Increase sound volume

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ThoOom

Increase sound volume

Post by ThoOom »

Hi,

I'm using Handbrake to see my videos on my iPhone
i would like to increase the sound volume, because it's too low for some movies (and I can't ear anything in the subway or in the street, even if I put the volume to maximum on the iPhone, using the headseat). Other videos are OK, but some movies are especially low in sound.

What can I do ?

Thanks a lot for your support
ThoOom
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Increase sound volume

Post by TedJ »

Boost the DRC for your selected audio track.

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/DynRangeCompression
ThoOom

Post by ThoOom »

Hi,

thx for the reply. I already played with the DRC but it do not change anything. Plus, the DRC works only for AC3 streams and i have some sources in MP3. I'm looking for something to boost the volume, let's say x2 on the whole file (and if possible during the conversion to m4v)

Thx in advance
ThoOom
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

This is not possible in handbrake.
ThoOom

Post by ThoOom »

OK,

thx anyway. Anybody knows a tools to do it on the resulting m4v file itself (like audacity) ?

Thx in advance,
ThoOom
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

I think Subler can adjust audio volume in mp4. You can find more info about Subler in the Tiki Bar.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

You may just need to get a better set of headphones. I live in NYC and most the time have the volume close to max, and I own a set of heavely closed Sennheisers. If your using the ones that came with the iPhone you are at a loss from the start!

Nate
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

nathug wrote:You may just need to get a better set of headphones. I live in NYC and most the time have the volume close to max, and I own a set of heavely closed Sennheisers. If your using the ones that came with the iPhone you are at a loss from the start!

Nate
I can definitely agree with this... one of the wires on my V-Moda iPhone headphones started shorting out, so I've been using my Apple headphones until I can get a replacement. They are much quieter, and hurt my ears after awhile.
ThoOom

Post by ThoOom »

Ok, thx for the tip, I'll try to buy new a headset just to double check. (btw, it's still workign well with other movies and when listenning to audio podcast or mp3)
For Subler, (I'm on Windows) i'll try to understand how to us eit.

Thx
ThoOom
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

ThoOom wrote:For Subler, (I'm on Windows) i'll try to understand how to us eit.
I think Subler is Mac-only, unfortunately.
Hello
Novice

Post by Hello »

Did you try increasing the sound in iTunes by using get info? Under options there is a volume adjustment and you can go up to +100% volume. It also changes the volume on synced devices (at least it does on my iPod, should be the same for iPhones).
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

Hello wrote:Did you try increasing the sound in iTunes by using get info? Under options there is a volume adjustment and you can go up to +100% volume. It also changes the volume on synced devices (at least it does on my iPod, should be the same for iPhones).
You should be careful of this as you can start to distort the headphone pre-amp in the iPods/Phones etc. Also if you add an EQ setting on top of this, you can actual destroy your headphones very easily even at low volumes. This happens when a pre-amp sends out a signal that is clipped called a square wave. Even at low volumes this will kill you headphones in a short space of time.

Nate
Hello
Novice

Post by Hello »

I hear that. Just suggesting.