How to rip my DVDs with good quality?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
oO_KIWI_Oo

How to rip my DVDs with good quality?

Post by oO_KIWI_Oo »

Hi @all,

I want to archivate my DVD Collection and I am unsure which options I should use. I want to have no visible quality reduce in the picture for best upscaling to 1080p (in the future I use a HD/FULL HD projector for viewing). I always include two audio tracks (german and english). I tried several settings, but I am still unsure which to take because I have no suitable test equipment. I think "Constant Quality Rate" is the option I should use but I am unsure which quality level I should choose. So I want to ask someone who has some experience with handbrake ;) I tried 70% with Star Wars Episode I and two Audio Tracks with AAC. This resulted in a filesize of 5,6GB. Do you think less than 70% will also do?
Last edited by oO_KIWI_Oo on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: How to rip my DVDs with good quality?

Post by TedJ »

It's hard to give specific advice without knowing what you'll be using for playback.

The constant quality preset is a good place to start, although 70% is probably too high. The consensus is that you should be able to achieve perceptual transparency at between 59-62%.
oO_KIWI_Oo

Post by oO_KIWI_Oo »

Thanks for your advice :)

As I mentioned: In the future I will use a FULL HD projector to view the movies. As playback I think I will use a HTPC mit VLC or something similar. Maybe a BluRay-Player if it can read m4v files. So the movie will be upscaled to 1080p. Do you think 62% will do for a good image quality on FULL HD equipment?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

oO_KIWI_Oo wrote:Thanks for your advice :)

As I mentioned: In the future I will use a FULL HD projector to view the movies. As playback I think I will use a HTPC mit VLC or something similar. Maybe a BluRay-Player if it can read m4v files. So the movie will be upscaled to 1080p. Do you think 62% will do for a good image quality on FULL HD equipment?
All lot of us play our Handbrake-encoded files on FULL HD devices. It really depends on how well your device/TV upscales the image I guess.

You don't need to go higher than 63% though (and even lower if you ever start encoding HD sources).
oO_KIWI_Oo

Post by oO_KIWI_Oo »

OK, Tanks. I think I use Constant Quality @62% :)

Then another question: I have some interleaced video material (TV series on DVD). For an encoding test I used decomb but I still can see the lines (mostly around the mouth of speaking people). Then I used deinterleace (slowest) where I get better results. Did I do something wrong because I have read that for deinterleacing decomb works best..? Which options should I use to get the best results for the TV series (in this case Star Trek the Next Generation)?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

...if you don't like decomb's default threshold settings, they are eminently configurable.
oO_KIWI_Oo

Post by oO_KIWI_Oo »

jbrjake wrote:...if you don't like decomb's default threshold settings, they are eminently configurable.
Ah, thanks :) Where do I find the options to configure the decomb filter?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

oO_KIWI_Oo wrote:
jbrjake wrote:...if you don't like decomb's default threshold settings, they are eminently configurable.
Ah, thanks :) Where do I find the options to configure the decomb filter?
http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/HandBrakeGuide

Shouldn't be too difficult to find from there.
redlenses

Post by redlenses »

For ripping TV-Series DVDs for playback on my PS3 via PS3MediaServer I use:

MKV File
Detelecine, Decomb, H.264, Framerate 29.97 (same as source has MKV bug), Constant Quality 62%, 5.1 AC3

ref=3:mixed-refs=1:bframes=6:weightb=1:direct=auto:b-pyramid=1:me=umh:subq=9:analyse=all:8x8dct=1:trellis=1:nr=150:no-fast-pskip=1:psy-rd=1,1

This encoding takes a loooong time, but the quality is great.

I then take the MKV and repackage it to M2TS (mkv2vob) - this allows me to ffwd and rewind seamlessly while streaming.
oO_KIWI_Oo

Post by oO_KIWI_Oo »

Thanks for help :)

Another question: I have ripped ab DVD and the output (mp4) is larger den 4GB. VLC does not play this file. Do I have to use the "large file size" checkbox for videos < 4GB?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

oO_KIWI_Oo wrote:Thanks for help :)

Another question: I have ripped ab DVD and the output (mp4) is larger den 4GB. VLC does not play this file. Do I have to use the "large file size" checkbox for videos < 4GB?
You can, but enabling this checkbox may have implications depending on your playback device. For example, they will still work with an iPhone, but I believe some iPods will refuse to playback the file.