Playing "iPhone" file on other device

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
AndersS

Playing "iPhone" file on other device

Post by AndersS »

Hi,

I am all new to this and do not understand much of the "technical" discussions on the forum. I however have a small problem that I could use assistance with. I have converted some DVD movies using the "iPhone" preset in handBrake, they play very well on my iPhone, so well in fact that my kids always keep stealing it to watch movies. To get around that problem I bought another (cheaper) .mp4 player for them to use to watch movies. But the "iPhone" mp4 will not play in it, I have actually tried two different players without success.

So my questions are:
Is there something special about the "iPhone" preset that makes it impossible to play it on other mp4 players?
Is there any settings I could use to be able to play the files on both my iPhone and my other mp4 players?

Best Regards,

Anders S
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Playing "iPhone" file on other device

Post by s55 »

Is there something special about the "iPhone" preset that makes it impossible to play it on other mp4 players?
Nope. It just means that you brought a player with crappy support for video files.
Is there any settings I could use to be able to play the files on both my iPhone and my other mp4 players?
I don't know what specifically causes your other player to fall over, it could just be that it doesn't support the video codecs.

If your file is .m4v, try renaming it to .mp4, failing that, you might want to consider a better device. the iPhone preset doesn't do anything magic.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

AndersS wrote:Is there any settings I could use to be able to play the files on both my iPhone and my other mp4 players?
Not if you don't tell us which other player(s) you're using…
AndersS

Post by AndersS »

Hi again,

Thanks for the interest so far, I will try to give some more details.

I am using Handbrake version 0.9.1 on a Mac OS X v10.4
The player I am trying on now is a BMORN BM-886, this is a Chinese brand that I do not think you can find outside China (I live in Shanghai). Here is a link to the manufacturer with some basic specs:
http://www.bmorn.com/en/showpro.asp?id=382&lb=8

I tried downloading a random .mp4 file from the web (http://mymp4clips.com/tennis_kid.html) this one works prefectly on the player.

So in conclusion I am completely confused....

Best Regards,

Anders
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

We can't support these insanely old builds. Too much has changed. See http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6701

My advise, ditch the "mp4 player". These generic players are generally useless paperweights. It doesn't even support H.264 (what the iPhone preset uses) so really your limited to poor quality Mpeg-4 encoding instead. (which you can do by changing the encode in HB)
AndersS

Post by AndersS »

Hi again,

I am sorry if I bothered someone with my question, I did not see this as a supportsite but assumed it was just a forum.

Anyhow thank you for solving my problem. For a 3 year old watching Pingu on a 2.5 inch screen the quality may not be the most important and the Mpeg-4 encoding is more than good enough.

Again thanks!

/Anders