as the core i7.
and opencl will use cpu and graphiccard, so there should be a performance boost ;)
hunterk
Bright Spark User

Post by hunterk »

they must have done some serious optimizing to badaboom, then, because it looked like ass when I tried it.
ric

Post by ric »

s55 wrote:GIven the current state of OpenCL, I suspect it'll be atleast a year before anyone knows if it'll be worth the development time.
With Snow Leopard coming out this Friday, I wanted to reinvigorate this thread. I have a new MacBook Pro with 3GHz Core2 Duo and 4GB RAM but my encodes (especially TV series) are taking more hours than I have to spare. I am really hoping that 10.6 + OpenCL + two GPUs will significantly (>25%) decrease my encoding times.

Is this a matter of Handbrake supporting OpenCL or x264? I know HB devs have opted not to accept donations (I tried to donate after my first successful encode) but I'd be happy to make a donation (and start a incentive drive) if in x264. If this is the case, can someone point me to the x264 discussion forum? I respect the HB developers position on OSS, but I also know a little capitalism can go a long way, especially in this economy.

Thanks for your consideration...

Ric
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

OpenCL support, if possible would have to be implemented within the encoder libraries themselves.

http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html
bacaramac

Post by bacaramac »

Hi everyone, I am more interested in understanding if the dev's have seen any issues related to Snow Leopard and HB compatibility. I am planning to install SL this friday and hope all goes well as I use HB regularly.

Thanks in advance.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

There hasn't been any testing. From the few reports we have had, sounds like it all works ok.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Hb runs fine on Snow Leopard. Compiles fine in my intitial testing as well (svn head). Building from within xcode on SL is borked. Just first impressions.

For the most part HB is completely SL compatible. BTW, no major speed bump to be had using hb with SL over Leopard, contrary to the rubbish posted above. Just my .02 on initial use, and yes this is running 64 bit HB.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

Dyna-

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the OSX operating system side, but have you gone under Preferences -> General -> and checked the boxes to activate both OpenCL and Grand Central Optimizer? I have noticed at least a 70% speed boost. Let me know if you need a hand.

In all honesty, I pity the Devs for the next few weeks. Is it possible to simply not accept a posting in a thread if it includes OpenCL or Grand Central anywhere in it?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

70%? That's nothing compared to what I get with the turbo button on my keyboard. :roll:
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Don't knock the turbo button! It was Real !!!
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

Does that bring back memories of my dear beloved 386 SX 16 mhz. 20 MB hard drive. That's just a bit bigger than a Handbrake activity log. Heh, heh. Good luck guys. It's going to be a long couple months.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

ROFLMAO. !! As usual ... classic. ;)
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

I was originally going to just go with the first half, but I felt with the noobs that keep coming here pounding on about OpenCL and GC, too many people would take it seriously. People still call Handbrake a DVD ripper, so this might take awhile.

Besides, lets be honest. JBRJake has a browser window he keeps open on his computer with the Admin feature set to ban me. One wrong move is all he needs to click the 'accept' box.

(JBRJake begrudgingly moves mouse arrow away from window and goes back to programming in the latest decomb upgrade)