Q on DVD's bought from a rental store.

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
dirkgently

Q on DVD's bought from a rental store.

Post by dirkgently »

Hey,

First time poster, though I've used Handbrake to rip quite a few DVD's for my iPod, and I have a question.

I recently rented this terribly wonderful film called Versus. Since the disc was in good condition, and I didn't feel like hunting for it online, I just bought the disc from Blockbuster. Now I want it for my iPod. I've heard horror stories about rental DVDs and ripping programs, and was just wondering if there was any truth to them.

I am using a MacBook, Mac OS X version 10.4.9, with [Censored] DVD-R UJ-857D, just in case such information is needed.

So do I have any worries about using handbrake, or should I just go and put it on my iPod?

Thanks.
baggss

Post by baggss »

What sort of stories? I've not heard that rental DVDs have any other protection than regular store bought ones. If you simply mean the condition of the DVD itself, well, you bought it.

Now I have heard stories about MAT-[Censored]-A DVD drives though....
dirkgently

Post by dirkgently »

baggss wrote:What sort of stories? I've not heard that rental DVDs have any other protection than regular store bought ones. If you simply mean the condition of the DVD itself, well, you bought it....
I never got the details I just heard (friend of a friend kinda thing) that it somehow messed with his DVD drive or something like that. Seems a bit ridiculous, but I like my MacBook, and better safe than sorry, right?
baggss

Post by baggss »

I've had no issues with movies/videos I have rented and ripped.... 8)
dirkgently

Post by dirkgently »

Ok, thanks for the help. And the great program.
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

But DO pay attention to what baggss mentioned about your MacBook's [Censored] optical drive.

Some drives rip better than others (i.e. it's not all up to the ripping software) and the ripdifferent.com forums have scads of ugly news about these drives.

YMMV, but if you rip a lot of movies don't be surprised if a nice drive in a FireWire case is in your future. Search ripdifferent.com to learn more.
baggss

Post by baggss »

YMMV?
dirkgently

Post by dirkgently »

Your Mileage May Vary?

That I may not have the standard experience as most people?

I don't rip much, just what I want for my iPod if I've already got the DVD (not alot, there is only so many movies I want for my iPod. Mostly Fight Club, some rare stuff, and this movie Versus. Most other stuff I am not too worried about unless it's really expensive or a rare movie.
baggss

Post by baggss »

dirkgently wrote:Your Mileage May Vary?
Ah, thanks!
dirkgently

Post by dirkgently »

Google is your friend.
Atleast it seems to be so. Still, I wouldn't get in a van with it if it offered me candy.

Also, I can't seem to find anything on ripdifferent (but I may have been looking in the wrong place) but Google seems to be fulfilling (that is it's filled with full) is friend-duties and telling me about problems.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Search for [Censored]. Here is one pertinent thread...
dirkgently

Post by dirkgently »

I did. I think I just searched in the wrong place. I used the one on the front page, as opposed to the forums. Thanks.
mike693

Post by mike693 »