Best audio for the long run?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
rabidjade

Best audio for the long run?

Post by rabidjade »

After reading for the past few weeks containers, formats, compressions, and so forth I am still at one hurdle. What is the best audio format for the long run? I want to be able to play my finished product without issues on my PC and my inbound PCH A-110 (getting rid of my Dlink DSM-750, long story). My current test converts are made from DVD images ripped with DVD HD Fab and then converted into H264/MKV/AAC/60% DVD Quality. The audio is very low on the TV/Surround Sound via Dlink (using it as a test bed until the PHC shows up) and I almost have to max out my RCA surround sound setup to get the audio as a normal level. The same goes for my PC using the CCCP codec pack and Media Player classic. So I have a few questions.

1. Is AAC any better/worse than AC3 for my intended application?
2. Is there a way to boost the sound volume within HB to make the volume at least a little higher for the finished converts?
3, Are there any preferences for the Popcorn Hour A-110 by current owners with the above information? I'll ask more questions when I get the unit in the right forums.

Otherwise HB is better than expected and better than what I used to use (DVD Catalyst 3)

edit: corrected some spelling errors.
rabidjade

Re: Best audio for the long run?

Post by rabidjade »

The main question I would like to know is AAC or AC3 better for my criteria? I converted the same movie with both audio formats today and AC3 sounds a little louder than AAC. I couldn't tell the difference in quality. After this I prefer AC3 due to the higher volume level on my media appliance but want to know the faults compared to using AAC.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Answering the questions from your initial post.

AAC isn't any better or worse, although if you're interested in quality and don't mind the marginal increase in filesize I'd go with AC3 passthrough.

The reason the audio is quieter with AAC is that the original AC3 track uses DRC hinting, try bumping the DRC on the audio tab to somewhere between 1.5-2.5 on your next encode.

I can't give you any specific advice on the PCH A-110 although from the reviews and reports I've read, it'll play just about anything... in which case I'd probably use something along the lines of the high profile Constant Quality preset, tweaking the "psy-rd=1,1" in the advanced options tab to "psy-rd=1,0.2" to avoid bloating.
rabidjade

Post by rabidjade »

Thanks for the reply Ted. I might just stick with AC3 pass-through since I don't mind the slightly larger file sizes and for future proofing. The one issue I had read about the A110 and HB converts is an issue with making MKV files where these files have to be ran through another application to make them play correctly on the A110. However, that is for another time and thread.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

TedJ wrote:Answering the questions from your initial post.

AAC isn't any better or worse, although if you're interested in quality and don't mind the marginal increase in filesize I'd go with AC3 passthrough.

The reason the audio is quieter with AAC is that the original AC3 track uses DRC hinting, try bumping the DRC on the audio tab to somewhere between 1.5-2.5 on your next encode.

I can't give you any specific advice on the PCH A-110 although from the reviews and reports I've read, it'll play just about anything... in which case I'd probably use something along the lines of the high profile Constant Quality preset, tweaking the "psy-rd=1,1" in the advanced options tab to "psy-rd=1,0.2" to avoid bloating.
Just an FYI. DRC doesn't work for AC3 files that have been created from DTS, HD-DTS or TrueHD with eac3to, as the AC3 file doesn't contain the DRC profile that is needed for DRC to work correctly. This is a really pain when you live in NYC apartments.

I wish someone would fix this!! I'm fed up with Blu-rays not having an AC3 track.

Nate
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

nathug wrote:
TedJ wrote:Answering the questions from your initial post.

Just an FYI. DRC doesn't work for AC3 files that have been created from DTS, HD-DTS or TrueHD with eac3to, as the AC3 file doesn't contain the DRC profile that is needed for DRC to work correctly. This is a really pain when you live in NYC apartments.

I wish someone would fix this!! I'm fed up with Blu-rays not having an AC3 track.

Nate
I'd expect the DRC info to be included in the core AC3 found in TrueHD soundtracks, at least from Bluray. Isn't there an option to disable the removal of this via the command line in eac3to?
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

Possibly, I always use ClownBD as it makes life so easy with all the new Disney Blu-ray being multiply titles. Sin City has about 24, all have to be joined up!! At least with ClownBD I can push go and walk away.

I have yet to try sending a TrueHD file into HB. Can this be done? I herd that HB might be able to see the AC3 core, I have yet had time to play with this.

Nate
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

nathug wrote:Possibly, I always use ClownBD as it makes life so easy with all the new Disney Blu-ray being multiply titles. Sin City has about 24, all have to be joined up!! At least with ClownBD I can push go and walk away.

I have yet to try sending a TrueHD file into HB. Can this be done? I herd that HB might be able to see the AC3 core, I have yet had time to play with this.

Nate
Yes, but only from Bluray discs... The HDDVD spec TrueHD tracks didn't include the core AC3 track like Bluray does.

This works very well, at least when using SVN code.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

Cool I give it a try on my next True-HD disc. I'm currently encoding my collection, my 2 year old like to play with Daddies discs!!!

Nate
rabidjade

Post by rabidjade »

Well, did a few converts with the AC3 track.

MKV/H264(x264)/AC3/62% DVD Quality

Movies are averaging between 1.5GB and 2.7GB depending on the movie. So I guess this is good then.