my Xbox 360 wont play Apple universal encoded from Handbrake

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
MrMister111
Enlightened

my Xbox 360 wont play Apple universal encoded from Handbrake

Post by MrMister111 »

Im busy converting my DVDs and videos for use on my iPods (Touch, Classic, nano) and for archiving, and for watching on Xbox 360. I encode on my Intel iMac v10.5.6

Ive got my Xbox 360 connected to my PC upstairs via Windows Media Player 11, it connects fine and I can see the videos I have.

however videos Ive converted using Handbrake on iMac, using Apple Universal settings, it cannot see, they come out as .m4v files but the 360 wont see them in the folder.

According to this it can play .m4v files http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/n ... ckfaq.aspx

Can anyone help please, I use the standard preset of Apple Universal and dont change anything. I know there is a Xbox 360 preset, but I do not want to do a encode serperate for all devices, ie I want to do Apple Universal , and then be able to play on iPod, and Xbox 360

Ok update on the site above it states AAC 2 channel LC, I'm sorry but Im totally confused by all video formats, containers etc etc, thats why I love HB and its presets, so on the Apple Universal what is different on what the 360 can play please, so I can save it and make a new preset to play both all iPods and 360

cheers
wzp

Re: my Xbox 360 wont play Apple universal encoded from Handbrake

Post by wzp »

I'm streaming from a Mac using Rivet. I've not had any problems getting the XBox 360 to see m4v, but you could try changing the extension to mp4. The same video plays for me with either extension.

Have you installed the required software update (Xbox Live/Game Marketplace/Other/Optional Media Update)? The Xbox 360 won't play aac/mp4 files without it.

However, I have had very inconsistent luck with HandBrake unless I use the Xbox 360 preset. Using just a simple parameter list, or the Apple Universal, some videos play and others won't. The ones that won't usually have problems like the video goes black. Sometimes sound drops out, sometimes it's way out of sync. Unfortunately, there appears to be a bug in HandBrake. With the Xbox360 preset, HandBrake aborts on some of my videos. See my post just previous to yours. I can encode the same videos with EyeTV successfully.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

I presume I have the update as I can play other videos eg DivX, avi etc.

Ive tried changing the extension to .mp4 but no luck still wont play them.

Im a bit disappointed on this, as I was hoping to be able to do Apple and Xbox 360 all in one encode.

Is this a fault of Handbrake or Xbox 360? you say its hit and miss if they play so i can only presume thats its handbrake encoding fault, is there going to be a fix? is it a known bug?

Im a noob on all video formats etc, so what is the difference in the Xbox 360 and Apple universal preset then? apart from higher stereo settings and bitrate?

cheers
wzp

Post by wzp »

No, the Optional Media Update is specifically for AAC and MP4 content. If you didn't install it, you don't have it.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

wzp wrote:No, the Optional Media Update is specifically for AAC and MP4 content. If you didn't install it, you don't have it.
Cant find it on Live , but I found it on my memory device in settings ie HDD? is this it?
El Pablo

Post by El Pablo »

Regarding the codecs, if you don't have them, you should be prompted to go online and download them when you try playing the files.

You could put a copy on a USB drive or memory stick and try playing it from there? That would rule out the streaming as a problem and narrow it the file.
wzp

Post by wzp »

On mine, it is shows up under System Settings/Memory/Hard Drive/System Items, item name Optional Media Update.

On Xbox Live, it is: Game Marketplace/Browse/O/Optional Media Update

My symptoms were that it would see the files, but when I tried to play them it said it was an unsupported file format and perhaps I needed a software update. It didn't tell me what I needed to install. But, I'm streaming from a Mac, so ymmv. One would think that the files should show up for you, just not be playable if you don't have the media update, but I'm not familiar with the PC software. Since it appears you do have the media update, maybe the issue is with the PC software not presenting them correctly.

You said you encoded with a Mac, didn't you? Maybe you should try installing Rivet (or Connect360) on the Mac and see if that works. That would at least help narrow the problem down. I did have some problems with Rivet in demo mode. I had to name the files with m4v - mp4 didn't work. With the full version, both m4v and mp4 work. The author didn't know what might be causing that symptom.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

I have it on my HDD, when I play off a USB pen drive I get an error code saying cannot play 69-c00d36c4.

What is wrong with the encode? I thought it would play, any help you can give me, as I'm now on hold encoding films as I want them to work on Xbox 360 and Apple gear

cheers
El Pablo

Post by El Pablo »

I searched for the error code you got, and found some posts suggesting re-downloading the codec/media update. Browse to it on your xbox then delete it, then try watching the video. It should prompt you download it again.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

Nope didn't work. Tried exactly what you said and got the same error code as above.

Anything else can try/do? It's frustrating and holding me back on my encodes
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

Anyone help me with encode help or xbox error I'm getting please
Tried the xbox 360 preset and it plays fine on 360 so what is the major difference between lie presets? I cannot see any difference apart from the advanced tabs

cheers
Bling2Ming
Enlightened

Post by Bling2Ming »

what is the major difference between lie presets?
Look towards the audio.

Apple Universal = aac + ac3 passthrough

Xbox 360 = aac only
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

Thanks for that can you now help me choose the correct setting then please. In the audio tab I choose aac but it still doesnt work.

Is it not as simple as that? Is there another tick box/setting I can check to make them both play?

You seem to know the problem so I would be gratefull if you could help more

thanks
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

We need an encode log if we are to guess what settings might be causing the issue.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

Rodeo wrote:We need an encode log if we are to guess what settings might be causing the issue.
Ah ok will get one tomorrow, I thought with me using the exact presets included in handbrake that would be enough.

Cheers
bdkennedy1
Enlightened

Re: my Xbox 360 wont play Apple universal encoded from Handb

Post by bdkennedy1 »

This has been driving my nuts for a year. AC3 passthrough - that's it.
wags1999

Post by wags1999 »

Using Handbrake on PC... the only way I can get the files to show up on my Xbox is to change the extension to .avi... but none of the formats will play! Xbox tells me I have to download the Media Update, but when I say OK, it shows I've already downloaded it. Anyone able to get this to work?
wags1999

Post by wags1999 »

Thanks for the tip, El Pablo. I deleted the Media Update from my Xbox 360, and then re-downloaded it, and now all the videos play! Hurray!!! This has been killing me for quite some time!