Advanced Bluray/HDDVD Workflow & Features Discussion

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
pemberto

Re: Advanced Bluray/HDDVD Workflow & Features Discussion

Post by pemberto »

Nate,

Thanks very much for the response. I'll drop the quality % down as suggested.

Cheers,
Pemberto
the-oz-man

Post by the-oz-man »

I'm looking for help with new BD+ discs. For instance "Taken" and "Mirrors" both have this same issue with splitting the movie up into different files. Using my current process provided by nightstream, you only end up with about 35 minutes of the movie. I can do the same process for each file, but how do I join these for a seemless end product?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

the-oz-man wrote:I'm looking for help with new BD+ discs. For instance "Taken" and "Mirrors" both have this same issue with splitting the movie up into different files. Using my current process provided by nightstream, you only end up with about 35 minutes of the movie. I can do the same process for each file, but how do I join these for a seemless end product?
If eac3to cannot properly read the playlist and automatically join the files for you, you'll probably have to wait for an update to correct this issue. I don't have either the movies you've mentioned (although the preview of Taken shown at the theater I went to before Star Trek has me pretty interested in picking it up), but I've had no problems with my workflow and joining multiple mt2s files via eac3to.
gmanvbva

Post by gmanvbva »

I've been using Clown_BD for the initial eac3to and tsmuxer portions to create a single m2ts out of the ripped BR. Then using HB to convert that m2ts to mkv (h.264/AC3). Pretty straight forward process but it takes a fair amount of time for the rip+clown_bd (extract/mux)+HB (encode).
the-oz-man

Post by the-oz-man »

gmanvbva wrote:I've been using Clown_BD for the initial eac3to and tsmuxer portions to create a single m2ts out of the ripped BR. Then using HB to convert that m2ts to mkv (h.264/AC3). Pretty straight forward process but it takes a fair amount of time for the rip+clown_bd (extract/mux)+HB (encode).
I've used that same process too and found the exact same results from above with just a few titles that won't "join" together. Have you ever had any success with Clown BD/Handbrake process and subtitles? I've tried Kill Bill, Kung Fu Hustle, and Curse of the Golden Flower and none of these will successfully add in the subtitles with the Handbrake process. Perfect video and audio, but no subtitles.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

the-oz-man wrote:
gmanvbva wrote:I've been using Clown_BD for the initial eac3to and tsmuxer portions to create a single m2ts out of the ripped BR. Then using HB to convert that m2ts to mkv (h.264/AC3). Pretty straight forward process but it takes a fair amount of time for the rip+clown_bd (extract/mux)+HB (encode).
I've used that same process too and found the exact same results from above with just a few titles that won't "join" together. Have you ever had any success with Clown BD/Handbrake process and subtitles? I've tried Kill Bill, Kung Fu Hustle, and Curse of the Golden Flower and none of these will successfully add in the subtitles with the Handbrake process. Perfect video and audio, but no subtitles.
If you wish to do it yourself, you have to have ClownBD include the Subtitle track you need within the file you create, but you don't use it like you do with a DVD and HB. If you do it this way, once the m2ts file is created, look in the temp folder ClownBD creates and find the subtitle track. This needs to be converted to an SRT file (takes a very long time), I belive in the first post in this thread it tells you the programs you need. But, its not easy. You then use Subcleaner, the Subler to add this file to the .m4v you create in HB. In iTunes, just select the subtitle track in the menu that pops you when playing a movie.

Thats the hard way.

The easy way, just search for the srt file online, there are plenty of Subtitle sites that have all you need. Again find the file, put it through subcleaner, and add with Subler. The hardest part about this is finding the one that matches, first clue is search for one that says, Blu-Ray rip or HD or 720.

I always do the subler part with the file already in iTunes. I locate the movie in the iTunes folder, add the subtitles and then save only, then test it. If its good, then save optomised, this helps with streaming I belive. Then sync it with you ATV etc.

Nate
maestro371
Novice

Post by maestro371 »

CrisisDog, on your stuttering VC-1 files, use a program called "vc1conv" (http://www.w6rz.net/) to convert the framerate to 23.976 before re-muxing it with tsMuxer. Also, select "Change fps" to 24000/1001 in tsMuxer on the video track when performing the mux. I've been using this on my HD-DVD titles for the last few months and it works pretty well. I've only had one title that was un-workable. That was "Dog Day Afternoon" and the problem is a result of the audio file (don't remember the details right now, but it has something to do with it being mono and eac3to not being able to accommodate it).

I ran into my first HD-DVD/h.264 title (Stardust). Should be interesting to see how this works out; I'd like to do HB at 1280, but the h.264 video is 29.97. Not sure if just selecting a framerate of 23.976 in HB will be sufficient. I'm guessing not. I tried changing it in tsMuxer alone, but that causes HB to generate a lot of errors. I'll report back.
peterjcat
Novice

Post by peterjcat »

eac3to also removes pulldown flags from any HD-DVD video, whether VC1 or H.264. It's also much faster than vc1conv, and does the video conversion at the same time as converting eg DD+ to AC3. I haven't found a reason to use any program other than eac3to and tsMuxeR to get files that Handbrake will convert perfectly to 720p24 for film-based HD DVD/BD material. (Leaving aside chapters, subtitles and tags.)
maestro371
Novice

Post by maestro371 »

I'm beginning to understand that eac3to is a lot more than it's name implies. I'm a little flummoxed on the parameters, though. I'm using it to demux and strip pulldowns on a video right now; that seems pretty straightforward (eac3to feature1.evo+feature2.evo movie.mkv -stripPulldowns), but how do I automatically specify the conversion of the audio from DD+ to AC3 at the same time? I've been staring at the help screens, but I'm not getting much from them.

It'll be nice not to have to use evodemux and vc1conv once I get it figured out.

EDIT: n/m, I found a wiki page that helps: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/How_to_Use
happysin

Post by happysin »

So I used ClownBD and got what appears to be a good M2TS conversion of my movie, but I'm getting a stack dump from HB trying to convert that M2TS to MKV. I posted the exact dump in the Windows support forum, but I thought people in this thread might have seen stuff like that before. Any suggestions?
svoboda77

Post by svoboda77 »

I am encoding Full HD (1920x1080) mp4 files using this setting (source is bluray m2ts file):

Code: Select all

-f mp4 -e x264 -p -b 8192 -a 1 -E ac3 -2 -4 --deinterlace=slower -x level=41:cabac=1:ref=3:mixed-refs=1:bframes=5:weightb=1:b-adapt=1:direct=auto:b-pyramid=1:me=umh:subme=9:analyse=all:8x8dct=1:trellis=2:psy-rd=1.0,0.2:vbv-bufsize=30000:vbv-maxrate=40000:threads=auto -v
Is this the best possible quality to playback on MacBook Pro with 30" external LCD monitor? Would you suggest changing some options? If yes, which ones and why? Thank you!
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

For "best possible quality" you should not be using ABR. Use CQ instead. -q .59 is generally considered transparent for HD sources. You shouldn't need the vbv settings for playback on a MacBook. Setting the level is unnecessary. b-adapt=2 would be better. Personally, I find trellis to be a waste of time. Others will probably disagree with me on that. But if time is not an issue, you may want to keep trellis and toss in me=tesa as well :mrgreen:
svoboda77

Post by svoboda77 »

Thank you for suggestions! :)
boots2x

Post by boots2x »

Forgive me if this is a dumdum question... I just compiled the latest Handbrake SVN and it <APPEARS> to be ripping the my test BR Movie .m2ts quite happily. I had a poke around the Picture options and could see video and hear audio, so it appears that everything is being de-coded correctly...

I followed nightstrm's workflow through to the point where I was going to mux everything back together when the XTools download completed and so I could compile HB. My understanding of what I'd achieved to that point was that I'd extracted the audio, video, chapters and subtitles to separate files. The audio and video was remuxed and the next steps were to put the Subtitles and Chapters back with the correct timing.

So - my question is - is this workflow a stop-gap until the next official release of Handbrake? Or are there aspects of it I should get warm and fuzzy with?

THANKS!

James
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

While I haven't ripped a Bluray/HDDVD in a month, I do not believe the dev team has made any additions that would change my workflow (i.e. HB recognizing chapter markers in m2ts). That said, I honestly didn't follow the HB development timeline too closely over the past few weeks (but I'm back now!). I've got a few more BR discs that I need to try and rip (Enemy of the State Bluray was giving eac3to problems last time I tried), and if I find anything I'll be sure to update this thread.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

nightstrm is correct. HB does not yet handle BD chapter markers or subtitles and won't for the next release. If you need these things, then follow this workflow. If all you are interested in is audio and video, handbrake can handle the raw m2ts file from the BD. Though if it's one of those movies that is split across multiple m2ts files, you will have to splice them together somehow.
DigitalFool

Post by DigitalFool »

nightstrm wrote: 5.) Use suprip (Windows) to convert subtitle track into SRT file (via OCR... lots of hand editing required; can also try to find online).
Wow...I've been working on my first Blu-ray one for over an hour and this is going to suck for the rest of my Blu-rays. I think suBrip (for DVDs) is way better.
Is there another option or perhaps even a collection of .srt or .sub files that I could download for Blu-rays?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

With the new Presets now in full force, I have found that dropping the quality down to RF22 or 57% is giving me a much smaller and better quality result than with the old AppleTV Preset. However I was quite happy with the file sizes I was getting before, so I upped the quality to RF21 or 59%, wow what a difference it now makes.

Before with my rips I was finding that the depth of field that the original Blu-ray disc had was gone to some extend. With the new Preset as RF21, I have found that the image is much closer to the original file, and the depth of field is much much better. This is a lot easier to see on something like 'A Bugs Life'. The color seems better, the picture is far sharper, etc. etc.

So far the only rip I have had to drop all the way down to RF23 is Pride and Glory, as that movie is way to grainy for its own good, and my file size at RF21 was 6.5gig at 720p! I'm used to seeing file sizes between 2gig and 4gig with RF21.

Nate
DigitalFool

Post by DigitalFool »

Thanks, I did come across that site but was unsure if it was a reliable source. I'm happy with the results so far.

I do have another question regarding the chapters part. I'm using mkv and was wondering how do I get the chapters from the text file to work with Handbrake as of right now I'm only getting the one chapter after remuxing the audio/video. I recall reading that this was not going to be supported, but I've seen the discussions in here about the chapter file from eac3to being used. Is there an additional app required for Windows to slipstream them in?

I use VMC with MB and use various plugins to pull the subtitles in, but don't think there is anything available for chapters. What can a Windows user, if anytyhing, do for chapter support?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

DigitalFool wrote:
Thanks, I did come across that site but was unsure if it was a reliable source. I'm happy with the results so far.

I do have another question regarding the chapters part. I'm using mkv and was wondering how do I get the chapters from the text file to work with Handbrake as of right now I'm only getting the one chapter after remuxing the audio/video. I recall reading that this was not going to be supported, but I've seen the discussions in here about the chapter file from eac3to being used. Is there an additional app required for Windows to slipstream them in?

I use VMC with MB and use various plugins to pull the subtitles in, but don't think there is anything available for chapters. What can a Windows user, if anytyhing, do for chapter support?
While I generally like the quality of the srt files on that website, I will say that I've received quite a few browser warnings when navigating that page of malicious content. So, use at your own risk.

As for your problem, you can definitely get the chapter listing using eac3to; unfortunately I don't know of a Windows tool to add it to the output file.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it... eac3to might be able to do this for you. Heck, I believe you can use eac3to to take the BR output and convert to MKV. I've never done it, but you may want to look into it.
BucksSaddler
Novice

Post by BucksSaddler »

Hi Guys

You had a look at this: http://www.makemkv.com/. Just run this on my iMac - it rips the Blu Ray to MKV but basically untouched (i.e. no conversion). I've just done it with my Falling Down Blu-Ray, then fed the resultant MKV into HandBrake and worked like a charm. As a bonus the chapter markers were also recognised so I can name them within HandBrake.
My target device is the Apple TV so any movies with a DTS-MA track will still need some conversion with ac3to, etc - but for movies with a True HD track this could be a native Mac OSX one stop shop (as it also strips the AC3 core in the process)
Starhawk
Experienced

Post by Starhawk »

It looks like one "gotcha" on OSX is that your BD drive has to have the ability to write something.
On Mac OS X access depends only on the drive type. If the drive is a read-only device that can't write to any media ( either CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or BD-ROM) then access is blocked. The rationale is that direct access is dangerous and application may request drive to perform any action, like eject the disc (one really can't erase a disc in a read-only device). However, if the drive is capable of writing any media (for example Blu-ray reader that can write CD and DVD media) then all access is allowed to any user. This policy is beyond our comprehension - our only explanation is that weed is really easily available to designers in Cupertino, CA. Practically that means that if you have any drive that is read-only device, then it will not be accessible to MakeMKV. Luckily most modern drives usually are combo drives that can write at least CD media - these drives are accessible to MakeMKV. Even if the drive is not accessible there is a way to enable access to all drives - that requires changes to the system plist file and rebooting the system. Please see our forum for details.
http://www.makemkv.com/osxmmc/
ssj2_goha
Enlightened

Post by ssj2_goha »

Well then wouldn't the external drive from fastmac.com work fine? Becuase it CAN write to cd's and dvd's, and it's only $109!
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

ssj2_goha wrote:Well then wouldn't the external drive from fastmac.com work fine? Becuase it CAN write to cd's and dvd's, and it's only $109!
I have this one, stay away from it for ripping Blu-ray, it's only 60% successful. Same as the External LiteOn. I believe the Fastmac uses the Matsui (or something like that) drive, that is not great at reading discs, and is known for its troubles. As a small drive to carry around its great.

The only one I have found is 99.5% successful is the LG GGCH20L. This will read discs that the other 2 I have mentioned won't. I brought mine from OWC, already housed as an external drive. I run it via firewire. Check it out.

I did a lot of testing with these drives, and the LG is the best out there.

Nate