SVN Build 11 April

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

petvas
Experienced

SVN Build 11 April

Post by petvas »

The latest SVN build has the AAC 5.1 option disabled. The CLI version also. Was that intended or is it a bug?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: SVN Build 11 April

Post by jbrjake »

petvas wrote:The latest SVN build has the AAC 5.1 option disabled. The CLI version also. Was that intended or is it a bug?
Every single svn commit includes a comment explaining what it does. Try reading them before asking if things are bugs.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/changeset/494
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

I didnt know the url, you could be a bit more polite...

Anyway, thanks for the info
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Its all listed on the website ;)

Read first, ask questions later.
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

Even after reading the docs, I cannot see where it says that the option is grayed out. It only says that the DPLII is being implemented in the CLI but not on the GUI.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

./HandBrakeCLI -h would show you the new syntax for audio mixes.

Or build a new SVN and use the GUI.
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

nightstrm wrote:./HandBrakeCLI -h would show you the new syntax for audio mixes.

Or build a new SVN and use the GUI.
Thanks!
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

sr55 wrote:Its all listed on the website ;)
There's a reason petvas didn't know the URL. URLs for the trac and everything within are Easter Eggs.

There are two primary pages most of us are aware of, the forums page and the main Handbrake page. Links to the trac and everything within aren't linked at either.

Even the Docs link at the main Handbrake page lacks any direct mention of /trac.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

deckeda wrote:There are two primary pages most of us are aware of, the forums page and the main Handbrake page. Links to the trac and everything within aren't linked at either.

Even the Docs link at the main Handbrake page lacks any direct mention of /trac.
Petvas is using a development build. The trac is linked on the Development page of the blog, and explained as the way the software is managed. Plus, the instructions for building from the svn expressly say we do not offer support of any kind. So why would we have it linked from the Documentation page, which is for people needing help with released, supported builds--or from the main blog page, when it's got nothing to do with the user end of the software? Once the user documentation is ready, that will be linked from the Docs page, but not the main Trac page...

It doesn't seem to me like it takes an easter egg hunt to check the development page when using a development build...especially before posting in a development forum that has an announcement which reads in part:
This forum is intended for use by current and potential developers of the HandBrake source code to exchange information, ideas, and solutions to problems with HandBrake.

It is not intended for use as an end-user support forum - while consumers of HandBrake are welcome and encouraged to read the information presented herein (and participate where they can add value)
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

Well, I didnt ask for your support!!! It was just a simple question. Please dont be so oversensitive about it!
If you feel I wasted your time, you could simply choose not to answer!
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

petvas - Don't take it personally. That last comment wasn't aimed at you anyway, I don't think.

It's a bit frustrating when someone's obviously been able to find and compile the latest source, but doesn't go the extra mile to then actually read the release notes about stuff, and posts asking for help instead. The announcement at the top of this forum does actually mention that this isn't a support forum, too.

There have been an awful lot of people not bothering to read anything before posting recently, and it's quite draining having to respond. Again, this isn't aimed at you, it's just a fact. There's a lot of pent up frustration because of this, and we all let it out sometimes :D

Anyway, long story short - as has been mentioned, you can follow stuff on trac, to see how it's going. If you find something that, for instance, may be a bug, and isn't covered on trac - that's the kind of thing we'd like in this forum, I think. (And if you can patch it yourself, that'd be awesome ;))
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

Firstly, I agree petvas shouldn't have posted a direct question about an SVN build. But since he did, now what? One option is to find a way to perhaps lessen the chance of occurance in the future, for everyone's benefit. I made an observation to that end.
jbrjake wrote:The trac is linked on the Development page of the blog, ...
Ah, now I see it, thanks. Listed apparently not in order of importance, given how often people are admonished to check it out. It's unfortunate if anyone considers the website above criticism --- which is the message I'm getting loud and clear today.
jbrjake wrote: ... why would we have it linked from the Documentation page, which is for people needing help with released, supported builds--or from the main blog page, when it's got nothing to do with the user end of the software?
Is this a trick question? The trac is full of useful information for end-users, even if only indirectly. It's also my feeling that because of the openness around here and nature of the mission there are finer divisions between "consumer end user", "Beta tester" and "contributor/developer."

Your sig's invitation to help shape the official Handbrake Guide is an example of that. I'd intended to spend some time tonight reading what you have so far and seeing what I might be able to contribute, but instead I'm here explaining what I wrote in a thread about adding long-term value. And you say you're frustrated? :wink:
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

Oh well, I dont take it personally, I just find it ridiculous for people to get frustrated by a single question. As I said before, nobody had to answer. Someone could just point me at the url which truly I havent seen before (my bad). Anyway, lets forget it
aur0ra

Post by aur0ra »

petvas wrote:Oh well, I dont take it personally, I just find it ridiculous for people to get frustrated by a single question. As I said before, nobody had to answer. Someone could just point me at the url which truly I havent seen before (my bad). Anyway, lets forget it
If you are a true developer (i.e. one that develops AND maintains code) then you are very familiar with the fact that you get asked the same questions over and over.

As a true developer you try to anticipate those questions by answering them within release notes or within comments to the code itself. There is an assumption that if you download the development builds and post within the development forum then you are aware of what I just said.

jbrjake pointed you in the direction to find the answer and provided advice for future questions. I didn't take it as rude at all.

I hope you found the answer to your original question.
baggss

Post by baggss »

petvas wrote:I didnt know the url, you could be a bit more polite...
He is being polite, don't [Censored] him off...
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Can we all agree to drop this thread now? I don't think it's doing much good to the blood pressure of anyone involved, and the original issue was answered ages ago :)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Easy solution to stop the bickering match here. Locked Thread.

Problem solved ;)